Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 10:19:56 AM EDT
I am well aware of Sarco's reputation, having done an extensive search of the archive back to 2000.

Seems they do ship both good and junk parts, but all agree their customer service sucks.

However this looks like an awesome deal, if the parts aren't junk or defective.

Has anyone ordered one of these, or know someone who has?
I probably won't play the "Sarco Lottery" and order one unless I hear some positive comments.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
tagged
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I would like to know if they are worth it too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of the "humper" special versions a couple months ago for less that $100.00.

It and the lower were in great condition.  The reason is was priced less is the fact that you can close it without using the button.  It still locks up solid.  

I hate the button anyway...

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have one. Great deal. Mine needed a bit of attention to make it look good again. Not much, but just a few touch ups with some AlumaBlack to get it looking new again.
I finished out the lower with all DSA parts and Gear logo upper assembly I had and it looks good and shoots just as good.

You will need to get the Para carrier and recoil spring for your rifle. Oops, top cover also.

Well I was going to use it as the starting point for a new metric build since I only have an Inch, so the additional parts are fine.

Sound like it might be good after all.

Thanks for your opinons!

_DR
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one each of the $100. and the $150. units. I felt the extra $50. unit was worth it, it was unnumbered and the folding knuckle button worked, while the "humper special" unit didn't. Both were "re-finished" with black BBQ paint.

I ended up completely disassembling both knuckles, and found that the buttons were just full of gunk. After cleaning, I bead blasted the knuckles, lowers and stocks, reassembled and parkerized the knuckles and lowers.
The unnumbered lower came out really nice, but the "humper" lower came out splotchy, so I ended up painting it with several coats of Brownell's AlumaHydeII dark park grey, bake curing and rubbing it down with cosmoline. It came out a close match to the park'd knuckles and my DCI upper.
After the (aluminum)stocks were blasted, I filled, filed and smoothed the arms, replaced the tube spacer with a new piece from the FAL Files Marketplace, and finished them with several  coats of Brownell's AlumaHydeII matte black. Installed them with new steel stock bolts, also from FAL Files Marketplace, that I also park'd.

If your building one up from scratch, Falcon Arms has New US production  for ALL the lower receiver parts, para spring sets, para carriers (with/without sand cuts) and comeing soon para top covers. For a railed top cover, the Grenadier Precision  COP is definately the best choice.

ed; if you do order from Sarco, remember to get the rear sight!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
if i get the para stock how many other parts would i need to complete the switch and about howmuch more would i have to spend?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
if i get the para stock how many other parts would i need to complete the switch and about howmuch more would i have to spend?

Since it comes with the stripped lower you would need the PARA carrier and buffer, the FCG (hammer trigger sear), pistol grip and selector. and pivot pin to complete the lower. That's the cheap part.

The rest is all the upper. How much you spend depends on the parts. anywhere from $400 to $1500 depending on what you want.  Complete upper is needed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone have close up pics of this stock?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
... I recently bought one - Very rough
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one and it's pretty nice.  It's got plenty of finish wear on the toe and heel of the stock but it works fine and locks up tight.  I think I'll use it "as-is."
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I bought one of the "humper" special versions a couple months ago for less that $100.00.

It and the lower were in great condition.  The reason is was priced less is the fact that you can close it without using the button.  It still locks up solid.  

I hate the button anyway...

+1

I stripped the paint and sprayed it with Alumihyde (sp).  Looks great.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
im confused?  does this mean i need a complete new upper also not just the para lower and bolt carrier?  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
im confused?  does this mean i need a complete new upper also not just the para lower and bolt carrier?  

You will need a para lower, para bolt carrier and para recoil spring assembly.  You do not need a new upper.  Just make sure you get the correct para top cover.  If you have a para cut receiver, you will need a Para Steel Top Cover - nose at front, stand-off at rear.  If you have a standard Metric (non-para) receiver - no nose at front, no stand-off at rear.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#17]
i have a non para upper so which top cover do i need?  can any one post a picture of the to so i can tell what the differances.   thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will need a para lower, para bolt carrier and para recoil spring assembly.  You do not need a new upper.  Just make sure you get the correct para top cover.  If you have a para cut receiver, you will need a Para Steel Top Cover - nose at front, stand-off at rear.  If you have a standard Metric (non-para) receiver - no nose at front, no stand-off at rear.  

The unit Sarco sells comes attached to the lower already AFAIK.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
yes i saw that on the website,i wil be ordering one next week. its just the bolt carrier and other stuff i need that im unclear on! as an aside where did you go to airassualt school? DR
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i have a non para upper so which top cover do i need?  can any one post a picture of the to so i can tell what the differances.   thanks

DSA P035US
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
yes i saw that on the website,i wil be ordering one next week. its just the bolt carrier and other stuff i need that im unclear on! as an aside where did you go to Air Assault school? DR

Campbell, Class 51-83 (long, long time ago when Blackhawks were relatively new!)

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#23]
ft campbell class 6-78 roster number 42 when the blackhawk was known as the uttas.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ft campbell class 6-78 roster number 42 when the blackhawk was known as the uttas.

Impressive! Blood Wings? I had to ask for them, as they would not otherwise do them any more.

I was Roster number 614.  Still etched in my memory is this: "614, get the HELL off my tower RIGHT NOW" as the Air Assault Instructor gave me 10 feet of slack on the Australian rappel. Ouch.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#25]
i remember AIR ASSULT every time my left foot hit the ground. and being told climb that rope and kiss my airassualt wings , they where 3 foot acrossand mounted 20 ft off the ground..  

how do i tell if my receiver is para cut or not?   does antone have pictures of the to side by side
so a poor ol car 15 shooter can tell the differance
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's a thread discussing the paracut, with pics.
I wasn't aware this was needed, good to know.

Para cut thread on Fal Files

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#27]
thanks for the link i looked at my upper compared to the one in the photo's and im still not sure if
my upper has the cuts or not.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#28]
on a new note what else would have to be changed to be us componet compliant?  ie: if you use a surplus lower with folder what us componets would have to be subsituted?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Gun Plumber Says it better than me so I'll quote.

GUNPLUMBER'S INTERPRETATION
(Note that my "common-sense" interpretation is not legally binding, official, etc.) The FAL does not have all of the parts listed. It has no mounting block, barrel extension, operating rod or disconnector. Nevertheless, Ed Owens, former director of ATF Technology Branch "interpreted" a cocking handle to be an operating rod. That the two parts are as similar as a golf club and a tomato does not seem to matter. I am disappointed that someone as high up in firearms technology is incapable of making such a basic nomenclature distinction, but that's what we have to work with. So the FAL has only the following potentially "imported parts"

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Muzzle attachment
(4) Bolt
(5) Bolt carrier
(6) Gas piston
(7) Trigger housings (lower receiver?)
(8) Operating rod [sic]
(9) Trigger
(10) Hammer
(11) Sear
(12) Buttstock
(13) Pistol grip
(14) Handguards
(15) Magazine body
(16) Magazine Follower
(17) Magazine Floor plate

That is 17 "evil" parts - 7 of which must be replaced with US made parts. Quality parts are available from a number of vendors - see the links page.

The 7 US parts ARS prefers are included in this list of 11 parts. Hammer, trigger, and sear are usually only available as sets.
1. US receiver (DSA, DC Industries/FAC/Coonan)
2. US flash suppressor (ARS, DSA)
3. US gas piston (FSE, DSA)
4. US pistol grip (FSE, PSAW, DSA)
5. US trigger (FSE, DSA)
6. US trigger (FSE, DSA)
7. US sear (FSE, DSA)
8. US butstock (PSAW Premium)
9. US handguards (DSA, PSAW, TAPCO)
10. US lower receiver - aluminum (DSA)
11. US cocking handle -steel (SM, FSE, DSA, TAPCO)

These are the 7 US parts on mY L1A1 Clone:

Gas piston (Tapco)
Walnut Buttstock (IWD)
Walnut Pistol Grip (IWD)
Hammer (CAI)
Trigger (CAI)
Sear  (CAI)
Upper Receiver (CAI)

Not a good idea to use the the Mag floorplates or followers as US parts IMO as the mag may not be in the assembled weapon all the time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
thanks for the link i looked at my upper compared to the one in the photo's and im still not sure if

Unless you have a factory para or cut the receiver yourself, you probably don't have the para cut. If you want to use the original para top cover you can have the cut done for ~$50 by a smith, or do it yourself. If you do it yourself, the tooling for a proper job runs about $50.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#31]
ok thanks for the heads up! i like youre sig signature also as i am a p229 fan also.
i still think i will go with the sarco lower though. as the dsa seams a little pricing for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you have a factory para or cut the receiver yourself, you probably don't have the para cut. If you want to use the original para top cover you can have the cut done for ~$50 by a smith, or do it yourself. If you do it yourself, the tooling for a proper job runs about $50.

Would it not be possible and much less expensive to modify a standard dustcover?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#33]
does sarco offer the para bolt carrier and springs also? i cant find them on thier site.
dr please let me know when you get yours do to some health problems i have to hold off till
after may 15th.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
does sarco offer the para bolt carrier and springs also? i cant find them on thier site.
dr please let me know when you get yours do to some health problems i have to hold off till
after may 15th.

I am unable to order them right now due to our fridge wearing out.
I hope they have them in stock for a little while longer....for both our sakes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Is it a steel lower or aluminum?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
after may 15th.

Para carrier(US), springs, guides, and soon, top cover, are all available from Falcon Arms
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#37]
damn i think in to broke for a para. the cheapest i have found is about 600 dollars. thats more than i gave for the whole rifle which shoots and looks great.  i think im going to with the advice of older and wiser friends "if itaint broke dont fix it"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top