Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 6:42:53 AM EDT
Don't know why , but I love this pistol !       Problem is that damm 38 S&W cal. , Low power , no bullet selection , costly . etc.   I know S&W made this pistol in both 38S&W and 38 Spl , Question is , are they the same pistol  , built to handle the same pressures ? Can I safely convert a 38 S&W chambered Victory to 38 Spl. ? The diff. in cost of these pistols is quite a few $$ . I see "cherry" 38 S&W's all the time for less then $150 , but the same pistol in 38 Spl will bring $350 ++ . I knoe the conversion will destroy the collecter value , but I just want one as a shooter.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, and No.. The conversion consists of replacing the barrel and cylinder with .38 Special parts..(But the parts would probably cost more than the revolver) Some earlier importers got away by just replacing the cylinders, but accuracy was minute of barn at best.. (The .38 S&W bore is a bit larger than the Special)

You could try handloading the .38S&W..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
.38 S&W use .3600" and .38 S&W Special .3610" diameter bullet.

.38 S&W case is .775" long and the cartridge 1.180"; .38 S&W Special case is 1.115" (almost as long as the entire .38 S&W cartridge) and the OAL is 1.55".  

The Brits bought a bunch of .38 S&W pistols for WW2.  I never figured out why.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
.38 Special uses .358" lead bullets.

The reason the Brits had .38 S&W revolvers is because it is similar to their .38-200 service cartridge.  When foreign powers complained about the 200 grain lead bullet, they went to a 170something grain jacketed bullet.

My bro. let me shoot his Victory Revolver, and the .358 bullets we shot out of it went into a large cone of dispersion.  Guess we should have mike'd the barrel i.d.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Put it away for history and shoot something else.........
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all Advice and Replys. Guess I will just break down and buy a 38spl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top