Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/21/2016 10:31:58 AM EDT
At the fun show two weekends ago, I bought a ammo can full of "duds."

Sorry no pics yet but it contained 8mm, 30.06, .308, .223, 7.62x54r, 9mm, and .45s mostly, a few random ones thrown in.

My question is: For the rounds where the case is bent beyond use, or the primer was a dud, is it safe to pull the bullet, pour the powder into a new primed case, and re-seat the same bullet over the exact same powder charge?

I'm thinking more for the 7.62x54 and maybe the 30.06 more so than for the pistol rounds.

I can't see how this would not be safe, but I wanted to double check before I started.

Hopefully I can throw some pics up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:37:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:40:54 AM EDT
I'd be personally dump the powder & only be cannibalising two main items - the cases & the bullets.
BUT
If the ammo is recent manufacture (1960's onward) & the powder looks ok, then this MAY be an additional option: though I'd batch the rounds of one type, pull the powder & weigh each charge; work out the average of say 10 to 20 charges, then use the powder this way - may gain you a slight increase in accuracy, may just be a time waster.

Have fun!

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:18:56 AM EDT
I'm conservative in my approaches to things...............

I wouldn't mess with the powder. You have no idea what it is, if it is a correct charge or it the powder is any good.

(ie. the primer is struck but doesn't fully lite the powder...........a dud....... you come along and want to reuse the powder.......... ??)

All these rds were in the dud box for a reason..............

How many of each are we talking? 5-10...............
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:21:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2016 11:28:30 AM EDT by Trollslayer]
I started to type some suggestions but this is potentially dangerous with lots of subtle permutations. Photos would help but,...

One issue: crimped-in military primer is unlikely to be dead and punching out live, crimped-in military primer is , well,... dangerous.

Can you just transfer the powder and bullet to a new primed case (do this one case at a time, no powder mixing)? Then, you could take the old (empty) primed cases to the range and fire them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:53:18 PM EDT
Where were the 7.62X54 mm rounds from? What military range this side of the USSR shoots them?
Top Top