Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2006 1:56:31 PM EDT
Taking my Sail Boat on a trek through various islands soon.  Any suggestions from the old salts on a Marine or Salt Water type shotgun, night sites, etc.  I plan on staying away from the reported "hot spots".  With that said though, I'm still somewhat concerned about the bad guys on the water, but also the potentially over zealous 3rd world customs agents etc. "protecting" these countries.  I think a black gun or AK might create too much heat from the local constables (and the fines either imposed by a Judge or seaside squad) but a Shotgun might make it under the radar and also have the intended deterent effect if unfortunately needed at sea.

Thanks in advance for the advice and consule.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Remington Marine Magnum. Link
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Benelli Nova H20.

Or a standard Benelli Nova.

It's half plasic and heavily finished.

I shoot my nova tactical in the rain all the time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a double 12 ga and have it nickle plated. SxS or OU is going to be easier to "Justify" to the customs guys. .72 slugs are going to take the fight right out of a pirate.

I have heard of cool stuff especialy 38 super pistols being "stolen" from customs seal in the spanish speaking parts of the caribean.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Danish
Thanks for the great idea.  I think it may be too great, as the customs boys may see the purty little thing all nickeled up and take it home to their vil.  

I agree, the real Johnny Depps of the Caribean, on the poop deck will be diving for davey jones with .72 slugs swaggering their way.  Thanks again for the rapid response.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet, Ballistic, and thanks for the link as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks much RDB.  I hadnt heard of this little aquanaught before I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
pirates of the caribbean...take plenty of ammo and pics - good sailing!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Danish
Thanks for the great idea.  I think it may be too great, as the customs boys may see the purty little thing all nickeled up and take it home to their vil.  

I agree, the real Johnny Depps of the Caribean, on the poop deck will be diving for davey jones with .72 slugs swaggering their way.  Thanks again for the rapid response.

Old Stevens double then. Don't make it too attactive to La Policia.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a couple used police tradein 870s, strip them down, sand blast and put Norrells molycote on them.  Then get some composite or plastic stocks for them.

They won't be "purdy" but they won't rust, and they will do the job.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Remington Marine Magnum. Link

Either that or a Mossberg 500 Mariner:

6 Shot

Or the 9 shot...

Or the AOW variant

There is also a rescue line deployment kit that came with a Mossberg 500 Mariner 9 shot (furniture was blazing orange).

Your choice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Go buy any used 870, Give it a crylon black paint job & off you go.
If you lose it to the local Police who cares?
But if ocean pirates are what worries you, You should have something with a little more range. Like a .308 semi !  On the ocean Distance is your friend
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#13]
GOOD NEWS
Remington has introduced a NEW "Magnum Marine" with some type of new black coating.  The new Remington Magnum Marine XCS:
www.remington.com/what's_new/2007_spring_products/

also:
www.remington.com/pdfs/Spring2007_fi.pdf

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Great info and insight from all. Thanks very much! Its time to go shoppin' and then some island hoppin'.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Did the Bahamas for a year back in '84 on a 32 foot ketch. I would +1 on the 870 mariner.  Check the websites of the countries you're planning to visit. Print copies of their regs pertaining to firearms. When I went, I had a SPAS 12, a Browning Auto-5, a S&W 66 snub, and a 22 Walther PP.  The SPAS (IMHO) was a POS but intimidating. I am NOT a fan of "scaring" people, but IF showing a firearm could end something before it starts, I'd guess the SPAS would do it. We had our Springer Spaniel with us and really had no problems at all. Andros was a smuggling hotbed at the time so when we went through the Bahama Bank I simply moved up on deck with the dog. FWIW, in the Bahamas (at least back then) their Cutoms was more concerned with ammo count than what weapons you brought in. I'd suggest a good "lock-it-up" arrangement and a way to store your ammo that is reeeeeal easy to keep/make a round count in. My 2c.
Enjoy,  Stay safe

eMail me or post if there's anything else I can help with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top