Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2002 11:12:51 AM EDT
Gents I am interested in this rifle.  Does anyone have one?  Has anyone converted it to use AK mags and standard AK pistol grip and stock.

Am I better off buying a different AK?

THanks

Max
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this that $179 rifle with no pistol grip, etc, etc? I've seen those and wondered about them also.

They look like they might be CaliBan legal.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep thats the one.  I really dont know if they are cali legal though.  Sucks to be in California.

Max
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I just spent 4 days shooting one. Its a great little rifle. It takes standard AK mags, however i had some FTL on the bulgarian mag with hollow points. theres no real feedramp in the saiga. the 10rd mag worked fine though. it was pretty accurate at the 100yrd range we were shooting, nailed soda cans and stuff. i loved the trigger too, it was great. my only gripe is since the trigger is so far back, its hard to reach the saftey. it is an awesome rifle though, great bang for the buck. what it really comes down to is wether or not you want a pistol grip and if you want to pay and extra $100+ for it.

edetid becuz i kant spel.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I owned one a while back.  It's a great lead-tosser for the pricetag.  I only sold mine to buy an SAR1.

Good for the price.  That's my vote.  I would also scan the AK pages and search for 'Saiga.'

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]
CDNN had a special of the month of June for $159.00 and free shipping. The best $ 159.00 I have spent on a rifle in the current market. You can modify a std AK mag to work in them. The 20" version is more accurate than the std AK's or SKS's.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
While these *can* be converted back to standard AK configuration, the cost of the conversion is as much as buying a SAR-1, and that doesn't even include the price of the Saiga.  Generally, conversions are only done to the .308 versions, as that's the only way to get a .308 AK.  If you want a "modern" AK, get a VEPR II.

And, no, Saigas are NOT PRK legal.  Being built on an AK receiver, they are banned by name.

-Troy

Hmm...didn't know that, I learned something today.  Cool.

Cheers Troy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
While these *can* be converted back to standard AK configuration, the cost of the conversion is as much as buying a SAR-1, and that doesn't even include the price of the Saiga.  Generally, conversions are only done to the .308 versions, as that's the only way to get a .308 AK.  If you want a "modern" AK, get a VEPR II. -Troy

Troy, god of the AR-15, I never in my life thought I would ever correct you. You are the most respected person on this forum when it comes to knowledge about the AR-15 and guns in general. Nevertheless, here it goes:

The VEPR II is not a modern AK. It's essentially a heavy RPK receiver with improved furniture for ergonomics. It has a heavier barrel as well for better accuracy. That's why it gets such great groups.

The Saiga 7.62 mm rifle is basically a new Izmash AK-103 made politically correct. Krebs and AK-USA uses this receiver (and the cold hammer forged barrel) as a basis for their AK-103 conversion rifles, which is the top technology coming out of Russia today, short of the AN-94 Akaban. When made right or mated with the right barrel, these guns shoot 1" at 100 yards, or so says Marc Krebs

www.cruffler.com/review-December-00.html

Here's the AK-108 in .308 Win Krebs Custom makes:

www.cruffler.com/Features/FEB-02/review-February-02.html

Here's two good sites:

www.ak-103.com
www.krebscustom.com

Oh, and by the way, the following statements are the effects of hanging out in the AK forum for WAY TOO LONG. CampyBob and Co. is a very destructive thing for the mind of a young 21 year old shooter like myself. You will become an AK alcoholic faster than you can bump fire a 30 round mag.

themao
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
WHEW! For a moment there I thought you had a brain laspe or something.

themao
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top