Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 1:42:16 PM EDT
I ran accross this package and it seems really cool, but I've never heard of the company.  I was hoping to get more info about the quality, warranty and service from these guys.  
Look them up @ SpecialWeaponsInc.com

SW 760P
Pistol and Sporting Rifle combo

The SW760P fires from a closed bolt in semi-automatic mode. This pistol has a simple blowback system it also includes a rifle conversion with 16" barrel and folding stock. This is a semi auto version of the famous Smith and Wesson 76 submachine gun, that was used in Vietnam and by many police departments as their first tactical submachinegun.
The basic configuration of this weapon makes for an ideal a low cost pistol caliber carbine.

Tech Data & Specs
Caliber .9 mm *19
Operating Principle simple blowback
Feed Device Double stack magazine  36-round capacity
Rifling 1:10
Length (overall) 19.5 inches
Barrel Length 8.0 inches
Sight Radius 11.1 inches
Width (overall) 2.55 inches
Weight 8.4 pounds  

Accessories
Magazine
Carry sling

Can anyone anyone give me the short version of the rules about pistol/rifle conversions?

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never handled any of their products, but from what I've seen over the last few years, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on this site who likes them. And that's probably a major understatement.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on this site who likes them. And that's probably a major understatement.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I had posted questions to Special Weapons Inc and I just got this response

I have a few questions about the SW760 P rifle/ pistol package you are displaying.  I've also seen the rifle at SOG as a SW76X with a fixed stock.

Questions:

1.    Are this weapons rated for +P ammo or +P+ ?yes

2.    Can I put a folding stock on the SW76X from SOG. yes cost $65 from top notch www.top-notchparts.com

3.    I know there are restrictions about changing a rifle to a pistol and visa/versa.  Can you give me the short version of the restrictions?

A pistol and go back and forth but  NOT a rifle

Or refer me to the chapter and verse for the full version? Under the define of a rifle by atf a rifle becomes illegal to make if it is under a given lenght, it becomes an sbr (short barreled rifle at 26") reguardless of the stock or barrel lenght. With a pistol there is no such restriction.

4.    What is the warranty on these weapons? Life time

So, does anyone have experiance with these guys?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
BobC... I'm not sure what you're tring to say, do you have any dealing with these folks?

This is the ad at SOG

This is a semi-auto copy and is similar to the famous Smith & Wesson 76 sub-machine guns are brand new and are a high quality manufactured by an American company. These have a milled reciever with a 16” barrel, grey steel stock, matte blue finish, recoil operated blow back bolt system, chrome lined bore and fixed peep sight. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back!

REG: $395.00

The pistol kit was $475 but you get the short bbl and long bbl and a folding stock.  It looks so cool

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
The local gun store got one of these on trade in, and being a S&W 76 fan I was intrigued. The gun looked like it was of decent quality, for a "cheap" stamped sub gun. It comes with the 16 inch barrel and folding stock and then a shorter pistol barrel. Its a cool gun, especially if you like this model and its a good value for a 9mm carbine which are just a blast to own. The only drawback I can see to this particular gun is that the magazines aren't exactly common and they can be expensive when you locate them. Another consideration is the pistol to rifle conversion. If you have the stock on the weapon in addition to the short pistol barrel you have just created a illegal SBR. If I had the pistol barrel mounted, I would leave the stock at home. Its best not to be in the grey area when dealing with gun laws...especially when the BATF loves to crucify people for NFA violations. IIRC, there was a major decision a few years back with a gun made by Thompson Center, maybe it was the contender?, which was a pistol that could easily be configured into a rifle.
The supreme court made a ruling about such a weapon which would be pertinent to your situation and you would be good to reasearch it further. I would also call the BATF about this weapon just to make sure. Violating the NFA is no joke...it could really wreck your life, so be careful. Given the

deplorable rep of Special Weapons I would be hesitant to buy one of thier guns but this one seems pretty simple and rugged and appears to be well made. I really like the S&W 76 so I am inclined to explore it further, if magazines can be had for a fair price. You should be fine shooting +P ammo as these weapons were still in use by the Navy in the 80's and the would have been shooting M882 ball which is +P or hotter. I wouldn't shoot the Hirtenberger +P+ stuff as I don't think it offers any benefit over a standard +P loading especially at the risk of detonation. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
SOG had the 32 round mags for $13.xx each.

After I got the first response from SWI, I sent another query about what was covered under the warranty and where I might buy one.

Their response was quick (but they should use sp. check)

tact weapons sells them 480-830-5652

if the parts break due to anything other then abuse or damage due to customer involvement ie customizing then the parts are covered you pay shipping on parts and gun under warrenty

BTW, Thanks for the heads up about the SBR, I think I do need to get the chapter and verse into my hot, sweaty hands before I actually make a buy.

It seems as if no one has anything good to say about the folks/ customer service at SWI.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It seems as if no one has anything good to say about the folks/ customer service at SWI.

There was a time a while back that Spzul Weaponz was getting royally flamed on their guns, customer service & attitude. Fortunately, I was not involved in a sale from them but the threads were horrendous towards them from virtually all who did have involvement. That was why I ROFL.

Do a search in archieves, perhaps, & you might stumble upon those threads?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out the S&W 76 forum over at uzitalk.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Check out the S&W 76 forum over at uzitalk.com

Thanks this was a good link
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#10]
You're going to be hard-pressed to find a lot of Special Weapons fans over here
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got one, and the sumoi smg mags fit it and can be readily modified by anyone with a dremmel and a ruler. I got six mags for a sumoi and made them fit and function 100% in my sw760. they were eight dollars apiece.

Edit to add: You need to start witha clean oiled weapon, but you can get about 240 rounds thru the guns before the failures to feed start. then it will clear and work for about 60 more rounds... then you have a single shot weapon. So she is not an UZI, but they are fun fun fun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks 11V

So where are you located?  How much of a job was it to clean up and get it functioning again, what seemed to be the problem?
Any chance you're going to be at Octoberblast in Waco this month weekend?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top