Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2002 8:00:56 AM EDT
Does anybody have any specs to compare these too. I know one is a Sniper rifle and the other is an assualt style rifle. but what is the Max range for each of these guns. I have an AR15. Well I haven't fired it yet. and I'm also getting an SVD after the first of next year. going to get good with the AR first. Would like to go to a .50 but can't afford any of the guns out there. unless somebody knows were I can get one for under a grand.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:14:03 AM EDT
Hi, ?

The SVD fires a full-caliber battle rifle cartridge, the 7.62x54R. The AR-15, a varmint cartridge, 5.56x45.

I'm not sure what you mean by "max range." Either will be accurate as far as you can see with iron sights, and, with the proper ammo (e.g., 77gr Sierras), out to 600 yards and beyond with scopes.

Regards,

Walt Kuleck
Author, "The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide"
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 5:37:39 AM EDT
Don't be suprised if you get poor accuracy at first with the SVD. They are ammo sensitive and you need to find a round the rifle will like. Much of the surplus ammo out now is a wide variety of stuff that may or may not shoot well in the SVD. The Soviets had a special sniper round for the SVD, and with this ammo the rifle is truly a good one. I'm sure you'll be abel to find a cheaper alternative though. Supposedly Wolf has/will have match available. I don't know the details, nor of anyone whose tried it, but I'll be trying some in my Romainian PSL.

Ross
Top Top