Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:20:34 AM EDT
Considering a SUIT scope as both as usable optic and to keep my L1A1 build authentic.

Must be usable and reliable as a combat optic?
Commments? Downsides and ups?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:25:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:49:20 AM EDT
Research so far tells me it is a very robust unit, and reliable, but heavy in weight.
Also the original tritium vials to illuminate the reticle were removed for importation, however battery powered non-radioactive drop-in ilumination alternatives can be purchased for about $50.

Still interested. I saw some a a gun show recently for $99.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 2:31:04 PM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:46:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raf:
Interesting as a low- cost collector piece (at present), but better, modern alternatives are available.

The SUIT was state of the art in the 60's. Not at all now.

Same thing is said by some about the F.A.L. and the M-14 too!

If they are affordable, (I can't swing nearly a grand for an A.C.O.G.) and functional (Military requirement) then seems like a good combination for a working man with a family to feed!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:02:10 PM EDT
The SUIT scope leaves a lot to be desired. I owned one but decided that much better choices were available and sold it. The aiming reticle is a VERY thick post with a triangle tip and IIRC it is centered top down so you can't even use holdovers for distance shots. Small field of view for such a large scope.

I put a DSA extended scope mount on my FAL and really like it. Very sturdy and retains zero well. I am using a 2 MOA Aimpoint right now with an Aimpoint 3X magnifier for distance shots. Great combination. I like my FAL but I really don't think the accuracy warrants more than a 4X scope.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:22:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:25:36 AM EDT
DSA weaver mount, and a Leapers T168 scope will walk circles around the SUIT. But SUIT's are cool.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:50:59 AM EDT

Thanks a lot for the opinions guys!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:55:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 7:56:18 AM EDT by Bigger_Hammer]

Originally Posted By JackMcC:
The aiming reticle is a VERY thick post with a triangle tip and IIRC it is centered top down so you can't even use holdovers for distance shots.

The reason the post is on TOP is that you can hold over WITHOUT having the thick post block your point of aim holding over!! The thick post is to aid in speedy shooting and the taper at the top for accuracy at range. Also you have range adjustment built into the SUIT so you can shift point of impact as your range increases.

Call me C-R-A-Z-Y .... but I LIKE the SUIT for what it does and the price it does it for!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Top Top