Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:35:26 AM EDT
How the hell do you get it off?!! I`ve been trying to get it off my austrian STG 58 from DSA. I oiled up the screws because it`s baically been in storage for the last 2 years and I want to change the furniture on it. Of course the manual doesn`t have instructions on this! They show how to strip the gun into its`smallest pieces, but not the bipod. I managed to get one screw off, but I stopped after  sarted to mangle the screw and started searing a blue streak. Anyone know an easier way?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
make, buy or borrow one of THESE
i'm sure there are WECSOG methods to be found on the FILES
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]

I took an extra large screwdriver (which would still not turn it by hand) and clamped onto it with extra large pliers. It finally turned. I had also soaked it in Liquid Wrench overnight.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
make, buy or borrow one of THESE
i'm sure there are WECSOG methods to be found on the FILES

Thanks for the link! I finally manage to get it off with screwdriver  after spraying the joint with lubricant and letting Brake Free soak in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
My bipod also had a thread locker on it like loc-tite.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Between removing the bipod and steel handguards, the rifle really lightened up. It feels much less muzzle heavy. I will say the attention to small details on the austrian stocks was surprising. They actually placed small anchors in the buttstock for the screws for the sling swivel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The bipod clamp itself is threaded (unless you've removed one this is not obvious). As a result, the castle nut is reallly a "lock nut", and so has to be removed first in order to unscrew the big wide head screw from the barrel clamp.
If you grind a notch out of the middle section of a big flat screwdriver, it makes a good tool to take off the castle nut.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top