Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 6:14:47 PM EDT
Hello,
I apologize if this is a question that has been asked before, but where can I get an STG 58 kit on the cheap?  

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
STG's are the premium kit now.  On the cheap?  Nada, probably the best deal going is FAC, gunthings.com at $325, or there abouts.  Actually you get a hell of a kit and in most occasions it doesn't need refinishing as was mine, still had paint in the lettering and numbers.  I Built mine on a Imbel GL and is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
DSA had StG-58 kits for $295.00 in absolutely excellent shape.

www.dsarms.com
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,
Now for another question.
It says for repair or replacement only, is there a way to build a semiauto rifle legally out of this kit? (besides meeting the 94 ban laws and the 6 us made parts)

Thanks again,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks,
Now for another question.
It says for repair or replacement only, is there a way to build a semiauto rifle legally out of this kit? (besides meeting the 94 ban laws and the 6 us made parts)

Thanks again,
Chris

No. there are no exception to the law.  i guess you could wait and see what happens next sept. although its really no big deal complying w/922. get yourself an FSE H/T/S set and and new set of furniture and your done.  as far as the ban goes you just need to permanently attach any muzzle device you use.  you said "on the cheap" so ill bet your not going to build a para, so no worries about folding stocks.
happy building!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#5]
So I just have to use US made Internals and a US made furniture set to comply with 922 and then dispose of the FA interals?  

I saw the Para type stock, and while cool looking, I really dont see the point in spending $500 for it and not being able to use it (well, if the ban goes away).

Thanks,
Chris  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So I just have to use US made Internals and a US made furniture set to comply with 922 and then dispose of the FA interals?  

Actually, you don't even need to do that.  The FAL isn't like the AR when it comes to the internals.  You can legally have all original parts except for a sear cut upper receiver, as long as you have 10 or fewer evil foreign parts from the list.  

BTW, the "replacement parts only" doesn't apply to individuals.  It only prevents importers from assembling rifles from these parts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahh, ok.
What are the evil foreign parts?

Sorry, I am an AR shooter (hence the FA stuff) and I am starting to contemplate a STG 58 Project. (Much to my bank accounts dismay)

Thanks,
Chris  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the list of EFPs:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forging or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (turnings)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) (Magazine) Followers
(20) (Magazine) Floorplates"

You may not have more than 10 of these on your rifle.  The FAL does not have a disconnector, mounting block or barrel extension.  So, if you build with a muzzle device, you need to replace 7 EFPs with "good domestic parts" or GDPs.  If you forgo a muzzle thingy, you only need 6.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for clarifying cliffy.  i should have mentioned the facty that a muzzle device adds one more needed US part.  
as for the $$.  i think you'll find that you could build a decent FAL for about the price of a good AR upper.  i know i did.  but then again,  multiple builds DO add up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Ahh, ok.  
Thanks for the clarification.  

Is there a place that gives a group discount?  My friends and I are looking into possibly doing a group build as a spring project.      

Does this mean that I can't use foreign manufactured magazines in it?  or does it have to be an internal magazine for that particular law to apply?

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
there was a group buy for stg kits but im pretty sure thats over.  you can use any mag you want but you just have to replace the floorplate with a US made one.  no need for fixed mags.  by replacing the floorplate the powers that be consider the mag to be american.  it only takes 5 seconds with a pair of pliers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Most people don't bother replacing anything on the magazine.  The common parts to replace are the hammer, trigger, sear (they come as a set), charging handle, pistol grip and either the forend or butt stock.  If you get a DSA or Coonan receiver, you can drop one of those.  

I found a good deal on 30 US floor plates.  There are a couple of my builds where I couldn't bring myself to replace so many nice parts and I make sure I have the correct mag at the range for those.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm.  

I bought a DSA STG kit a while back just for spare parts if my DSA FAL ever broke.  NOW you guys have me thinking (a bad thing I assure you).

So let's assume I wanted to build this into a rifle.  Where best to buy reciever and US parts to do this legally?

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hmmm.  

I bought a DSA STG kit a while back just for spare parts if my DSA FAL ever broke.  NOW you guys have me thinking (a bad thing I assure you).

So let's assume I wanted to build this into a rifle.  Where best to buy reciever and US parts to do this legally?

It always starts this way.  Tha addiction that is.  You'll take your spare parts set and build a rifle.  Then, you'll realize you need more parts.  Those parts will be prettier than your last kit and you'll want to build it too.  Then, you'll want a lightwieght, an Izzy and something with pretty wood.  You're screwed man!  Just like me.

Seriously though, FAC has both Imbel and Coonan receivers.  Gunthings has all the compliance parts you would ever need.  Do some reading at the falfiles and get crackin'.  

Resistance is futile.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh, and if you doubt me about the progression of the addiction, ask DavidP14 about how many kits he has and how many he is planning now.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#16]
How hard is it to assemble a FAL?  Does it need to be headspaced?

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#17]
he's right.  ive been totally converted.  first it was an imbel that went together beautifully.  now im working on an izzy clone. im also quietly stashing $$ for another kit which will be a "supercheap/lightweight" aka "the angry beaver experiment".  then in septmeber will be a para.
 after that im gonna build something else like mausers or AK's.  no really, i mean it......no, REALLY!!  why are you laughing?  im serious............OK, maybe a G1.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#18]
building a FAL isnt hard especially if you do at a build party where thare are experienced builders to help you.  yes it needs to be headspaced.  

check these sites out:
www.wecsog.org/fal/carbine/

www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn.  I just dug out that STG kit I bought from DSA.  Took a while to find it in the garage.

I tell you what, damn shame someone cut that upper reciever cause this was a pristine rifle prior to that.  The rifling is crisp, everything cleaned and oiled (no cosmoline on this thing).  Looks like a top of the line field weapon taken into the shop, reciever cut (seems like part of it is missing) and shipped.  

I'm not sure what the thing on the end of the barrel is, aw hell, here are some pictures.  Wait a minute I gotta take em and upload em.  

Sooooooo, can I build this as is or does the barrel whatever have to go?  I might pass if I can't retain the original look.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]
That is a pre-ban, "wire-cutter", flash hider. Check the DSA add in the SGN (or their website) for post-ban, FFH copies.

OBTW, if you decide you don't want to build it, I WANT IT!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Notack

Does that mean I must remove the flash hider from the barrel to build this one?  If so, I'll wait 10 months and see if the law dies a discreet death and allows me to build it as is.  If not, then I'll decide.

Sorry, I'm not interested in selling.  I'm a buyer - not seller.  Hmmm, maybe that is why I have too many toys to fit in the damn SAFE.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
 Hmmm, maybe that is why I have too many toys to fit in the damn SAFE.

I suffer from the same problem.

That is a nice kit.  I now know where to get the parts kit for my build.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#23]
That flash hider is screwed on to the barrel but be careful... it has left hand threads.  Turn to the right to remove it.  Get one of DSAs fake ones and save this one until September.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Well,
Thanks for the info all, but an unexpected oppurtunity to purchase an AR upper has set my STG dreams back about, oh, 6 months.  (Now I just need to get my trigger and I'll be all set)

Keep on shooting straight.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
The current STG kits available are immaculate. A buddy bought one from FAC and it looked like a brand new rifle was cut up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's a pic of a DSA STG kit I built for a co-worker.  The pic was taken right after I assembled the rifle and soldered the brake, which is why it has that burned look.  We took it out the next day and it repeatedly outshot his his match M1A using his handloads developed for the M1A.  It is a consistant sub MOA shooter with a scope.
www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=90744949703&photoid=66105602903&page=1&&refreshkey=1072933506519
I highly recommend the DSA kits.  They are pristine.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top