Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 7:02:55 PM EDT
I cleaned the DSA today (not a lot of crap inside, no metal shavings) and reassembled it wet with BreakFree.

After the fact, now I want to know should it be dry, use grease or wet lube?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:37:41 PM EDT
I use grease on the bolt rails first, then as she gets dirtier I use liquid as necc.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:38:52 PM EDT

I grease up:
The charging handle rail
Behind the selector lever
Behind the locking lever
The frame lock area and upper receiver where it contacts the lower
Joint pin and where it contacts the receiver
Front sight fixing plate
Trigger contact areas
Trigger plunger and spring
Top of hammer
and probably other little areas I can't remember right now

It's probably not necessary, but it's nice to do. Grease works its way into the nooks and crannies for a little more protection.

Oil the bolt and inside the bolt carrier and the receiver rails it rides on, and the hold open device and magazine release areas. You will notice a spring behind the mag release and there is another one hidden in the bolt hold open device. You want to make sure there is oil in there. Then do a general wipe down. I use CLP for my oiling needs.

Make sure to keep the piston and gas tube dry as oil will burn up if it gets in there.

If it is going to sit in the safe a while, open the gas plug assembly and oil it up, including the inside the FSB, or it might be rusty the next time you see it. Wipe it dry before the next shoot.

I also put a few drops of CLP down the barrel and around the flash suppressor and outside of the FSB, and wipe the exterior, leaving a nice layer of oil behind before putting it away. It is very important to do this all this extra oiling if you shoot in cold weather.

Now if you are going to war in the desert, forego the above and just lightly oil the bolt, inside the bolt carrier and the rails it rides in.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:30:07 PM EDT
What I do after a good cleaning is saturate/soak Everything with oil(Slip 2000) tip everypart up and let the excess run out overnight. Then wipe everyting down good and grease(Tetra or TW25B) the bolt rails and high wear areas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:52:01 AM EDT
+1 Robert's method. I use a synthetic grease on main wear parts that is formulated for very cold weather use and a personal mix of clp type and grease for everything else. I also put a bit on firing pin (less in winter). Process similar to maintiang your HK91/93 types. In blowing sand / dirt cut way back.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:12:51 PM EDT
Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:51:39 AM EDT
Keep the recoil springs oiled, but not drenched. You don't want grease on those springs.

I have adopted the practice of putting "nevr seize/anti sieze" compound on the gas regulator threads.
Top Top