Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:39:02 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting a DSA STG58. I noticed that it comes either with a 21" barrel or a shorter carbine length. Which is better? A both barrels surplus? Is the 21" barrel any more accurate than the carbine length barrel? If so, is this an appreciable difference?

Thanks for any comments.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:15:57 AM EDT
I've shot both, the shorter one has more muzzle flash, I decided to get the rifle one. I believe STG58's are imported kits on a US made receiver, they're damn good guns, I love mine
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:29:05 AM EDT
(Standard AR15.com answer): Get Both.

With a good flash hider the carbine won't be worse in the flash dept. Velocity loss is slight with the 18" barrel. I'd stay away from the 16" barrel though.
How will you be using your Stg? Are you gonna be carrying it in tight quarters? General plinking? Think about how you will be using it to help determine which is best for you.

If you wanna look cool get the para carbine!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:41:44 AM EDT
Prior to purchasing my Fal, I shot a '21 incher and loved how it shot but, it felt really, really long to me. So, when the opportunity came up, I snagged a beautiful '16 incher with a bare muzzle. I love the package but, would prefer a muzzle device(soon to be added). It tends to have a lot of flash and I understand that it robs some potential velocity.

If I had it to do over again, I would prob look for an 18 inch to split the difference. If you have only 21' and 16' for choices, I'd go long and figure it can be shortened later to suit your preferences.

HTH

Blitz
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:29:04 AM EDT
I like my FAL's full length.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:40:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 11:41:21 AM EDT by longhorn789]
My StG58 is a full length and I like it...however, I sure like the look of those carbines as well.

My guess is, whatever you get, you'll want the other one eventually too...and that's...OK..
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:03:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 4:04:24 PM EDT by bobfried]
I had the full size awhile back, enjoyable to shoot but it was like shooting a Mauser. I picked up a 16.25" STG58 awhile back and have not looked back. Accuracy to 300 yards have been the same for me, I'm sure if I were to dump a few thousands to accurazie it the longer barrel "might" be better, but I doubt it. The only shortcoming of the carbine is the muzzle blast and noise, I am the loudest at any range save the big bore shooters.

Bastardized for your pleasure
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:16:07 PM EDT
I have found the 16" barrels on a FAL to be slightly more accurate than the 21". Especially the Steyr barrels found on the STG's. But of course,--- GET BOTH---
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:28:42 PM EDT
I love my DSA SA58, 16 inch carbine. Extremely accurate; IMHO the 16" setup is effective up to maybe 400 yards (and frankly if you get a carbine it is obviously designed for close quarters work). Very well balanced, VERY managable recoil due to the muzzle brake. Personally, I really think the .308 cartridge comes alive with the shorter barrel. I really have a hard time seeing why I would want a FAL with a barrel over 16"/18": you can hunt with them, they are much handier due to the shorter size, and if the zombies attack......well, I certainly will not be making shots at the 500+ yards the 21" barrels are designed for. To each his own, good luck.
Top Top