Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/8/2018 11:30:03 PM
12/8/2018 2:15:31 AM
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 12/7/2018 2:30:54 PM EST
I am wondering if people who have had feeding problems with their MSAR Stg556s - or really, any problems- could detail their issues and if they sent them for warranty work,
Did MSAR share what had actually been not right, and what they did to fix it.? It seems like a list of problems and fixes would come in handy, now that MSAR is gone....
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:40:11 PM EST
I have an early STG556 and it's been 100% reliable. The optic is clear and holds zero, the rifle eats everything, fit and finish are above average.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:46:36 PM EST
I broke an extractor due to using a bad AUG mag. Replaced the extractor and got a Ratworx hybrid bolt. No problems since.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:31:33 PM EST
I don’t think the stg 556s had as many issues as the e4s. I had one that ran well and was fun. I do remember that some had issues where MSAR had to do a horrifically ugly grind job on parts of the receiver to get some guns to run right. Besides that big issues I recall were the integrated optics had a high failure rate to the point MSAR gave up on them and stopped offering that as an option or replacing them if they failed. Their awful ar15 pattern mags that just didn’t work (not applicable to the stg556 variants that used aug pattern mags) that they sold knowing they didn’t work then pulled shit claiming they would exchange them for pmags then did their damdest to not actually do that, oh and the e4 models mag catch failing and locking magazines in place which they did a voluntary recall on.

At this point if one has a issue from the factory and not just a broken part where a replacement can be found easily (which is probably an increasingly small list of parts given most of it was proprietary and not Steyer compatible) it’s probably a better idea to dump the thing then chase good money after bad.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:44:31 PM EST
I'm reaquiring one I had but never fired, the friend who got it said he couldn't get brass cases to even chamber by dropping the charging handle. He could push a round in with his finger , drop the bolt and it would fire, then not close all the way on the next round. But it ran like a striped ass ape with steel cased ammo. I'm looking at it as a winter project/ challenge to get it to run with brass cased ammo. But, if it runs well with steel cased stuff, well, at least thats cheaper, ya?
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:01:00 AM EST
I have one and my brother in law has one. No problems with either one.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:04:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: Yesterday 1:12:07 PM EST by Manticore_Arms]
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:35:46 PM EST
Sven, thanks. Have you heard of one that flat refused to shoot brass, but ran well with steel cased ammo?
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:10:45 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
The MSAR guns had a variety of issues, mostly related to quality control. The plated bolts were known to sometimes have lugs fail, there were some guns with issues of the face of the receiver not being machined quite right, some scopes had the detents give out and wouldn't hold zero, and extractors and exrtactor springs were probably the most common failure point. The E4 ar-15 mag stocks were known to have the plastic mag catch bind up, a stainless steel replacement was offered but no more are avaialble. THe molded threaded inserts on the E4 stock were known to occasionally spin in their mounting making it a paint to remove a screw in piece of picaitnny rail. The MSAR made AR mags are very poor in reliability, make sure you skip those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
The MSAR guns had a variety of issues, mostly related to quality control. The plated bolts were known to sometimes have lugs fail, there were some guns with issues of the face of the receiver not being machined quite right, some scopes had the detents give out and wouldn't hold zero, and extractors and exrtactor springs were probably the most common failure point. The E4 ar-15 mag stocks were known to have the plastic mag catch bind up, a stainless steel replacement was offered but no more are avaialble. THe molded threaded inserts on the E4 stock were known to occasionally spin in their mounting making it a paint to remove a screw in piece of picaitnny rail. The MSAR made AR mags are very poor in reliability, make sure you skip those.
The original E4 stocks had the helicoil issue but the later stocks didn't. One of the things that they did when they disappeared for two years was redesign the stock so that rather than embedded coils they used a steel insert that was essentially a backing plate with bushings that extended into the stock in place of the helicoils. This made the connection much stronger and also eliminated the issue of the coils being stripped from the stock. As a downside, once they assembled the two stock halves they called it a day and claimed it was "finished" and that "all" of the customers liked the annoying raised seam where the halves joined. Every other AUG and MSAR generation stock had those raised seams ground off.

And as someone who had a rather, um, personal involvement with the AR mags I'll comment thusly: Unless you know the vintage, you'd be better off either burning your money or buying some crappy Promags. If you know the production is from right before MSAR started their death gasps and died for good, then *those* mags are good to go. I have...quite a few...and all of them are rock solid.

MSAR had a tendency to try/experiment with new materials, coatings, heat treat, etc, etc- that is one of the reasons some bolts failed. The real issue is near the end of the line for them, a lot of guns were assembled with whatever was available, or as one former employee put it "floor sweepings" to just get guns out to make money. There really isn't a serial number range to break any of this down, it seems their QC/QA was all over the place- when they exploded in popularity they had to bring a lot more people on very quickly and it appears that some of the guns during that time also suffered more issues from lack of testing/employee training on what to look for.
MSAR, IMO, had three life cycle phases: The era when they were sincere which lasted until ~November/December 2010, the era when the owners milked it for every penny they could squeeze from ~January 2011 through when they ran and hid, claiming that they were going to declare bankruptcy to get angry customers off their backs, and their their attempted resurrection about 2013 or so and final death shortly thereafter. The first era guns are generally the best, the second era guns are, as Sven points out, cobbled together from whatever they could get their hands on from whoever was still willing to extend them credit terms, and the last era - from what I've seen - were generally decent guns but nothing really exceptional except the stock. Steyr should have simply bought them out and used the stock for it's "NATO" version as it really is a superior design...and it fits the AUG like a glove.

MSAR could have been a great company and owned the bullpup market but the greed and absolute shortsightedness of the owners coupled with a CS department that (and this is just my personal opinion with seven years downrange reflection) bought off customers with boxes of goodies to calm the waters. IMO, that enabled the owners/management to keep on keeping on without ever really solving issues. Was the CS department operating "under orders" or was it just their attempt to limit bad press? I dunno. I do know that I use my experience with MSAR as "a clue" when dealing with other companies; when they ply you with product as a "workaround" because what you actually spent money on isn't working, and then the company offers "solutions" that are really too good to be true, then it's time to walk away and sever contact.
Link Posted: Today 6:35:03 AM EST
do you have an opinion on the pmag aug mags for MSAR?
Link Posted: Today 7:53:19 AM EST
I wish there was a way to ID from my E4 serial number, when it was made and what may be a potential deficiency from that timeframe, that I can try to remedy prior to an issue poping up.
Link Posted: Today 9:04:15 AM EST
It sucks for those that got them back in the day, but there’s really no excuse for those that bought them recently. Especially with a fantastic alternative readily available, which it’s based on in the first place.
Link Posted: Today 5:17:53 PM EST
well, and twice the money......
Link Posted: Today 5:51:19 PM EST
I have an MSAR with both stocks(STG & AR; STG has the square bolt)and both run great. The original owner got 3000 + out of it.

My only issue has been extractors but the Rats have been good at keeping those available.

I bought it just after Pete released the CQC models and I wanted to make sure I liked the platform.

It doesn't get out much though.
Top Top