Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2010 2:29:59 PM EDT
I just bought a pack of brand new R&P brass, it came 100 in a bag. Now im wondering what i have to do to prepare this stuff?

Do i need to resize, trim, deburr....

Sorry for what seems to be a stupid question but I have NEVER bought new brass, only 1x fired stuff.

I just measured 20 of them, all were 1.752" except two which were 1.751"
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Size, trim, and deburr.

Most likely many of the necks are not round.

10 in a bag?  That's a new one on me.

My 0 button hasnt been working for a week now and I still forget to check every time.

Also full length or neck size?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a headspace gage and they all gage just fine, the only thing you need to do is run them through a neck size die OR run an expander mandrel through the neck. This will remove any irregularities and make the necks perfectly round.

From there you deburr and chamfer the case mouths.

If you uniform primer pockets or deburr flash holes now would be the time for that too.

You're ready to prime and load.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've bought quite a bit of new 223 and .308 brass this year. Winchester, Hornady, Lapua, and Nosler. All four brands OAL was fine. Perfect in fact. All four brands needed neck sizing if for no other reason, distortion caused by shipping. Flash holes needed to be deburred with Winchester and Hornady as well case mouths chamfurred. The only brand that looked to be annealed was Lapua. I could be wrong and correct me if I am. Nosler, Winchester, and Hornady have been annealed after first firing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've bought quite a bit of new 223 and .308 brass this year. Winchester, Hornady, Lapua, and Nosler. All four brands OAL was fine. Perfect in fact. All four brands needed neck sizing if for no other reason, distortion caused by shipping. Flash holes needed to be deburred with Winchester and Hornady as well case mouths chamfurred. The only brand that looked to be annealed was Lapua. I could be wrong and correct me if I am. Nosler, Winchester, and Hornady have been annealed after first firing.

I have a few boxes of new Hornady brass and on the box it says "Properly annealed for strength & Hardness so you can reload again & again", so I assume they polish the annealing marks off the brass to make it pretty unlike my new LC & Lapua brass that has annealing marks from just below the shoulder up.

The consistency of the Lapua brass I bought is amazing, of the pieces I bought every piece of it I measured is exactly 1.749" long with perfectly center drilled FH's and smooth(almost rounded) chamfered case mouths, I done good I think picking this 300 pieces of brass for $100 from a local supplier that had it stashed for a few years and had forgotten about it until one day I was there while he was cleaning up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
treat it like once fired.  I had some new factory IMI 762x39 brass and sized it.  Some of the flashholes were clogged with burrs, the sizing process cleaned up the flash hole as well as took the dings out of the neck
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good score, what was the caliber?

It was .223 Rem brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top