Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 1:24:30 PM EDT
So I bought 1000 Nosler 77gr from the EE, when I got them they seemed very dirty/ tarnished so I decided to tumble them  in corn cob. Even though the corn cob i huge there is still tiny pieces in the tips of the projectiles. Is this going to negatively effect their accuracy?

I tried tumbling just the projectiles for 60 minutes, not only was it VERY noisy, the pieces didn't budge
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have always had good luck cleaning tarnished bullets in Lemishine.

I believe manufacturers tumble their bullets before shipment, If just a little media in the HP, you will probably be ok.

Dammit, I forgot all about lemishine. I know I have some around too.

How do you dry them off?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have any compressed air you can hit them with to possibly blow the little peices out of the tips?

Also it might take hours, but a toothbrush might work. Just brush across the tip like a tooth.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have bought bullets with stuff in the tips.  I wouldn't worry about it.  The bullets I had shot great anyway.    

It would be great to see a test with clean tips versus cobbed tips.  

I got to the six hundred yard line today.  That is always a great learning opportunity.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
New Hornady XTP bullets will have media stuck in hp cavity. I take a needle and pick it out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've sen new bullets come out of the factory boxes with media in the hollow points. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Brand new 77gr Nosler CC comes with some tumbling media at the bottom of the box, not a lot but it is definately there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
as everyone else said, I wouldn't worry about it. If you look at a high-speed xray of a bullet in supersonic flight, you'll notice there isn't much difference between a hollowpoint and something with a polymer tip; the air flows over the tip of a supersonic HP like there is an actual point there. something stuck in the opening is well shielded from airflow.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep.
Don't worry about it.
You won't be able to discern any difference in accuracy.

But, the exception to that would be in, for example, a defensive-type hollow-point handgun bullet in which an accumulation of debris would inhibit expansion. The same might be true of a Barnes X hunting bullet or similar.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
After lemishine, just roll in a towel, hammock style until dry
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, great now you have shiny projectiles. But they will tarnish real fast again. I suggest that you now give them a few shots of spray lube. And roll them. Most spray lubes will not harm your gun powder. But might effect the tension in the neck. So, suppose you could wipe them off just before loading. Or not worry to much about the slight tarnish. Its a crazy tail chasing situation in my book.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok, great now you have shiny projectiles. But they will tarnish real fast again. I suggest that you now give them a few shots of spray lube. And roll them. Most spray lubes will not harm your gun powder. But might effect the tension in the neck. So, suppose you could wipe them off just before loading. Or not worry to much about the slight tarnish. Its a crazy tail chasing situation in my book.

Well I wanted to tumble them just to make sure they were brand new, they looked VERY dirty.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got some Rem 9mm 115gr Improved bullets from 1995, when I started.  Kept them in a large Ragu jar and they tarnished early on.  Some almost black.  LemiShine cleaned them all up in 15 minutes.

Tumbling will get stuff stuck in the HP and really not do a good job, since the bullets are heavy and dead weight within the tumbler.

I just dry them off on a towel and let them sit for a bit.  You can load them in an hour, or two.

Chris

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got some Rem 9mm 115gr Improved bullets from 1995, when I started.  Kept them in a large Ragu jar and they tarnished early on.  Some almost black.  LemiShine cleaned them all up in 15 minutes.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/Flyingsqir/ThingsThatGoBang/022.jpg

Tumbling will get stuff stuck in the HP and really not do a good job, since the bullets are heavy and dead weight within the tumbler.

I just dry them off on a towel and let them sit for a bit.  You can load them in an hour, or two.

Chris

Well my tumbler made all 1000 projectiles REALLY SHINY, after 12hours. I just let it run overnight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/Flyingsqir/ThingsThatGoBang/022.jpg

Chris

Well my tumbler made all 1000 projectiles REALLY SHINY, after 12hours. I just let it run overnight.

Yeah, 12 hours with 1000 bullets inside is a good way to blow out your bearings and motor.

Next time, just do LemiShine, it's pretty much a no brainer.

Chris

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Lemishine is definately the way to go. That being said i've tumbled some Midway dogtown HP bullets before and with media in the hollow points still achieved sub MOA accuracy. So I wouldn't worry about it if it was me, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have bought bullets with stuff in the tips.  I wouldn't worry about it.  The bullets I had shot great anyway.    

It would be great to see a test with clean tips versus cobbed tips.  

I got to the six hundred yard line today.  That is always a great learning opportunity.  

aint it though?....600 is fun.

I live in the great southwest portion of TEXAS and have access to alls kinds pf areas/platforms to shoot from. the desert is a great place to be..

a retired Marine fellow shooting bud has put together real nice 1K range for us to use. It starts at 100 and ends at 1000. 10- 14" ––1/2 thick I beams standing about 6ft tall, 100yds apart, all with wind flags and the ability to bolt on what ever target device you may want to use.perfect line of sight. flat trajectory and so on. Ive been practicing using my mil dots/calculations using my reloads on my 308.....gezzzz, its a hole lotta fun, and like you said...defently a learning opp.

Its defently more challenging on a .223 platform for sure.

As far as tarnish on bullets................Ive never worried about it. sure it looks nice to have a beautiful looking reloads on your reload bench, but it dont take but a second to dirty it up once you send it.lolo

imo...it doesnt effect accuracy........i may be wrong, ive never tested shinny projectiles against a tarnished/dirty rds
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Just shoot them, they'll be fine, doesn't affect accuracy.  I always tumble mine when they get tarnished and get the darn little media in the tips.  I just load and shoot, and haven't had any accuracy issues at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top