Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2003 2:20:18 PM EDT
I was thinking about getting one of these rifles and figured this forum was the best place to come.

Which is better for a new guy? How's availability? I've seen M48s all over the place, but not really SMLEs. About what should I pay for a good shooter? And any and all other advice.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this for general shooting or collecting?

If it is for shooting, I would go with the M48 - you are much more likely to find one in good (even unissued) shape.  The ones in excellent or unissued condition that I have seen recently have been going for around $200.  *If* you can find a SMLE No1 Mk3 in excellent or better condition, it will likely be more expensive.

It is also easier (and cheaper) to find ammo for the M48 (8mm Mauser) than for the SMLE (.303 Brit).

If you are getting the rifle for collecting, that is a different matter entirely.  Is there one that "speaks" to you?  If so, go with that one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go for smelly (SMLE No1 Mk4) first. There is a bit more history to them than the much more recent M48s.
Those old .303 brits were no slackers in accuracy and are one of if not the fastest bolt actions ever.
Either way have fun and enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:59:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would go for smelly (SMLE No1 Mk4) first.
Those old .303 brits were no slackers in accuracy and are one of if not the fastest bolt actions ever.

Any idea on a price range for a good solid shooter?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would go for smelly (SMLE No1 Mk4) first.

Any idea on a price range for a good solid shooter?

If you mean a No. 4 Mk. 1... A shooter goes for about $200. The ammo is widespread but cost a little more than 8mm on average.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends a lot on the kind of shooting you'll do.. Bench? Mauser. The SMLE butt will beat the living s*it out of you on a bench.

Otherwise, in my opinion, the SMLE is a superior general purpose rifle. The ten round capacity makes it fun to "play" with, there are tons of neat junk the Brits made for em, and if you handload, the old 303 Brit can be quite powerful.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I paid $120 each for the (3) M48's and (1) M48 that I bought about a year ago.  They are in almost unissued condition.  The M48 is a nice rifle, but I feel the Enfield is a nicer IMHO shooter.  This is unbiased, as I am a Mauser collector.

I would find a nice No4 MkI (nicer sights).  I see this in VG condition for under $200.  Look for a US Property marked Savage, for a little piece of local history.

OSA

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The Enfield has a higher mag. capacity, has a "faster" bolt action operation and is roughly slightly more accurate than the Mauser.

The down side, the round is weaker, it is more front heavy, the stripper clips must be loaded properly, and it is not as stong of a design for close combat.

The Mauser is stronger, fires much cheaper ammo, is more forgiveing, recoils less (not by much)is not picky about how you load the mag. stripper clips, and is much stronger in close combat.

The M48 only really saw limited action in the Yugo civil war, where as the SMLE has served in probably 20 different hot spots before it made it to the U.S.

I am biased towards the Mauser, but really, either would do you just fine.  I would go with the Mauser because I can get 3,360 rounds on strippers, in bandoliers, for $175.00, you can't do that with .303
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want a shooter get a SMLE in 7.62mm NATO.  Ammo is available everywhere as low as a dime a shot if you look around, have patience, and buy case lots.

Nothing wrong with .303 other than it's "yet another caliber" you have to keep in stock.  Same for 7.92mm/8mm Mauser.

I'm not a fan of the military Mauser because the rifle has almost useless sights.  But that's compared to it's USA contemporaries in both world wars which have vastly superior sighting systems.  M1917 and M1 Rifles.  As does the late SMLE.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nothing wrong with .303 other than it's "yet another caliber" you have to keep in stock.  Same for 7.92mm/8mm Mauser.

8mm surplus is $175 / per 3,360 rounds. Almost as cheap as a .22

I'm not a fan of the military Mauser because the rifle has almost useless sights.  

Most of my friends and I can shoot milk jugs,(pretty much the equivilant to a head shot) at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Most of my friends and I can shoot milk jugs,(pretty much the equivilant to a head shot) at 200 yards

Sure ya can.  

--  Chuck
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok Ok, you got me, the berm is only 193 yards.

The trick is practice and familiarity with the gun.  I have no doubt this could be done with the Enfield with the same amount of practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top