Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 2:57:46 PM EDT
I'm gonna be buying a new rifle (and maybe pistol) in the next few months and right now I'm split between a 10.5" AR15 SBR and Glock 23 or an SL-8 that I'd get a G36 conversion for. What I'm wondering is how easy it would be to have one converted. I really like HKG36K's rifle but I dunno if I'd feel right paying $3500+ for a non full auto. Are there any places that sell G36 conversions with the AR15 (or G36) mag well and folding G36 stock that isn't ugly and comes as a kit or do I have to look on gunbroker or gunsamerica? Also, would ADCO cut down an SL8 barrel to G36K length and thread it so I can put one of those flashiders on there? Should I just ask them? Also, where would I get either a G36K dual optic or the regular single optic? Thanks for all your help!

Also, if I went with a G36 mag well, how much would I be looking at paying per 30 round mag? And what parts exactly would I need if I wanted to directly convert an SL8 to a semi G36K?

ETA: I found a place that sells the 3X optic, handguards, G36 mag well, and stock. I came up to $1805 with the rifle and those parts. What else would I need?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I am no expert on HK long guns but check here:
hkpro boards
I have seen several posts on the conversion process.
Good luck

The Bald Monk

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Are there any places that sell G36 conversions with the AR15...

The only game in town is top-notch.  They sell the conversion kit with stock and magwell.  There was another American made mag well that looked really nice at Shot Show, but I forgot who makes it.

Also, would ADCO cut down an SL8 barrel to G36K length...

The person with the most experience of cutting down and turning sl8 barrels is Larryg36 at Area 51 in Pahrump.  He is sometimes on AR15.com or HKPRO.  He is known for doing G36K and G36C conversions which include moving the piston back, or else it will portrude out of any G36K or G36C forearm.  Also NFA rules apply to G36k barrels and lower, you must already know because you were going to get this or a SBR AR15.

Also, if I went with a G36 mag well, how much would I be looking at paying per 30 round mag

Right now the only places I've seen them online for around $47-$50 but maybe different on auction sites or on HKPRO board.

And what parts exactly would I need if I wanted to directly convert an SL8 to a semi G36K

Check this add out on sturmgewehr it looks like it has everything you need for a G36K conversion including barrel and with German parts.  Which won't matter when it becomes NFA.

You can try and contact board member HKG36K he has a conversion SL8 and could probably help you out more than I could.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Hopefully if those stock and mag well kits from Top-Notch will still be around by the time I start this (if I do, which I'm kinda leaning towards it). How easy is it exactly to switch out the lower, mag well, and sight rail on an SL8? Would I need to get a new mag catch?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Check with (IM) Arfcom member hepcat85. He had his SL8 done to G36 configuration too and he can let you in on costs (because it ain't cheap)his
Here is Hepcat85's G36 clone:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/voneisen88/DSC01253.jpg

He's a good guy and can point you in the right direction (whichever way that is).

Rick
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#6]
That stock doesn't look like it's a folding stock...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a folding stock from TopNotch but that one is pinned. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of New JerseyR
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It is a folding stock from TopNotch but that one is pinned. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of New Jersey

R

Ouch...well be thankful that you're not in Kalifornia...you'd have to keep it an SL8.

ETA: Would I have to do any cutting to get the stock/lower/magwell or carryhandle/scope on?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It is a folding stock from TopNotch but that one is pinned. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of New Jersey

R

Correction - it WAS a folding stock.

It's had the hinge chopped out and then put back together.

Due to the difference between an SL8 receiver and a true G36 receiver, in order to accomodate the folding hinge on the SL8 conversion parts, the stock ends up being a few inches longer.

The mod to chop the hinge out restores the stock to a full-size G36 (G36E?) length of pull (as if the folding stock were extended).

The other option is to apparently put a G36C stock onto it for the correct length of pull, but when folding that stock, it blocks the ejection port.

It's all about how you like it.

My SL8/G36 will be in town tomorrow, with the folding stock pinned.  I'm going to try it out with the longer length, and see how I like it - if not, I'll probably have it chopped.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

R

Correction - it WAS a folding stock.

It's had the hinge chopped out and then put back together.

Due to the difference between an SL8 receiver and a true G36 receiver, in order to accomodate the folding hinge on the SL8 conversion parts, the stock ends up being a few inches longer.

The mod to chop the hinge out restores the stock to a full-size G36 (G36E?) length of pull (as if the folding stock were extended).

The other option is to apparently put a G36C stock onto it for the correct length of pull, but when folding that stock, it blocks the ejection port.

It's all about how you like it.

My SL8/G36 will be in town tomorrow, with the folding stock pinned.  I'm going to try it out with the longer length, and see how I like it - if not, I'll probably have it chopped.

Make sure you post pics!

Also, does anyone have any pics of the regular folding stock (extended) and a side pic of it folded?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#11]
her are some pics of my HKG36
with KAC, not an SL8 but anyway here is mine,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/RaceRock/g36.jpg

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/RaceRock/Re-exposureofDSC00042.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/RaceRock/Re-exposureofDSC00043.jpg

You didn't convert that from an SL8??

Also, are you using a G36C stock or a regular stock?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

G36P stock, not an SL8 conversion,

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

G36P stock, not an SL8 conversion,

G36P stock? Never heard of it .
How'd you get a semi-G36??
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He's Canadian.

They get lots of cool toys that we can't have, like Norinco M14's and SIG 550 rifles and stuff...

Of course, the trade-off is that they have to register them...

And they're in Canada...

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's Canadian.

They get lots of cool toys that we can't have, like Norinco M14's and SIG 550 rifles and stuff...

And they're in Canada...

That sucks...I sure wouldn't mine a semi G36 or SIG 550...

ETA:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's Canadian.

And they're in Canada...

here is my sig with my 40mm M203

img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/RaceRock/Firearms/RotationofDSCF0326.jpg

YOU SUCK! Why'd you have to go and post that?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
...And they're in Canada...

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyways to get back on topic...

Would I need to do any cutting to get the G36 stock/lower on? Also, would I need to have some machining done on the magwell for it to accept G36 mags or can I buy a G36 magwell?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#20]
The SL8 has to have the magwell milled out to accept either an AR15 or G36 magwell.

All it takes is removal of two screws/bolts to put the new lower on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#21]
The TN stock is a simple installation.  Yes, you need to mill out some of the polymer for the new bolt to function.  The TN kit comes with a magwell that you are required to use in order to keep your US parts count up.  If you used a HK G36 magwell you'll be adding one to many Non-US parts.  Of course, you could SBR it and not have to worry about US parts count.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, if I do this, I'll definately do an SBR. The G36K is pretty much my favorite modern weapon and I just LOVE how it looks.

Also, would LarryG36 be able to do all the machining needed for the G36 mags, barrel cut down and threading, and machining for the G36 bolt? Does anyone know how much it'd cost? I don't really wanna bother him yet since I don't even have an SL8 yet. I'd like to get all this straight. Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The TN stock is a simple installation.  Yes, you need to mill out some of the polymer for the new bolt to function.  The TN kit comes with a magwell that you are required to use in order to keep your US parts count up.  If you used a HK G36 magwell you'll be adding one to many Non-US parts.  Of course, you could SBR it and not have to worry about US parts count.

That's where the second TN/SW kit comes in - it provides you a G36 magwell, G36 magzine, and two more US-made parts (the hammer and trigger, I believe) so you meet the 922r requirements, and can use G36 mags without having to SBR the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's where the second TN/SW kit comes in - it provides you a G36 magwell, G36 magzine, and two more US-made parts (the hammer and trigger, I believe) so you meet the 922r requirements, and can use G36 mags without having to SBR the rifle.

Is that on the Top-Notch site? The one I see on there comes with an AR15 magwell, stock/lower, US gas piston, and US bolt head...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I didnt know about the new version of the kit, but I had heard it was in the works.  I do know that the only way to get in touch with the guys at TN is to call.   If you try and email them it would take months for them to get back to you.

BTW LARRYG36 should be able to do everything for you, he's THE G36 guru.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Alright, I think I'll drop LARRYG36 an IM...Thanks peoples.

Oh, and if anyone has any more info or pics of their SL8 or G36 clone, that'd be cool.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Blanco_Diablo - I would go the SBR route since you can living in Florida.  Here's pics of my SL8/G36K.  By the way, doesn't Canada have a five-round limit on their 30 round G36 mags?  It's not as good there as you think.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1134.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_0877.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1028.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1132.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_0883.jpg
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Blanco_Diablo - I would go the SBR route since you can living in Florida.  Here's pics of my SL8/G36K.  By the way, doesn't Canada have a five-round limit on their 30 round G36 mags?  It's not as good there as you think.img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1134.jpgimg.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_0877.jpgimg.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1028.jpgimg.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1132.jpgimg.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_0883.jpg

Yeah, if I do this, I'll definately do an SBR. Anyways, I was gonna ask you for a close up pic of your stock, so thanks for that. Can you give me some details on how you built it? Did you use a G36C stock? Where did you get your parts and machining done?

Thanks and AWESOME G36 and Mk23!

P.S. I was just thinking "Oh crap, if I get a G36K clone, I'm gonna have to get a Mk23 or USP Tactical"...there'll be another $1500 or $600
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Blanco - Ed Montana in your state did my dye job, installed the TN parts, and milled out the reciever to accept the G36 mag well.  The firearm has an actual G36K barrel and it was installed by Larry Reimer in Pahrump, NV.  I don't have their addresses anymore, however you can do a search on HKPRO.com and find their info.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Blanco - Ed Montana in your state did my dye job, installed the TN parts, and milled out the reciever to accept the G36 mag well.  The firearm has an actual G36K barrel and it was installed by Larry Reimer in Pahrump, NV.  I don't have their addresses anymore, however you can do a search on HKPRO.com and find their info.  Hope this helps.

Yeah, I found Ed Montana's site and I IM'd Larry a few days ago (nothing back yet). I wouldn't know where to find a G36K barrel and it'd probably be cheaper to just have the SL8 barrel cut down. How much did it cost to have it dyed, TN parts installed, and the reciever milled? You used a G36C stock didn't you? Also, would I need to have the reciever milled for a G36 bolt so I could use the G36 mags? Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Heres mine, SL8C, SL8K, SL8E

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Heres mine, SL8C, SL8K, SL8E

www.area51-guns.com/photos/AD3/DIS%20063.jpg

Very nice!

Ok, Larry, I've heard you can cut down the SL8 barrel and thread it...how much do you charge for that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Hate to drag this one back up, but since I've got an SL8 on the way...

Larry, whats the LOP on the SL8K with the C stock?  Also, what length can I make the barrel if I were to permantly attach an HK53 4 prong FH to get it to 16"?

Oh and... DAMN!! those are some nice rifles!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Larry, whats the LOP on the SL8K with the C stock?  Also, what length can I make the barrel if I were to permantly attach an HK53 4 prong FH to get it to 16"?

Congrats!! I think buying one is gonna be a bit delayed for me...

Where'd you get yours? There's one that's at a local gunshop but it's $1600 and has a forward grip w/ flashlight. I found one somewhere else for cheaper though...can only drool over it now
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where'd you get yours? There's one that's at a local gunshop but it's $1600 and has a forward grip w/ flashlight. I found one somewhere else for cheaper though...can only drool over it now

I traded my Para FAL for it.  I've got more FAL's than I can shoot(well, OK, not that many) so its no huge loss.  The Para was valued at around $1100 so I guess that how much I paid for the Sl8.  I'm ordering a TN kit on Monday and I already have a G36K handguard.  All I need is a rail, I'm gonns use a C type rail since those seem to be a little easier to find than the dual optic rails.  I asked Jayson @ IGF about making a correct length 4-prong  hider for me to add on it.  That way, it will be a U.S part also.  I just wanted to know how short I could cut the bbl and still reach 16" with the FH welded on.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I traded my Para FAL for it.  I've got more FAL's than I can shoot(well, OK, not that many) so its no huge loss.  The Para was valued at around $1100 so I guess that how much I paid for the Sl8.  I'm ordering a TN kit on Monday and I already have a G36K handguard.  All I need is a rail, I'm gonns use a C type rail since those seem to be a little easier to find than the dual optic rails.  I asked Jayson @ IGF about making a correct length 4-prong  hider for me to add on it.  That way, it will be a U.S part also.  I just wanted to know how short I could cut the bbl and still reach 16" with the FH welded on.

This place here has dual optics but they're $635 . Sure would be nice to get one but that is a LOT of money. If/when I get an SL8, I'll probably end up getting a single optic...not sure on 1.5x or 3x yet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#37]
YOu can cut the barrel down to 13.3 inches and pin the G36k Flash hider on it.   THat is the closest u can get to factory specs without going the NFA route, I had Kurt at KKF do the mods to My upper, he also rebuilt the oprod/ gas system to his own specs.  Kurts the man and really knows his stuff and helped bring the parts count down.  Here is a pic of My upper  completed, its right under an inch longer then the factory K length.  Red cobras  G36 K inspired me.

This is the look I'm going for except with an EOTECH on top, I'll post pics when it all comes in tommorow along with my new UMP conversion

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#38]
AWESOME!!

Thanks for the info!  Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Did he also turn down the bull bbl profile?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#39]
jourel1 - If you dont mind me asking, how much was it to get your work done?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
jourel1 - If you dont mind me asking, how much was it to get your work done?

+1 that's pretty nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top