Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/14/2002 8:45:51 AM EDT
Are these good rifles, how many rounds do they hold? fun to shoot? legal in CA?
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:06:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2002 9:08:05 AM EDT by westman431]
SKS's are wonderful little guns. I got one for my 12th birthday(how sweet). It is extremely accurate. Tough as nails. Cheap as hell to shoot. It comes with an attached 10 rd mag. This can be taken off though and replaced with a thirty rounder. I don't think they are Left Coast legal anymore though. Any avid gun owner I recommend moving here to Idaho. Last of the Real America. Kali is no place for gun owners or people who believe in freedom anyways.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:08:16 AM EDT
some guy is selling one here should I just buy it and not ask any questions? they look similar to AK's are they related?
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:10:33 AM EDT
In general, the SKS is a great rifle. They hold 10 rounds in a fixed box magazine. I don't know about Kali (but I think they are OK).

I've had one since '90. It's pretty light, plenty accurate, and yes, alot of fun. The trigger isn't the best but that really doesn't matter, it's still a blast.

AIM surplus has some good choices right now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:10:37 AM EDT
whats he asking for it??
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:10:51 AM EDT
Back in the good old days of firearms ownership (mid 1980's) we used to buy an SKS for $70 and a 1200 round tin can of ammo for $80. Then we'd shoot that ammonia smelling corrisive crap until the cosmoline smoked and oozed from the blondewood stocks.

A quick clean in a tub full of hot soapy water, some oil and a careful reassembly and then the SKS was sold through the newspaper.

I had oodles of SKS's that I got and sold that way.

They're a whole lot of fun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:13:45 AM EDT
yep, those were the good ol' days
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:16:12 AM EDT
sounds like a fun gun whats going price for one in the gun store used? I love the price of the ammo! can beat it $90 for 1000rds!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:27:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2002 9:28:22 AM EDT by westman431]
They usually go for around $150 here at the gun shows. Usually in very good condition.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:36:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Schnert:
Back in the good old days of firearms ownership (mid 1980's) we used to buy an SKS for $70 and a 1200 round tin can of ammo for $80. Then we'd shoot that ammonia smelling corrosive crap until the cosmoline smoked and oozed from the blondewood stocks.

...and we liked it that way. Why I remember in ott-digidty-eight, we had to say digidty because the Kaiser had stolen our word for eighty. anyway, I was strolling to the gun show with an onion on my lapel, which was the fashion at the time, where I used to buy 5 SKS rifles for a quarter. We used to say "gimme two bits of guns please" and every dealer knew what you meant. So I had an onion on my lapel, which was the fashion at the time...
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:50:39 AM EDT
Russian SKS (blade bayonet) are going for $275. This should include the bayonet, tools in the trapdoor, and the clip-on web sling. The russians are screw-in barrels. The best of the SKS bunch. Chinese made (norinco for example) are pinned in barrels and are usually around $200. The chinese has the flat bayonet. All have fixed ten round magazines, chrome lined chambers and barrels, and horrendous triggers. You can also get the more rare (and expensive!) SKS that accepts AK magazines. I have alot of friends who own them, they are tough, reasonably accurate. If I owned one, I would get the aftermarket peep sight and do some work on the creepy, gritty, and heavy trigger. These are also one of the few rifles that I am aware of that do well with USA brand 30 rounders. Get one while you can, NO MORE BEING IMPORTED. PRICES WILL GO UP!!!

Karl
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:54:24 AM EDT
Forgot to add that the sks is not related to the AK. The sks is a WW2 invention that never saw use during the second big one as the war ended before production could begin. SKS were used heavily during vietnam by the communist forces.

Karl
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 3:46:14 PM EDT
Ive owned both china and russian model's the russian's in my opionion are the best. milled
recievers, and threaded barrels i like the one i had and after i sold it off i missed it!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:44:51 PM EDT
Makarov Are you a simpsons fan your quote resembles a speech made by the grandpa.

So basically I just want a cheap one and there is a gun show comming up these weekend, think I can find one for under $200? IS norico the brand I should be looking for?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:21:42 PM EDT
I have a Norinco with a threaded barrel and excellent blueing, average wood, 10 rnd. fixed mag. spike bayo. Gave $70 for it in about 94 or 95 havent seen one like it for less than $250 ant the gun shows lately.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:39:26 PM EDT
Last I knew SKS's were OUTLAWED in cali, anyone having one in their posession was a felon, i'm not in CA, so i don't know for sure, you might wanna call the cops to check.

should you buy one??? HELL YA!!!

I own more than one, I would trust my life to it in an instant, about the 30 round thing, I don't know what your gonna use this gun for, but, the 30 rounder works, that's all i'll give it, i only own 1 30 rounder, i bought it mostly because they can't make any more, i've used it, but i dont have it installed on any rifles, you can legaly get a conversion kit, or have it converted to accept any AK mags, but after the gun and the conversion you should just buy an AK. The 10 round that comes with it is loaded thru the top by hand, or stripper clips, the guide is built into the bolt, it's akward at first, but you'll get used to it.

Another great thing is accesories, you can find anything for them, there's about 5 different stocks out there, and a bunch of other stuff. Just type in --SKS accesories-- and you'll get about 3000000 sites to go to.

And ammo is great, you can find 1000 rds of russian for about $80, I bought a 20 rd box of Win. hunting ammo once, and it grouped WORSE(2" more) than the cheap russian stuff.

My only warning is don't expect a tack driver, if you get 3" groups at 100, be happy.

In conclusion, get one, it's a great addition to any collection.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 3:52:19 PM EDT
SKSBoy - almost right. They banned any SKS that could accept a detachable mag. The fixed ones are still CA legal. I'm on a tight budget and might passup building my CA legal M4<$850> for an russian SKS<$560>. I have $400 now, however two of my friends have SKS' already... hmm....

M4 = FAB10+Bushaster upper+CAR stock
SKS = russian SKS+scope+custome stock
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:22:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:36:04 PM EDT
I got an SKS right before the ban that was called the "paratrooper" model

It has 3 differences from the regular SKS:
1. The barrel is about 3 inches shorter
2. No bayo Lug
3. IT ACCEPTS AK47 MAGAZINES!!!

Thats right, it is made to accept ak47 magazines.

I have had alot of fun cheap shooting with it. If I were going to buy an SKS I would spend the extra $100 or so and get one that accepts the AK mag.

It makes shooting alot more fun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:07:48 PM EDT
I picked a SKS up in Vietnam in 1968. I was able to bring it home because it was a semi-auto war trophy. It was Russian made and almost new. It is much better that the Chinese made export models. It still shoot great.

I had a lot of trouble getting ammo for it until the '80s. When I brought it home I carried 200 rds of ammo with me. I carried it on a commerical airline from San Fransico to Tampa Florida. Nobody said a thing about it. Those were the good old days.
Top Top