Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 10:07:34 AM EDT
Watching the SHTF in NO got me thinking about my SHTF supplies.  

One thing I guess you could say I am lacking is a rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm.  Sure I have an AR in 5.56, a FAL in .308, but what about the commie round?

I've shot a few AKs in my day and liked them but wasn't ready to go out and buy one.  The same goes for SKSs.  Shot them but never ran to the local fun store after that and bought one.  

I guess I am looking to round out my collection.  With Yugo SKSs running at or around $100.00 I guess there can't be a whole lot of harm in getting one.  

I am just afraid if I buy an AK I'll end up doing what I did with my AR15s: buying tons of magazines, ammo, supplies, another AK, more magazines, etc.

So if I'm not a serious 7.62x39 shooter which Ruskie design?  Don't say both damnit!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
An sks will get you to make your rounds count.  None of the 30 round mags work reliably enough to be a shtf weapon.  With both of them your getting a rock solid weapon that will take abuse like my ex wife puts out and come back for more.  This is probably blasphemy but even most AR people I know consider both of them to be more reliable than an AR.  I prefer the sks for probably no other reason than that I grew up as a southern boy hunting all the damn time and it feels like better to me.  Ammo is cheaper than for an AR.  I love mine and consider it my SHTF weapon.  Honestly AKs are probably even more rugged but I like the SKS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with Dusty_C, SKS, it's a little better than the AK, in a number of things, like accuracy is generally better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Accuracy is not quite what the rodent rifles are on either AK or SKS, but generally the SKS is more accurate shooting the same loads due to barrel length, I think about 2+ inches longer.  RPK type weapon would be best.  But the AK is more reliable and more compact and has more practical features and options like folding stocks, rails, and detachable non-cumbersome mags not to mention 40+ cap mags are widely available.  I would go AK.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
AK.  Higher capacity, better variety of stocks, more likely to get banned before an SKS.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Of the two I prefer the sks for the accuracy and with practice with stripper clips you can reload pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Of the two I prefer the sks for the accuracy and with practice with stripper clips you can reload pretty quick.

I can't load with stripper clips at all.  I don't know if I got a bad batch or what.  But none of the ones I have will strip right.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]

I do have an SKS but I would prefer to carry and reload with 30rd mags instead of 10rd clips.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#8]
AKs

They look scary and most looters will recognize that.

Max
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Get an AK.  More rounds on tap, accurate enough for .gov work and only going to get more expensive because of the ban.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been very pleased with the model of SKS that takes AK magazines.  Not sure what this thing is called, but it seems a nice compromise between the two rifles.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't load with stripper clips at all.  I don't know if I got a bad batch or what.  But none of the ones I have will strip right.

I think you got a bad batch, I had the same problem, I had to clean them up with a wire wheel and the dremel. They work really smooth now
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/22925greencouch-med.jpg

I do have an SKS but I would prefer to carry and reload with 30rd mags instead of 10rd clips.

Nice collection and thanks all for the input!

Well OK, so if an AK is the preferred tool, then what type.  I see a lot of WASR-10s out there for low, low prices and I know they are on the low end of the AK scale.  I don't have enough money in the gun fund to dump into the SEAK so what would you guys recommend?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the SKS
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I find the SKS more pleasant to shoot than the AK, the SKS action is just smoother.

It would be a tough call for me, but if I really expected trouble I would want a weapon that uses detachable mags with a capacity greater than 10rds. I really like the 20rd "tanker" mags for my AK, they're just a bit lighter and handier compared to 30rd steel mags.

An SKS-D would seem like the best of both worlds, anyone have any opinions as to their reliability?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/22925greencouch-med.jpg

Nice collection and thanks all for the input!

Well OK, so if an AK is the preferred tool, then what type.  I see a lot of WASR-10s out there for low, low prices and I know they are on the low end of the AK scale.  I don't have enough money in the gun fund to dump into the SEAK so what would you guys recommend?

I think the WASR-10 is the best deal out there. Cheap, reliable, and AK accurate. Going left to right I have a Bulfarian SLR95. WASR10, and SAR1. All great guns and very fun shooters. I just find myself constantly changing things on them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#17]

An SKS-D would seem like the best of both worlds, anyone have any opinions as to their reliability?

Is what I have (the SKS that takes AK magazines) the SKS-D you mentioned?  I never knew the model designation.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Is what I have (the SKS that takes AK magazines) the SKS-D you mentioned?  I never knew the model designation.

I believe so. The only others that take mags were some hack jobs that need special mags.

I've wanted to pick up D-model for years.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#19]
AK - no doubt about it - the mag issue being the main deciding factor... I had a very nice Russian SKS that I sold off, basically to fund the purchase of a SAR-1 and a bunch of mags - I don't regret that decision in the least...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#20]
You have a good battery to start with  - if you want a very CQB (50 yds and under) in an urban enviroment the AK would be my choice. I would have to consider a good tactical shotgun for ths application also. The SKS would be closer in use to your 308. IMO the AK advantage over AR in very close action is that the 30 cal round will hit harder and "put 'em down" quicker and the advantage over a shotgun is you have 30 round mags and more impact over 25 yards. Against shotgun or pistol packing hoards you can take on more adversaries and keep them at bay better. Your AK will run in the mud and water. Buy at least 3K rounds of ammo and 10 mags - I would get at least one 5 round mags for household storage and training use as the 30 rounders are long and heavy.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for the sks.The stripper clips will smooth up with use,it has an empty bolt hold open and is slightly more accurate than the ak,allthough you cant go wrong with either one
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
BOTH!

AK first
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I think the SKS is more accurate than the AK, longer sight radius, less potrusions, so you can shoot from a low lying position [prone]

since most AK's are semi auto, the larger mag capacity isnt really a big advantage, it just looks more intimidating

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top