Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2007 8:05:30 AM EDT
My first post on ARFCOM!  Where everything is junk and no one knows what they are talking about! he
However, my biggest gripe is the grip.  The gap between the grip and the triggerguard is large and sharp and irritating when being fired.  Do any of you guys have an idea of how another type of grip could be installed?

currently, this is the only thing I want to change on this rifle as it came from the factory.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My first post on ARFCOM!  Where everything is junk and no one knows what they are talking about!

Just got my new SIG 556 (my first ever sig product), and took it to the range with my XCR to put them through the paces.  I really like this rifle!

However, my biggest gripe is the grip.  The gap between the grip and the triggerguard is large and sharp and irritating when being fired.  Do any of you guys have an idea of how another type of grip could be installed?

currently, this is the only thing I want to change on this rifle as it came from the factory.

Told ya...SIG thinks a 90 degree angle severing your finger is a good idea

You have no options unless some after market company comes up with a solution or SIG redesigns the trigger guard. I imagine a grip with some type of "gapper" will appear at some point.

Learn to wear gloves or forget carbine classes

And stay out of snow and rain unless you like rust
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Have no fear.  Someone will come along and design a piece of plastic that fits in the gap and resolved the problem.  This fix will cost $20 and make someone a lot of money.

Sig is only helping the economy with this issue.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have no fear.  Someone will come along and design a piece of plastic that fits in the gap and resolved the problem.  This fix will cost $20 and make someone a lot of money.

Is there anything on the 556 that doesnt need to be fixed by aftermarket mods. Christ man, this damn rifle is disgraceful. I cant believe SIG stamps their name on it
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there anything on the 556 that doesnt need to be fixed by aftermarket mods. Christ man, this damn rifle is disgraceful. I cant believe SIG stamps their name on it

There have been absolutely no issues with the front sight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

LOL.  I even heard it is the lightest one available.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, the best advice so far is to wear shooting gloves.  Anyone else got a another idea?

As far as the SIG bashing, I bought this rifle mainly because of the whining on here. If so many people hate it, I was sure to like it! I really like the gun.  

Actually, I shot it against my XCR and it showed itself more accurate than the XCR with the ammo I had.  The XCR is actually the winner of the shootout, but I like the 556 better.  See my thread "SIG 556/XCR shootout" on 5.7 forum.  The only gun I like better is my FS2000.

So when you guys shot the SIG 556, or bought and/or handled it, and found the authentic-looking, near to the original 550 series pistol grip lacking, did you take it apart and see if you could fix it?  I am specifically thinking that the pistol grip MAY be able to be converted to an AK type.  If so, i could use the ACE AR adapter and get a magpul grip.  But I don't have enough info, and was hoping to get some help, not just SIG bashing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I just shoved an AR gapper in there on mine.  Used a small screw driver--problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't handled a 556 yet, but from the pictures that little gap (which looks like a photochop job because surely no company would do that on a production gun) looked bad, like the gun was put together using the wrong parts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok, the best advice so far is to wear shooting gloves.  Anyone else got a another idea?

As far as the SIG bashing, I bought this rifle mainly because of the whining on here. If so many people hate it, I was sure to like it! I really like the gun.  

Actually, I shot it against my XCR and it showed itself more accurate than the XCR with the ammo I had.  The XCR is actually the winner of the shootout, but I like the 556 better.  See my thread "SIG 556/XCR shootout" on 5.7 forum.  The only gun I like better is my FS2000.

So when you guys shot the SIG 556, or bought and/or handled it, and found the authentic-looking, near to the original 550 series pistol grip lacking, did you take it apart and see if you could fix it?  I am specifically thinking that the pistol grip MAY be able to be converted to an AK type.  If so, i could use the ACE AR adapter and get a magpul grip.  But I don't have enough info, and was hoping to get some help, not just SIG bashing.

It's not an AK Grip. It's a SIG grip. They have nothing in common. There are no easy solutions currently. Try sticking a gapper in there, wear gloves, use tape. That's pretty much it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I just stuck a AR "gapper" in there and it works perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I am ordering an Ar gapper on monday!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't had a problem with the gap.  I am told that the 55x series also has the gap.  I must use a sightly different grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top