Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 5:18:22 PM EDT
After browsing through a number of firearm forums it seems that SHTF scenarios/what gun to choose topics are fairly common.

Now my question is:
How many people 1) Actually think it will happen and 2) Would actually rise up in the event of the gov. taking our guns?

I'm not critisizing or anything here, just rather curious.  I'm frankly not sure that I would take action in the event of #2(though I would like to think that I would, but maybe my guns were sold last week anyways :)).  #1 seems highly highly unlikely(though not impossible)...
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
[sound thru bullhorn]
OK Cyndane now just relax....we're here to help...now just put down that weapon and step back....
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, most SHTF scenarios I've seen on the web don't involve the government trying to take away guns.  They're usually more along the lines of "you're at work downtown and a riot breaks out" or the Red Dawn-style "you're at home in the 'burbs and [insert name of bad guys here] invade".  Then there's the ever popular 'alien invasion' or 'zombie's attack' BS that is fun to joke about.

The odds of any of these occuring varies greatly, but it looks to me like some people on the east coast are likely to encounter the "a big storm hits your area, police are spread too thin to do any good and there's a bunch of looters moving through your neighborhood" SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
TSHTF several times in my lifetime already. If you go back 100 years TSHTF a bunch of time in a bunch of places.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
SHTF scenario will not be Gov coming for your guns. It will be your next door neighbour after your food.
If a dirty bomb goes off in NYC people around the country may stop going to work and the economy will collapse.
There will be no Publix or Kash and Karry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]
After browsing through a number of firearm forums it seems that SHTF scenarios/what gun to choose topics are fairly common.

Now my question is:
How many people 1) Actually think it will happen and 2) Would actually rise up in the event of the gov. taking our guns?

I'm not critisizing or anything here, just rather curious. I'm frankly not sure that I would take action in the event of #2(though I would like to think that I would, but maybe my guns were sold last week anyways :)). #1 seems highly highly unlikely(though not impossible)...

I apologize if I'm wrong, but you sound like a troll.
Try and learn a little about what we're about first before you ask a question like that.
What guns do you own and do you have any thoughts on what you might do in that scenario?

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Now my question is:

I'm not critisizing or anything here, just rather curious. I'm frankly not sure that I would take action in the event of #2(though I would like to think that I would, but maybe my guns were sold last week anyways :)). #1 seems highly highly unlikely(though not impossible)...

Try and learn a little about what we're about first before you ask a question like that.
What guns do you own and do you have any thoughts on what you might do in that scenario?

Your gay.
"You sound like a troll"

Witch Hunt!

GG
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You are right with your first guess #1. I doubt it will be the Govt..  Nobody will take action. they are mostly internet chest thumpers. Real people have kids and stuff. They will puss out in a heartbeat. Now, they will retort that, "Yeah, count me in." But it is internet jive. Statistics dictate that your most probable SHTF situation would be a bunch of pissed off "ciertain race of" people burning your neighborhood for some petty reason. Other than that youre AOK.
GG
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Like I said, I'm not being critical just was an honest question, regarding opinions if the scenarios are more just for fun or realistic thinking.

I own a Bustmaster AR-15, Sar-1, Glock 22, & Sig P228 thx :)

I'm a little boggled how asking a question makes me a troll- perhaps you misinterpret my interest/meaning?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I own a Bustmaster AR-15, Sar-1, Glock 22, & Sig P228 thx :)

I'm a little boggled how asking a question makes me a troll- perhaps you misinterpret my interest/meaning?

Bustmaster?  Is that for your "enhancements"?

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]

...or 'zombie's attack' BS that is fun to joke about.

A zombie attack is nothing to joke about!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
SHTF will come in one of 2 scenerios. Natural Disaster or Economy Collapse.

Itll be a slow decline and what not. IT wont be a mass envasion or anything like that. IMO ya wont know SHTF until its too late and your broke and paying 10bux gallon for gas, and 20bux for a loaf of bread.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

...or 'zombie's attack' BS that is fun to joke about.

A zombie attack is nothing to joke about!!!

You got that right.
The reason I got into reloading was so I could load my own silver 5.56.

Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Some folks on the East Coast are a day or so away from SHTF.  SHTF is anything that causes a MAJOR disruption in your life and those around you.  SHTF all the time all over the world, and Americans aren't immune.

-Troy

Since I live in Virginia this thought did cross my mind......

Incidentally the storm was fairly severe - lots of trees down and 1.5 million Virginian's without electric power.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, after Isabel hit here, it's rather obvious of the general lack of prepardness of alot of people.
Simple things such as not having the fuel tanks topped off and having drinking water. That alone created the vast majority of our problems. Three days after, people are fighting in the "gas lines" It doesn't take much to set yourself up for a week or two in case these things occur.

It certainly makes you appreciate things that are taken for granted everyday.

It was also go to see that alot of peopl eare patient too.

Mark
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#17]
What's the likelyhood of a SHTF scenario?  If you take the long view it's 100%.  Between natural disasters and terrorism, eventually something will happen that at least temporarily leads to a major breakdown of our institutions.  Could be tomorrow.  Could be 900 years from tomorrow.  I don't think its something any of us has the ability to predict.
But, if you think about it, in the last couple of years we've suffered some jolts i.e the Oklahoma City bomber, the blowing up of the World Trade Center, a massive power outage on the east coast.  Clearly the world is a nasty place and there are many people in it who wish to do us harm.  Moreover, every day we are developing increasingly deadly weapons of mass destruction.
However, to me the more interesting question is if the s*** really does hit the fan how much control we have over our own destiny.  Clearly there  are certain scenarios where all the preparation in the world won't make a difference.  If some terrorist sets off a dirty bomb and you live 500 yards from ground zero, having a 200 gallons of drinking water, a 2 yr supply of MRE's a Les Baer "Thunder Ranch" AR15 and 5000 rounds of ammunition won't mean s****.

In fact, an argument can be made that those of us who are the best prepared merely make ourselves a more attractive target for the maurading mobs.  (Lets get the guy with all the assault weapons and a 2 yr supply of food).

Finally, if our worst fears come to pass, how many of us are prepared to do what it takes to stay alive?  If your neighbor insists you share your limited supply of drinking water with him are you prepard to kill him to conserve this resource and increase the likelyhood of your own survival?
   I think the bottom line is that few of us have any real sense of what a true SHTF situation would look like.
    Of course that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
In fact, an argument can be made that those of us who are the best prepared merely make ourselves a more attractive target for the maurading mobs.  (Lets get the guy with all the assault weapons and a 2 yr supply of food).

So...  you're saying I should take down that sign with the 10ft tall neon letters that says, "Food and weapons cached here"?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#19]
No, just move it to neighbor's property :)
Besides, don't need a sign to figure out who's cached food and weapons.  Could -
1. Kidnap local UPS guy and force him to reveal who's had a delivery from ammoman.com recently;
2. Follow anyone looking fat and happy and wearing combat boots;
3. Drive around with "Dianne Fienstein for President" bumper sticker, see who I piss off;
4.  Take out ad in paper, "For sale, pre-ban MP5 NIB, $100 or b/o", see who responds.:)
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I havent actually havent seen it hit the fan, but I have seen what happens when you put an M80 in a big pile of dog shit. It aint a pretty thing, I'm hear to tell ya! Although the big piece on my buddys forehead was worth the mess all over my back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No, just move it to neighbor's property :)
Besides, don't need a sign to figure out who's cached food and weapons.  Could -
1. Kidnap local UPS guy and force him to reveal who's had a delivery from ammoman.com recently;
2. Follow anyone looking fat and happy and wearing combat boots;
3. Drive around with "Dianne Fienstein for President" bumper sticker, see who I piss off;
4.  Take out ad in paper, "For sale, pre-ban MP5 NIB, $100 or b/o", see who responds.:)

Gentlemen, here's a guy who has the right attitude.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top