Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2006 3:14:10 PM EDT
where can I find one ? anybody from the EE selling them ? I have a class coming up soon and plan on using it to protect my neck from the flying brass. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Most street vendors in the middle east sell them.  If you're not planning a trip, then I believe Blackhawk makes a high speed low drag shemagh.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Brigade Quartermaster sells them as does Cheaper than Dirt.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
TAG sells them too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
or you can wear a buttonup shirt or a mandarin collared shirt

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#5]
tag optactical egay lots of places to find them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
A neck gator might work better.  Plus you won't look like an SF wannabee on the line.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Shemagh in my gear bag, but I rarely use it for anything other than shading my son if he falls asleep on the journey.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I have a Shemagh in my gear bag, but I rarely use it for anything other than shading my son if he falls asleep on the journey.

LOL
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#9]
cravat.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
where can I find one ? anybody from the EE selling them ? I have a class coming up soon and plan on using it to protect my neck from the flying brass. Thanks.

Just deal with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just deal with it.

+1  A shemagh is more likely to hold a hot piece of brass against your skin if it lands in there.

I just ordered one of those SPEC ops, multi wraps to try out.  My problem is that even with a 45 sun block on, I still get the RED NECK after a day long class.  One of the spec ops functions is NECK GATOR.  For under 20 dollars, I'm going to give it a shot.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I got that SPEC OPS RECON WRAP last night.  I'm going to use it for a rifle class this weekend.

I definitely think its a much better choice than the shemagh.  It'll cover a good 3" of your neck when just bunched.  But it has like 8-10 different configurations to it.

It's made of the stretchy moisture wicking material.  It's a seamless cloth "tube" about 14" long.  You can just bunch it up and hang it around your neck, and then pull it up over your face if you want.

I like it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I got that SPEC OPS RECON WRAP last night.  I'm going to use it for a rifle class this weekend.

I definitely think its a much better choice than the shemagh.  It'll cover a good 3" of your neck when just bunched.  But it has like 8-10 different configurations to it.

It's made of the stretchy moisture wicking material.  It's a seamless cloth "tube" about 14" long.  You can just bunch it up and hang it around your neck, and then pull it up over your face if you want.

I like it.
And where can one find one of these recon wraps?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#14]
try actiongear.com
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep.  I got mine from Actiongear.com (Brigade Quartermasters).

Or just google "spec ops recon wrap"
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
To keep the sun off your neck and to keep hot brass off, a regular cowboy-style bandana does just fine.  You can fold it as wide as you want, soak it in water to help keep you cool, wear it inside or outside your shirt to prevent sling rub on your neck... and it weighs a lot less than a shemagh.

A collar flipped up on a regular polo-style shirt will do fine for that purpose too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:15:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
To keep the sun off your neck and to keep hot brass off, a regular cowboy-style bandana does just fine.  You can fold it as wide as you want, soak it in water to help keep you cool, wear it inside or outside your shirt to prevent sling rub on your neck... and it weighs a lot less than a shemagh.

A collar flipped up on a regular polo-style shirt will do fine for that purpose too.

Yeah, but there's no pics of guys in afghanastan with flip up IZOD shirts or Bandanas.

A pink Ascot would also work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Either wear a turtle neck shirt or leave your neck bare. Wrapping something loose around it like a shemagh will only increase the chance that a piece of hot brass might fall between it and your neck, and instead of just bouncing off, will get held in place by the very thing you thought would protect you. End up burning your neck.

I've been to plenty of training... never once had to worry about flying brass nailing my neck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#19]
That's what I said above!

We didn't have any hot brass on anyone's neck/shirt this weekend.  And we were shooting in four man stacks and doing CQB room clearing stuff.

The recon wrap worked pretty well since it's a bit more snug to the neck.  It kept me from getting the RED NECK that I usually get after two days on the range.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That's what I said above!

Forgive me. Just finished an overnight shift and didn't read all the replies.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've been to plenty of training... never once had to worry about flying brass nailing my neck.

I've come away quite a few times with little circles and crecents burned into my face and neck from hot brass.  I had a medic tell me he thought it was ringworm, I told him to quit shooting so close to me and I'll probably quit getting ringworm.

I used the bandana technique quite a few times overseas, mostly to keep my neck from being torched by the sun.  I wouldn't really even tie it, just drape it over my neck so that the tails crossed in front of my chest and then I'd don my armor over it... that kept it in place pretty well.  The end result was basically a double layer of cloth soaked in water across my neck and held down by my body armor plates.  

I started doing this as a solution to hot brass being tossed into the top of my body armor and getting stuck there.

I suppose you could wear a sort of asbestos dicky but then you'd look like Dick Cavett.  And we all know that Dick Cavett looks pretty friggin retarded.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I wear a shemagh a lot for a Kafer.  I even wear it as a turban if I am doing a lot of yardwork.

They are really useful.  I even used it as a towel once and a "curtain" a number of times so I could could get some sleep when in the sandbox.

In a sandstorm you can tie them around your face (jihadi style) and it makes a nice dust mask.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top