Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 2:29:44 PM EDT
Anyone have any info or a picture?

Special Weapons for military & police has it on the cover but no info!

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]

I doesn't understand the Navy's reasoning.. why still the M-14 based system(s) ?

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Tho I've seen that its the version that looks something like this
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

www.snipercentral.com/m25.htm

SniperCentral state that the scopes used are B&L Tactical or sometimes Leupold.

Is B&L Elite series their tactical scope?

223REM
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The rifle in that picture is not the M-25 or XM-25, that is the USMC Designated Marksman Rifle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I doesn't understand the Navy's reasoning.. why still the M-14 based system(s) ?

they go blam every time you pull the trigger!
they will fire immediately after surfacing.
they are a proven and cost effective semi/full-auto.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rifle in that picture is not the M-25 or XM-25, that is the USMC Designated Marksman Rifle.

Yes, btu why do so many magazines suck spo badly. SO many of their writers knwo nothign at all about guns. Calling the M203 an M204. DO they check for mistakes at all? And then calling the M40 the M49? DO they know anything at all? Have they shot any firearm ever?

Anyways: the XM25 is the rifle shown in one of the pictures here the one in camo with the scope, basically an M1A with a few goodies.

Here's the DMR:

Doggonti (The SIGer)
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Osprey21-  I've read in a few places that the SEAL's prefer the M-14 style system in particular for cold weather reliability.

Also- I don't know why, but the Navy still seems to use it as a rifle on board many ships, either they put no budget into rifles, or they think that a rifle with a longer range punch makes more sense on the ocean as you are much more likely to be having to take very long distance shots.  Either way, 2 Navy guys I know in different places still say the M-14 is on board alot of ships.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was in service we had a lot of M14's in the armory, especially match grade weapons but very few were actually used in service other than the shooting teams and STA/Recon platoons. They remain in service because they  fill a void in the SF arsenal.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Doggonit !

Anyone know what brake that is ?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Osprey21-  I've read in a few places that the SEAL's prefer the M-14 style system in particular for cold weather reliability.

The M-14 is a dual purpose weapon for the SEALs.  Since the SEALs (at least through Vietnam) retained the select fire capability, the M-14 can be used for sniper work and, on full auto, could be used to break-off engagements.

More versatile and more suitable for small teams than a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#12]
OPS Inc. brake and suppressor. Same company provided the brake and suppressor for the SPR rifles also.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Why are they still using these when they have just received 300 Mk11 Mod 0's from Knights?

www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/article.cfm?Id=313
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why are they still using these when they have just received 300 Mk11 Mod 0's from Knights?

Maybe because the MK 11 is still semi-auto and the M-14 is select fire ??
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It takes a bit of time before a weapon system fully trickles down to all the units. And even then, there may be no requirement to ditch the older systems.

As far as the National Defense magazine article is concerned, there were a few mistakes in there.

The SR25 for instance, will not be automatically considered for inclusion in the National Matches, that's B.S.  maybe in the Match rifle category, but not in the Service Rifle category, because it is not THE service rifle of the Navy or anyone else.  If official adoption were all that is required, people would be allowed to use flat top AR's with Aimpoints.

And its Leupold, not Leopold, ND got that wrong as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OPS Inc. brake and suppressor. Same company provided the brake and suppressor for the SPR rifles also.

Does OPS Inc. have a website ? (I searched around)
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
223Rem,
The B&L tac has unfortunately been discontinued.   Many BTDT's actually preferred it over the Loopie Mk4's.  From what I hear the new B&L Elite's are no where near as good.  If you can find a nice used one get it fast!  Once in a while you'll see one on the snipercountry emporium, it's usually snapped up in less than a day.
later,
R
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
the way i understand it after hearing the scuttlebut from our 2112 about XM25 is that some warrant officer at quantico at the RTE shop proposed that using off the shelf components already in the Corps inventory he could bridge the gap supposedly filled by the DMR program. they use M14s with some civilian sourced parts and built them by hand. the scopes are from a lot that B&L submitted for evaluation but did not get the contract so the gov't has the scopes and no use for them. BTW i hear from people who've seen them that they are amazing scopes for the money. anyone here with more accurate info feel free to chime in. also is it safe to assume the Seals rifles were also built by the RTE?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Because it's accurate as hell & it shoots the 7.62 NATO rd. What more would one want? >gg<
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
My last deployment/Wespac the Old Man of the SEAL team was a Marine an 0311 but he wanted to be a SEAL so he did it,and we hung out on deployment.
He was really cool,He said the M14 was by far the most reliable american built battle rifle he has ever used.It does what they need,It will fire after being submerged.He said after the M4 they use the M14 more than any other personal weapon.
He was in the Gulf and Somalia.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Ops Inc. does not advertise.  No need.  Mil / LE only. He takes care of them, they take care of him.  The way it's supposed to be.

Heard of some problems with Knights.  Ops Inc. has rocked for years. Best thing since pockets.

Corps has access to M14s cheap.  The rifles are readily available as are the 2112s (armorers) to build 'em.  Simply a low cost solution to gain precision capability.

Some will argue that it's the old hands at Quantico being hardheaded and traditional.  That may be true as well.

Maintenance level requirements in the Corps are a headache.  Only a so and so level armorer can do the work up to this or that level and then someone else has to work on it.  14 is maintenance needy.

But ... you sure see 'em around a lot still.

Watch your sixes fellas.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top