Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 8:07:42 PM EDT
I have a Mini 14 with an Amega Ranges scout rail, and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for scope rings.  Looking for something that will fit a Smith and Wesson 1.5 x 6 28 mm LER scope.  I just have no clue what is good, bad, otherwise when it comes to rings.  Also, i want something that will mount low as possible, so i can get a good cheek weld on a Butler Creek folder i have on there.  Thanks folks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Weaver low or medium (because of the 28mm objective) mount rings, maybe? They're good enough for what you'll be using them for, and don't cost a whole lot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm guilty of using cheap scope rings.  Try to get the ones that use set screws for the scope caps.  I hate flat screws.

If you want to you can pay from $3 to $300 for scope rings.  You need to find your own comfort level.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I have a Mini 14 with an Amega Ranges scout rail, and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for scope rings.  Looking for something that will fit a Smith and Wesson 1.5 x 6 28 mm LER scope.  I just have no clue what is good, bad, otherwise when it comes to rings.  Also, i want something that will mount low as possible, so i can get a good cheek weld on a Butler Creek folder i have on there.  Thanks folks!

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for tips.  The black heater hose idea was great.  As far as the IER propietary scout scope idea, i hope that the scope i bought wont be a problem.  I dont reckon that it will, as it has a 10-18" eye relief rating, and i plan on mounting it somewhere in that range.  I think that i am gonna order the low and medium rings, and see which one fits best, and just return the one i dont use.  

Just received the scope in the mail today, and it looks to be high quality (seems the same gang that makes springfield armory optics makes, er should i say "made" S & W's).  I called a Smith representative to ask if they have recommendations on ring types (before i read your replies), and he said that they are no longer selling the scopes, that they didnt sell well and they stopped production.  He cited that they were too expensive... luckly i got mine half off!  Thanks again

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, any tips on where to find weaver rings for a good price?  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Try CDNNinvestments and crankyfarmer.

Probably find the $300 ones at Brownells.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Also, any tips on where to find weaver rings for a good price?  Thanks

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The last set of Weaver rings I bought were 30mm low mount, and were *about* $30 or so, from Brownell's.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm more into the $3 Tasco rings.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
The last set of Weaver rings I bought were 30mm low mount, and were *about* $30 or so, from Brownell's.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about the Amega rail, but the Ultimak one was so low to the bore, that I could have used taller rings.

Take a yardstick and lay it across the top of the front sight and rear aperture.  Try to measure from the ruler to the rail surface.  Your rings will need to have at least that much "meat" between the rail and scope tube.
Then, given a 1 inch scope tube, your LOS thru the optic will be a little over 1/2 inch higher than your iron sight LOS, so a normal cheek weld will still work well.

You MAY be able to use the LER scope, if it does work at 10 inches.  You may have field of view issues.  Good luck.

Paladin

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm more into the $3 Tasco rings.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

LOL, ya know actually, I've used the "cheapie" Tasco rings on .22's for years, and they've never once let me down; just gotta loctite the clamping screws, is all.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet set-up Paladin, that is more or less what i am aiming (no pun intended) to do with my Mini.  I am hunting around for rings, and looked upwhat brownells has.  The following are the most interesting possible-purchases i found.  Feel free to comment my wise friends!  

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=15622&title=4x4+RINGS
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=15623&title=SURE-GRIP+RINGS

By the way, there is a 1/8" gap between the Amegaranges scout mount and the top of the forearm on my Mini (i have a Butler Creek Folder on there).  The scout mount is great, it holds a tactical light and is pretty well made, but man, it worries me that there is that gap.  This "gap" runs the left side of the base of the mount and the upper area of the forearm, and conjurs images of dirt or grit getting into the gas area and recoil spring assembly.  In other words, the mount does not fit flush with the stock.  Does your Ultimak have this same characteristic?  I emailed Ultimak, and they said that yes, indeed they do have a gap on the left side to let gasses vent and prevent the stock from altering point of aim of the scope, but i am curious as to how large this Ultimak gap is compared to my Amegaranges.  Any pics would be much appreciated.  Also, any suggestions on moderately priced "quick throw QD lever" scope mounts?  I would like to have the capability to quickly detach the optics in the event that i need to go to iron sights.  Thanks folks!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top