Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2010 5:27:26 AM EDT
SCARs for SOCOM

Despite the bullshit you have read before SOCOM is ordering these bad boys.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#1]
When it comes to .mil contracting...Don't believe everything you read.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The Mk16 did get the axe tho.

Gabe Bailey, the marketing director for military weapons at FNH-USA:

"You are correct and I am not hiding any facts. And, as the main customer has stated, they do not plan to buy the MK 16...in my humble opinion, this has nothing to do with performance but rather smartly-weighed budget decisions."

After six years of dragging FN trough this mess this should be FN's answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbQWO22pprk

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Um last i heard they were all being recalled, WTF? [confused]
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Mk16 did get the axe tho.

Gabe Bailey, the marketing director for military weapons at FNH-USA:

"You are correct and I am not hiding any facts. And, as the main customer has stated, they do not plan to buy the MK 16...in my humble opinion, this has nothing to do with performance but rather smartly-weighed budget decisions."

After six years of dragging FN trough this mess this should be FN's answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbQWO22pprk

They are just buying the Mk17 so they can use 7.6 or 5.56 out of the same  weapon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are just buying the Mk17 so they can use 7.6 or 5.56 out of the same  weapon.

The MK 17 (7.62mm) is also the base of the SCAR common receiver currently under final test and evaluation by USSOCOM.

I think you're right.  The serialized common upper receiver design concept is a brilliant adaptation to bureaucratic property control, accounting and budgeting procedures, which allows SOCOM units to have a lot of flexibility while keeping a minimum of "weapons" on inventory.  New calibers, new barrel configurations, new lowers to use different magazines can all be done with no purchase of new "weapons" or altering the design of the original standardized configuration.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I heard regular troops might start to field the SCAR also.

I cannot confirm nor denied if is true, just word of mouth.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MK 17 (7.62mm) is also the base of the SCAR common receiver currently under final test and evaluation by USSOCOM.

I think you're right.  The serialized common upper receiver design concept is a brilliant adaptation to bureaucratic property control, accounting and budgeting procedures, which allows SOCOM units to have a lot of flexibility while keeping a minimum of "weapons" on inventory.  New calibers, new barrel configurations, new lowers to use different magazines can all be done with no purchase of new "weapons" or altering the design of the original standardized configuration.

That Mk17 common receiver could be the cheapest ,easiest way to introduce some new  intermediate cartridge not held back by the AR15 mag.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
B...b...but I heard that they were ditching it and moving towards the ACR!  The internet never lies!!!!

Stoked for it, I think the SCAR is a pretty slick package.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#9]
What, what, what?????
Man this keeps going back and forth!
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What, what, what?????

No it doesnt try reading. I stated above that they are only making the Mk17...the gun that can use 5.56 or 7.62. Why make Mk16 when the Mk17 can do the same thing in 2 diffrent calibers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'd really like to buy, a SCAR receiver that was capable of caliber changes with a some parts swapping.

So I'm confused, is the current production version Mk17 capable of being reconfigured for multiple calibers, or is that something they are working on for future release?

Or more relevant to my interests: is the civilian version of the SCAR-17 going to be able to run 7.62 and 5.56?  I'm real close to ordering a SCAR-16, but if that's the case, I'll hold for the 17.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

When it comes to .mil contracting...Don't believe everything ANYTHING you read.

There I fixed it.

I was just reading in another thread that they gave up on the SCAR and cut them all up. lol

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]
How many times have they approved the SCAR for FRP? LOL
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'd really like to buy, a SCAR receiver that was capable of caliber changes with a some parts swapping.

So I'm confused, is the current production version Mk17 capable of being reconfigured for multiple calibers, or is that something they are working on for future release?

Or more relevant to my interests: is the civilian version of the SCAR-17 going to be able to run 7.62 and 5.56?  I'm real close to ordering a SCAR-16, but if that's the case, I'll hold for the 17.

The last informed word I read on the subject was that the "common receiver" is a Mk17 upper with the specific compatible, retrofit parts (bolt, barrel, lower) that enable it to run 5.56 cal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, what, what?????

No it doesnt try reading. I stated above that they are only making the Mk17...the gun that can use 5.56 or 7.62. Why make Mk16 when the Mk17 can do the same thing in 2 diffrent calibers.

Multi-cal capability makes perfect sense, so why wasn't that the plan from the get-go? Oh, the .gov was involved? Then I understand.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is FNH's Gabe Bailey addressing the SCAR/SOCOM matter:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60510&page=2

His statement is posted on 18 AUG 2010, 1609 hrs.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here is FNH's Gabe Bailey addressing the SCAR/SOCOM matter:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60510&page=2

His statement is posted on 18 AUG 2010, 1609 hrs.

Hope this helps.

Mother of God, did you guys see the picture of that Scar 17 at the bottom of that article. DO FUCKING WANT..

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
B...b...but I heard that they were ditching it and moving towards the ACR!  The internet never lies!!!!

Stoked for it, I think the SCAR is a pretty slick package.

Yep.........

and you cant interchange 5.56 to 7.62 or vice versa with an ACR!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top