Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2011 11:50:09 AM EDT
Today in the desert, it decided to get chilly. I had brought a couple of boxes of Portuguese ammo marked FNM 76-32. Light strikes galore with this ammo, almost half of the twenty!!!. All the other ammo I had was fine. Now, the Port. ammo is somewhat well known for light strikes with the FNFAL, but a stronger hammer spring cures it, and in fact my FAL ran through twenty rounds of the same lot without problems. I wonder if there is a way to get a stronger hammer spring for the SCAR 17? Opinions?
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me add that it was only the one lot# of Port. ammo with issues. Other lot #'s of Port ammo that I have been shooting were fine. Lastly, all this happened when it got cold out today. (it's friggin' snowing out right now).
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot PORT exclusively in mine without any issues at all. I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but perhaps it is just a spring issue, or just a problem with that lot #.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I really think it is the particular lot # I am shooting. this ammo also shoots dirtier then the other lots I have shot. (I have quite a few cases, and this is the oldest I have opened). most of the Port I have shot so far has been
BF 79-76, BF 80-30, and BF 79-67. All nice and accurate, but the FNM 76-32 has harder primers. That's ok, my FAL loves the FNM 76-32.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
How much did you pay for the gun???  Buy better ammo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How much did you pay for the gun???  Buy better ammo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Port "is" good ammo.  Not to mention "ALL" ammo have issues from time to time, whether it be a certain lot no. or otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the same thing happen in my 17S (light primer strikes) in one out of five battlepacks of 200 rounds.  Damn near 50% would not fire in that pack.  Dissappointing, but not really surprising for surplus ammo.  It doesn't get surplused because it still 100% reliable...

Stephen
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I can deal with light strikes with certain lots. In the lots that fire (all but one), the Port is some of the most accurate surplus there is.  Yeah, I guess I am cheap, as I payed 135 bucks delivered per case for the Port, and I bought a bunch of 'em to boot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top