Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 1:42:14 PM EDT
Am I correct in that the engraving on a SBS can be done on the barrel and does not have to be on the 870 receiver itself?

Thanks,

T2
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Am I correct in that the engraving on a SBS can be done on the barrel and does not have to be on the 870 receiver itself?

Thanks,
T2
View Quote

For everything but the serial number, you're allowed to engrave on the frame, receiver, barrel or pistol slide (if applicable). The SN is the only thing that must be on the frame or receiver.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That is what I though!  I like the idea of engraving on the barrel better than on the reciever!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is what I though!  I like the idea of engraving on the barrel better than on the reciever!
View Quote

For a shotgun where you're not swapping uppers around, it's a pretty good idea.

In case you want the statute behind my answer, you can read it here (only 4 pages, not too bad of a read).

Here are the important parts:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) authorizes licensed manufacturers and licensed importers of firearms, and makers of National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms, to adopt the serial number, caliber/gauge, and/or model already identified on a firearm without seeking a marking variance, provided all of the conditions in this ruling are met. Licensed manufacturers seeking to adopt all of the required markings, including the original manufacturer’s name and place of origin, must receive an approved variance from ATF. ATF Ruling 75-28 is superseded, and ATF Industry Circular 77-20 is clarified.

Held, pursuant to 27 CFR 478.92(a)(4)(i) and 479.102(c), ATF authorizes licensed manufacturers and licensed importers of firearms, and makers, to adopt the serial number, caliber/gauge, and/or model already identified on a firearm without seeking a marking variance, provided all of the following conditions are met:
1. The manufacturer, importer, or maker must legibly and conspicuously place on the frame, receiver, barrel, or pistol slide (if applicable) his/her own name (or recognized abbreviation) and location (city and State, or recognized abbreviation of the State) as specified under his/her Federal firearms license (if a licensee);
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top