Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 4:28:30 PM EDT
Got a cali DOJ HK94 want it pimped out. Paddle mag, cut barrel (3lug?), maybe even a restamp.
Anybody got suggestions for a HK artist. Oh yeah a FA bolt carrier or MOD my semi. Include contact info and any experiences, prices,turn around times. Form 1 should be back this week. Mine looked mint so I don't need a refinish.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I can recommend Arizona Response Systems for HK work. He did my SL8/G36 clone, and is refinishing one of my Cali DOJ HK94s. When that comes back, he's getting the other one to SBR.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
ARS, TCS, Terry Dyer, Curtis Higgins, Ralph Smith of RDTS, Urbach, Azex, Jayson at IGF others... waits are from 2 to 4 months or longer. Sorry no personal experience, I am awaiting my SP89 to MP5k "pimp" from Urbach. I have heard it can be years with Urbach....

Cutoff/3 lug is from $120 to $175 plus $60 adapter,
paddle mag is about $160 to $200,
remark about $200,
You're going to need refinish if you have remark, aren't you?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is it that some of the big HK builders take so long?  Does the actual work take that long or is it just the wait for your project to get to the top of the pile?  How many projects do these guys start and finish in a week? a month?  

Spooky
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Its waiting for your project to come up on their list.  Alot of them do more than just HK work, so it can really take a while.

I waited about 6 months for my SW5 build to come back from IGF.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why is it that some of the big HK builders take so long?  Does the actual work take that long or is it just the wait for your project to get to the top of the pile?  How many projects do these guys start and finish in a week? a month?  

Spooky

There are hundreds of HK (and clone) owners wanting service, so these guys are backed up.  Many will say they're backed up about 2 to 4 months, but everyone knows that means 6 months or longer depending on the project.  The more difficult, the longer it is.  An SD conversion might be 12 to 18 months, I understand.  If it is simpler, like an HK94 to MP5 conversion, maybe a lot less.  
If they were really honest about turnover then nobody would send them stuff.
These guys sometimes do things in batches, so they get up enough projects of a certain type to do a batch. That way all the fixtures are set up, I think.   You get into a rhythm and more efficient when you do it this way.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spooky

There are hundreds of HK (and clone) owners wanting service, so these guys are backed up.  Many will say they're backed up about 2 to 4 months, but everyone knows that means 6 months or longer depending on the project.  The more difficult, the longer it is.  An SD conversion might be 12 to 18 months, I understand.  If it is simpler, like an HK94 to MP5 conversion, maybe a lot less.  
If they were really honest about turnover then nobody would send them stuff.
These guys sometimes do things in batches, so they get up enough projects of a certain type to do a batch. That way all the fixtures are set up, I think.   You get into a rhythm and more efficient when you do it this way.

That alone is making me rethink my DOJ project.  for the cost I can do a 9mm AR SBR or a bobcat gun and have tons of cash left over, AND have it sooner.

bp
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Jayson just finished replacing the barrel, a paddle mag release and refinish of my CA DOJ Hk 94.  Took him 2-3 weeks from my door to being finished.  The long wait is for my Form 1 to be approved, so for now it sits in his safe
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jayson just finished replacing the barrel, a paddle mag release and refinish of my CA DOJ Hk 94.  Took him 2-3 weeks from my door to being finished.  The long wait is for my Form 1 to be approved, so for now it sits in his safehr

Ditto! 4weeks to build my MP5/40 and still waiting on a Corp. Form 1 (33days and counting).
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Jayson just finished replacing the barrel, a paddle mag release and refinish of my CA DOJ Hk 94.  Took him 2-3 weeks from my door to being finished.  The long wait is for my Form 1 to be approved, so for now it sits in his safe

Good to know!  I'll have to send it to him next month.

Did you have him do the SBR engraving as well?

bp
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Contact info for Jayson and what kind money did you spend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why is it that some of the big HK builders take so long? Does the actual work take that long or is it just the wait for your project to get to the top of the pile? How many projects do these guys start and finish in a week? a month?

Supply and demand.  Both can ruin a builders life.  Any AK fans remember Gary Gucciano (aka Soltice Arms)?  he had two of my kits for over 2 years......Kansas DA returned them.  The stuff he completed was/is some of the best AK stuff out there    
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Builders just have to be smart.  To book yourself up some much that people will have to wait a year is just insane.  They should stop taking work at some point until they are caught up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input...

Top reasons I see here:
1) Too many HK lovers out there
2) Long waiting lists (see#1)
3) Batch method of building
4) ATF approval process

Spooky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top