Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 11:27:22 AM EDT
This may be a dumb question, but here goes......I am wanting to build a 9mm AR with a 10.5 in. barrel. How do I go about registering the lower as SBR ? I'm assuming that stands for short barreled rifle. I want to be completely legal with this and I have been told I will have to register the lower as a SBR lower.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.........Rick
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The trust option sounds like the way to go.  How does one go about getting it done. Can it be done by yourself or do you have to pay a lawyer a butt load of money to get it done.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
You could have a lawyer write you one up, OR, you could download a program that does it for you, such as Quicken WillMaker.  It's a step by step thing. You just print it off, and take it to get notarized at a bank or whatever.  Then just send a copy of it in with your forms.  Easy as pie.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do your SBR under a trust... much easier and more flexible... cheaper too if you have to pay for finger prints.  No LE sign off, no finger prints, and you can allow other family members to posess your NFA items as trustees vs having to have them locked up or risking a federal prison sentence if you get caught making an illegal transfer to your wife by forgetting to lock your safe or telling her the combo.

So, how do you go about doing a trust?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do your SBR under a trust... much easier and more flexible... cheaper too if you have to pay for finger prints.  No LE sign off, no finger prints, and you can allow other family members to posess your NFA items as trustees vs having to have them locked up or risking a federal prison sentence if you get caught making an illegal transfer to your wife by forgetting to lock your safe or telling her the combo.

Please tell me that hasnt happened to people.

Please.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info......1 question.......who qualifies as a CLEO ? Is it the chief of police or the county sherriff ? Or maybe someone else ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Either, usually both.
Ask on a hometown forum and see if anyone knows which one it is.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
your first stop for a CLEO signoff is whoever would show up at your house if you dialed 911.

Try that chief/sheriff/etc first.

There's a big long list of people you can go through though. it's posted in the class 3 area somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1, save yourself some headaches. And if you decide to get more NFA goodies, you don't have to do another trust, just the appropriate BATFE forms, as opposed to having to go get permission from your CLEO again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]
One more stupid question......What is a trust, exactly ? I'm going to do one, but I'd like to know exactly what it is before I jump into it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been wondering about this as well, any online examples of how to word the trust specifically for SBR's and suppressors? I'm considering the willmaker but would need some more info to fill out correctly.

Quoted:
One more stupid question......What is a trust, exactly ? I'm going to do one, but I'd like to know exactly what it is before I jump into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top