Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2009 8:24:34 AM EDT
I saw this on another forum and it got me to wondering if it was possible to make a short range (under 100 yard) humane kill on a whitetail deer with a SBR.  TSX bullets open up pretty quick and don't rely on fragmentation, but would an SBR still be pushing enough velocity to get the penetration and open up the TSX?  

SSA 5.56
Designation: 70 grain Barnes TSX-BT
11.5 inch 1:7 twist barrel
70 grain Barnes TSX BT
All copper Open Tip, 2730 FPS from 20 inch barrel
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#1]
As if hunting deer with a regular length .223 isn't absurd enough?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do you expect deer to be pouncing on you from behind bushes like raptors and dropping from the trees like monkeys?
Are you gonna be stalking them through tight corridors?
Don't be "that guy" ..

That is all...
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Negative....just saw a thread about it and wondered if it was possible with the right ammo.  Just figured some of you guys with SBR's would know.

I perfer 6.8, .308 or .270 for our 4-legged hoofed friends.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Another instance of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Will it work, yes.
Plenty of dead enemy combatants out there to prove its effective.
Will the TSX open at that low of a velocity, I don't know.
Is it ethical?  That depends on your level of skill with the weapon...
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Every living thing on this planet can be killed with a  measily .22lr pistol...................but you better be a good shot

Now, "not from this planet".........you better get the biggest gun you own
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't a good length for 6.8 SPC something like 12.5"? I can imagine a 12.5" 6.8 SPC AR being a good, light, accurate, hard hitting hunting rifle. .223 not so much.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
On the topic of hunting with an SBR, not caliber specific, yes, its possible. I know of few people that hunt with SBR .458 socom rifles here in IN. But with a .223, IMHO, it would have to be a close range shot; you'd be better served by a bigger caliber.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, it is doable.

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
.458 SBR...now that would be one sweet setup.  I have thought about 6.8, but a big bore would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
6.5grendal 10.5'' barrel would work for small deer, etc

for any real game you should get an ar10 and sbr it or something along those lines (.308)
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
i killed several sitka-blacktails with my 11.5" AR last winter.

i would hunt with it more, but for the brown bears that run thick around here. a .223 SBR doesn't cut it for bear protection.

now, in winter (december-january), hunting for deer is pretty much bear-free as they are snoozin by then. i LOVE hunting with the SBR. its light, short, and accurate. i have a TAO1 mounted on it and i get 1.5MOA with it. i'm using 55 grn nosler ballistic tips and they really work great.

now, our blacktailed deer are pretty small, i don't think i would hunt a whitetail or mulie with this rifle, but it works great on our smaller deer.

early in the season i hunt with the FAL.... 20 rounds of 168 TSXs help me feel safe in bear country...

ymmv
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't know about deer but this year will be an outing with the SBR 50 Beuwolf to go hog hunting.  Hope 400 grain jacketed softpoint is enough
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought most states it was illegal to hunt deer with more than 5 rounds or a .223 round?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I thought most states it was illegal to hunt deer with more than 5 rounds or a .223 round?

alaska aint one of those states..

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#16]
They hunt men with these things so why not hunt a deer with it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you expect deer to be pouncing on you from behind bushes like raptors and dropping from the trees like monkeys?
Are you gonna be stalking them through tight corridors?
Don't be "that guy" ..

That is all...

.223 can be a sufficient round for smaller deer.... depends on your area

Hunting with AR's is very important to our sport, just be sure that the deer in your area are small enough to not need anything bigger.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Hunting with AR's is very important to our sport, just be sure that the deer in your area are small enough to not need anything bigger.

I do good with the 6.8 and did pretty good last year.  Have a SBR that will hopefully be approved by deer season, but it is 5.56 and just don't think it is enough with the velocity loss.   It looks like the ballistic for .458 and 6.8 out of a SBR are good enough for our smaller Georgia deer.  No limits on magazine capacity or centerfire cartridges in Georgia.

6.8 SPC 110 TSX
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas aint either
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas aint either

Correct.

I have taken a doe with a 9mm SBR. and a former GF took a buck with a 9mm AR.  (her's was a 16").

The round was subsonic in both guns and both deer were DRT.

Lost count of the number of feral hogs I have taken with a 9mm SBR.  In both SEMI and AUTO.

147 grain subsonic has ruined alot of four-legged's days.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#21]
when beach hunting for deer (you take long shots sometimes) i noticed on 300+ yard shots with the 24" varmint upper, that the .223 had BETTER penetration than at closer range.

at the time i was using 69 grn match for better long range accuracy.

at close ranges, the bullet would basically explode with a head or neck shot, this was fine as it always resulted in an instant kill....

at longer ranges the bullet is going slow enough that it does NOT break up but rather mushrooms back and punches on through.

last winter was the first time i hunted with the 11.5" SBR, great for walking in the woods with. all the deer that i shot had excellent exit wounds. no expolsive bullet break ups. the loads i'm shooting in that particular SBR are with a 55 grain ballistic tip going 2500 FPS.

i'd say that, within 100 yrds with good shot placement, a SBR .223 really works well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
when beach hunting for deer (you take long shots sometimes) i noticed on 300+ yard shots with the 24" varmint upper, that the .223 had BETTER penetration than at closer range.

at the time i was using 69 grn match for better long range accuracy.

at close ranges, the bullet would basically explode with a head or neck shot, this was fine as it always resulted in an instant kill....

at longer ranges the bullet is going slow enough that it does NOT break up but rather mushrooms back and punches on through.

last winter was the first time i hunted with the 11.5" SBR, great for walking in the woods with. all the deer that i shot had excellent exit wounds. no expolsive bullet break ups. the loads i'm shooting in that particular SBR are with a 55 grain ballistic tip going 2500 FPS.

i'd say that, within 100 yrds with good shot placement, a SBR .223 really works well.

any pics of the gun used? i am not interested in trying (especially here in utah) but am very interested in general! thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#23]
here is the SBR. the AR was the first form 1 i did, the 12 guage SBS was the second.

this lil AR is pretty accurate with the TAO1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top