Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 8:52:18 AM EDT
Does it matter if it says 5.56 on the receiver and you want to use a 9mm upper?  

I thought that I had read that register it as multi for the caliber, is that true?

I am about to run out to the store and pick up my first AR lower for a future SBR build and wanted to make sure I didn't buy something I would get stuck with one type of setup.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:17:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:26:17 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does it matter if it says 5.56 on the receiver and you want to use a 9mm upper?  No.

I thought that I had read that register it as multi for the caliber, is that true? No.

I am about to run out to the store and pick up my first AR lower for a future SBR build and wanted to make sure I didn't buy something I would get stuck with one type of setup.

The caliber marked on the receiver is irrelevant. You should fill out the Form 1 with the actual caliber you intend to build.

+1

In fact, there is no requirement to even engrave a caliber on the receiver, I wish MFGs would stop doing it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:56:10 PM EDT
I sent in a letter that said something to the effect of

Please note that the primary caliber to be used on AR-15 SN#: XYZABC registered as a SBR is .223.  Additionally, the rifle may be used at times with upper recievers in the following calibers and lengths
458 SOCOM - 10.5"
9mm - 7.5"
223 - 7.5"
22LR- 10"

Just what my local SOT reccomended that I do
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:13:21 PM EDT

Quoted:
I sent in a letter that said something to the effect of

Please note that the primary caliber to be used on AR-15 SN#: XYZABC registered as a SBR is .223.  Additionally, the rifle may be used at times with upper recievers in the following calibers and lengths
458 SOCOM - 10.5"
9mm - 7.5"
223 - 7.5"
22LR- 10"

Just what my local SOT reccomended that I do

When I went in to buy the lower I asked and the dealer said they recently got one approved that was listed as multi caliber.

Guess I will find out when I send in my paper work and check.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:59:01 PM EDT

Quoted:
When I went in to buy the lower I asked and the dealer said they recently got one approved that was listed as multi caliber.

From what I've read, it's hit or miss. Some have been approved that way and other have been turned down. I guess it comes down to which processor you get and what kind of a day they are having?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:17:27 PM EDT
I am just about to purchase my first SBR.  I have decided that I am going to build a 12.5" 6.8 SPC upper for the first rifle.

After seeing some very logical posts here, I am going to :

1) list the SBR as caliber 6.8 SPC, even if the stupid receiver says "5.56MM NATO."  Get approval on From 4 and pick up my SBR lower, then buy that upper.

2) Send a Letter to BATFE when I purchase the next few uppers, and notify them that I intend to use this SBR with those described uppers from time to time.

3) notify them in writing, in duplicate, and ask for a return of one signed copy from them,  if I ever sell the initial upper thus permanently changing the original caliber designation that they have in the registry.

Per the suggestions of those here that definitely seem to know...thanks
Top Top