Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/17/2005 2:52:25 PM EDT
I've been going to Gunbroker a lot lately, looking at the deals. It seems to me that the prices on SA. M1A's have been going down lately. No one in their right mind will pay the MSRP for an M1A. But, I'm seeing NIB Socom's going for under 1400 bucks. Contrast to my local gun stores that have loaded M1A's just sitting and rotting for 1500 bucks each. There also seems to be a pretty healthy market for used guns, which I suspect might be driving the prices of NIB down. There are also some pretty nice deals on Chicom guns, such as this one- www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36073615

Is SA finally getting enough supply to meet demand?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:23:10 PM EDT
The market seems to be flooded with SOCOM's at this time.
SCOUT's are now the hard to find M1A.
Come to think of it - I haven't seen a Stanard in the rack for a long time either...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:32:45 PM EDT
Yeah, to the best of my knowledge, I've never seen a Scout in person. I'm starting to think they've phased the Scout out for the Socom. I guess they figure if people are going to buy a short M1A, they'll probably buy the super short one.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:43:54 PM EDT
Everyone seems to have USGI parts fever right now, and being that SA guns now do not have USGI parts (due to supply running out) you are seeing the result.

Or a market glut. SOCOM was the shit hot rifle when it came out, but now there are plenty of them to go around.

Or maybe a combination of both factors...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:03:55 PM EDT
I don't understand the fervor behind the USGI thing. Aren't these just parts from old M14's? If soldiers treat their guns as poorly as cops do (like they're disposable), then I really don't want USGI. What the heck is wrong with brand new? Hopefully I'm not starting a flame war.

Anyway, it seems like whenever I read The Shotgun News, I see some new company selling AR-15's and 1911's. Both great guns, but dang...how do any of these companies make any money when there are 100 other guys selling what is essentially the same thing? Why don't any of these companies start making M1A's?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:02:46 AM EDT
A month or so back I bought a ploy like new NIB with only 20 rounds shot trough it had 2- 5 round mags and 1- 20 round mag for 550.00 FTF. He bought it new in 1993 before the ban fired a few rounds trough it said he didn't really have a place to shoot so he greased it back up and but it back in the box
and just forgot about it for over ten years. When I got a first look at it. You would have never knew it had been out of the box seemed to good to be true but he still made a few hundred off the sell. There are alot m-14 clones just sitting around that have never seen much use you just have to watch for them. I have four now 2 ploys 1 armscrop match rifle built in 1990 and a all trw LRB rack rifle with just over 3500.00 in all four.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:24:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By agillig:
I don't understand the fervor behind the USGI thing. Aren't these just parts from old M14's? If soldiers treat their guns as poorly as cops do (like they're disposable), then I really don't want USGI. What the heck is wrong with brand new? Hopefully I'm not starting a flame war.

Anyway, it seems like whenever I read The Shotgun News, I see some new company selling AR-15's and 1911's. Both great guns, but dang...how do any of these companies make any money when there are 100 other guys selling what is essentially the same thing? Why don't any of these companies start making M1A's?

Well, as far as the USGI parts go, USGI is generally considered to be higher quality parts because the gov held parts to higher standards then some commericial parts. New parts are fine but if I can get a new condition USGI part for the rifle for the same price or a bit more, I'll take USGI. A lot of the USGI parts were forged instead of cast and the USGI doesn't seem to wear out as much. Look at all the problems SA inc has had with QC and their case parts.

It's about time SA inc started reducing the price of their rifles. I bought a SA INC rifle used awhile back for about 1100 dollars. It was a good deal but I have a hard time shelling out 1500-2000 dollars for a rifle, espically if the rifle needs work to get it shooting up to par. These are great rifles but they are too pricy if you ask me. I wish SA would sell the supermatch for 1400 to 1500 and the loaded for 1000 and standards for 800. That would be decent prices if you ask me.

These rifles need to come down a bit if they ever want to move any of them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:55:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By colt100:

Well, as far as the USGI parts go, USGI is generally considered to be higher quality parts because the gov held parts to higher standards then some commericial parts. New parts are fine but if I can get a new condition USGI part for the rifle for the same price or a bit more, I'll take USGI. A lot of the USGI parts were forged instead of cast and the USGI doesn't seem to wear out as much. Look at all the problems SA inc has had with QC and their case parts.

It's about time SA inc started reducing the price of their rifles. I bought a SA INC rifle used awhile back for about 1100 dollars. It was a good deal but I have a hard time shelling out 1500-2000 dollars for a rifle, espically if the rifle needs work to get it shooting up to par. These are great rifles but they are too pricy if you ask me. I wish SA would sell the supermatch for 1400 to 1500 and the loaded for 1000 and standards for 800. That would be decent prices if you ask me.

+1 I am on Colt100 on this. The prices must come down. I have yet to pay the full retail price of an M1A. 1500 bucks in my opinion is too much.

Max
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:49:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By maxell27:

Originally Posted By colt100:

+1 I am on Colt100 on this. The prices must come down. I have yet to pay the full retail price of an M1A. 1500 bucks in my opinion is too much.

Max

Absolutely. If M1a's were $800 I would have one by now. I have heard of too many problems and one problem I saw for myself to spend $1500 on a new rifle. If you think about it you can get a parts kit and forged reciever for $1500, if you watch carefully.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:21:10 PM EDT
Well, the latest Shotgun News has an ad for M1A's-

1399 for a Loaded M1A
1399 for a Socom
1299 for a Scout
1199 for a Standard
1650 for National Match
1995 for Super Match

That's more like it, IMO. No way I'm paying 1500 bucks for a Standard.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:20:26 PM EDT
I'll buy a Springfield M1a when they have forged receivers (and other parts) for less than $1200.

That's not going to happen, so I won't buy one.

My Polytech is great with no mods done to it other than a USGI synthetic stock.

WIZZO
Top Top