Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 4:31:01 PM EDT
Why are so many folks replacing bolts and other parts on the Springfield Armory M1A rifles? They seem to be very well made...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Some for reliability (extractor), some for smoothness of action( spring guide, triggergroup), and though I know I'm backing up to the fire, some monkey see monkey do.

Chief
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Paging desertmoon....paging desertmoon.

R
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 standard models that I bought in 02'---one has a TRW barrel and the other has a HR barrel. The one with the HR barrel also has a GI trigger housing and thats ALL the GI parts between the 2. I picked them up when I heard SA was running out of GI barrels, figuring (at least in my opinion) that the barrel was the GI part that matters most.
They have performed flawlessly thru about  800 rds. each--so they're really just getting broke in.
I prefer my FAL's and AR's for funtime shooting, and would probably grab one of my FAL's if I was heading out the door and could grab only one rifle--But would not feel lacking at all if all I could have was a SA,inc. M1A.

I think SA,inc. M1A's suffer from a bit of a bad rap due to the fact when someone has a problem, they tend to tell everyone out of frustration (and rightly so)--but most people that get a good one don't think much of it or say much about it on the forums because that is EXPECTED when paying 1000+ for a rifle.

The only repro part I feel is a legit concern for replacement may be the extractors--alot of horror stories seem directly linked to this relatively cheap part.
my 2 cents
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no idea. Mine's all "inferior" commercial parts, but it hasn't had any hiccup at all.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing that makes me shake my head at new M1As is the rattletrap front bands.  I helped a guy at the range with his M1A whose front band and handguard were loose and rattly.  Really looks and sounds crappy and doesn't do anything for accuracy.  I mean, how freaking hard is it for SA to put a $3 set of shims on their M1As to tighten the slop on the gas cylinder?

I'm not SAI bashing; I am a proud owner of 3 M1As that I will never get rid of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top