Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 3:00:45 PM EDT
Brand Spanking new Super Match, marine corps stock. F'er fell apart on me after 18 rounds. The bolt extractor, little spring and firing pin all fell out. Please help. I am just a Marine, but I guess mil-spec is not strong enough for knuckle draggin' door kickers.

What is the boards opinion. I was using Portugese "green" ammo with a head stamp....FNM 76-33.

Thanks OUT
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar problem on my SA Inc M1A, with the bolt spitting the extractor every so often.   Just replace the stock extractor and plunger spring with USGI parts.  I did that on mine and never had a problem after that.  Places like Fulton Armory have the USGI replacement parts that you need, and should cost you less than $25.   From what I have read, this is a common problem with the SA Inc repro extractor and spring.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Call Springfield and express your displeasure over the issue.  Be firm, and polite.   I can see some shoddy quality control on standard rifles, but a Super Match?  The president should be going through those one by one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:16:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
After you re-assemble your bolt (with USGI parts, of course),  flip it over and inspect the drilled-through hole which now contains the extractor shaft.  The bottom of the shaft should be recessed beneath the surface of the bolt by about .010" or so.

Raf, this shouldn't have to be done to a brand new rifle. When you spend this kind of money, it should freaking work. My M1A is at SA right now and I wish I never ever spent the money on it. Current Springfield Armory rifles aren't worth the cardboard they are shipped in. Wanna hear something wonderful about SA?

Bought the rifle one year ago
Could never get 5 rounds through it without binding and jamming. Bullets hitting feed ramps while loading and bending bullets to around a 30 degree angle!!

Sent it back to SA

SA calls and says it's fixed, but the USGI bolts I included for them to install, (in my brand new $1200 rifle mind you) wouldn't "work" so the SA tech claims.

M1A returns home, continues to fail

M1A sent to a third pary armorer for USGI parts swap. Armorer calls and says headspace on rifle is too short, my USGI bolts will not headspace on the rifle, furthermore, either will the commercial SA bolt!!!!! Springfield Armory sold me a rifle with an out of spec receiver, with bad headspace. Then, they had it in for repars and sent it back to me with bad headspace again. I'm lucky this rilfe didn't blow up in my face.

You guys keep defending this company if you want. Fact is, they are beyond incompetant these days, they are dangerous. Something really bad has happened at that company, they used to be an excellent firearms company. They now are hacks.

These rifles are now crap. My next will be built for me on an LRB receiver.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Call Springfield and express your displeasure over the issue.  Be firm, and polite.   I can see some shoddy quality control on standard rifles, but a Super Match?  The president should be going through those one by one.

I just don't get that. How can you expect shoddy QC on a $1200 rifle? Maybe that's why they feed us crap, because we eat it. I was outshot all day by my buddy with a $300 Romanian AK. An M1A should always outperform an AK. The M14 sure as hell did way back when. Oh that's right, the M14 is going up against AK's again. If SA wasn't the junk company they are, they'd most likely end up with a current military contract. I don't ever see that happening.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
 I've been bitching about SA for years and the many reasons above are exactly why.  The bottom line is THE BOTTOM LINE.  Springfield couldn't care less about quality....the only thing they care about is YOUR MONEY.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 I've been bitching about SA for years and the many reasons above are exactly why.  The bottom line is THE BOTTOM LINE.  Springfield couldn't care less about quality....the only thing they care about is YOUR MONEY.

They won't have many customers if they keep up that attitude. I'm glad I got my M1A NM years ago, with all GI parts, except the barrel which is after-market.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I had several problems with my SA Rifle, mostly being from the receiver not accepting a GI scope mount, as well as functioning problems.  they finally gave me my money back after 1 batch of replacement parts sent out to me and 2 return trips to SA to fix the problems, which they never did fully.  Their High end stuff is put together by the "match shop" and Dale Rader is the supervisor over there, but they are getting garbage for parts, and putting it on super match rifles.  I saw an M21 with a messed up receiver, didn't even bother looking at the internals.  SA QC is garbage, their CS dept lies to you and tells you what you want to hear, and they can't even take basic measurements to determine the problem...Stay away from SA!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
After you re-assemble your bolt (with USGI parts, of course),  flip it over and inspect the drilled-through hole which now contains the extractor shaft.  The bottom of the shaft should be recessed beneath the surface of the bolt by about .010" or so.

Raf, this shouldn't have to be done to a brand new rifle. When you spend this kind of money, it should freaking work. My M1A is at SA right now and I wish I never ever spent the money on it. Current Springfield Armory rifles aren't worth the cardboard they are shipped in. Wanna hear something wonderful about SA?

Well, something like a mis-fit and/or poorly made extractor is one thing; what happened to you is quite another.  Neither should happen.  However, the one is trivial and easily remedied without returning the rifle, the other most cetainly anything but trivial.
If the rifle functions well aside from the trivial extractor glitch, it might be wise to repair it yourself rather than return the rifle to the tender ministrations of the world-class technicians at S.A...  YMMV

I agree with you there. Perhaps I am salty after my personal experience
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had several problems with my SA Rifle, mostly being from the receiver not accepting a GI scope mount, as well as functioning problems.  they finally gave me my money back after 1 batch of replacement parts sent out to me and 2 return trips to SA to fix the problems, which they never did fully.  Their High end stuff is put together by the "match shop" and Dale Rader is the supervisor over there, but they are getting garbage for parts, and putting it on super match rifles.  I saw an M21 with a messed up receiver, didn't even bother looking at the internals.  SA QC is garbage, their CS dept lies to you and tells you what you want to hear, and they can't even take basic measurements to determine the problem...Stay away from SA!!!

I couldn't agree more. I am going to try and get my money back this week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]
from Hunter3

Brand Spanking new Super Match, marine corps stock

What is a marine corps stock??? When I bought my Supermatch it came with the oversized target stock inletted to  accept the rear lugged reciever.

I have owned my rifle since 97 When I got it NIB and have fired Federal match..Hirtenberger.Portuguese.Radway and some Cavim (never do that again) and my weapon has fired and fuctioned Flawlessy. I don't know who is getting the super Match for $1200. I paid $1650 for mine in 97!! and the rack grade Loaded versions are selling for around $1200-1400.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a business sense.   I can see SA selling say, 5000 M1A's, half of which may never be fired, or fired once a year,  then,say another 200 of them are actually fired and have quality issues.  It cheaper to fix/repair those 200 than to ensure complete function with 5000.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's a business sense.   I can see SA selling say, 5000 M1A's, half of which may never be fired, or fired once a year,  then,say another 200 of them are actually fired and have quality issues.  It cheaper to fix/repair those 200 than to ensure complete function with 5000.

That's ridiculous. A return ratio of 200 on 5000 shipped would keep you in business for about three months before a class action lawsuit drove you to the poor house. SA is on their way downhill.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I called SA at 0830 and asked to speak with Dale Rader. I was then transferred to a female in his office named Tracy or Wendy. I explained what happened in a nutshell, she asked if there were any injuries, to which I said no. She then said that they would Fed Ex it back to their shop and look at it. I asked her why Tom Reese was not fingering every one of these that come off the line. I told her that this level of QA was not acceptable, and that the person who signed his name should be counseled. She said in her patronizing way, that she understands and we will fix the problem. So that is where we stand. I will call today, because Fedex never showed up.

Then I will take my nice compassionate consumer hat off and tell them that I am Staff F*&#$ing Sergeant Falcon with Special Operations Command, and that we were seriously considering several of their weapon systems to build a stand off platform to deploy in support of our Sniper teams. AND, if they do not get their nasty brain-housing groups squared the F away, I am personally going to define what the HELL a 200lb pissed off Recon Marine looks like up close. NOT to mention the fact that I will run an internet base dis-information operation targeting THEM.

"were there any injuries" NOT at the present time you Jackasses, but what if the weapon would have malfunctioned in the shit???? When the critical shot or shots needed to be made?????

Falcon OUT
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I called SA at 0830 and asked to speak with Dale Rader. I was then transferred to a female in his office named Tracy or Wendy. I explained what happened in a nutshell, she asked if there were any injuries, to which I said no. She then said that they would Fed Ex it back to their shop and look at it. I asked her why Tom Reese was not fingering every one of these that come off the line. I told her that this level of QA was not acceptable, and that the person who signed his name should be counseled. She said in her patronizing way, that she understands and we will fix the problem. So that is where we stand. I will call today, because Fedex never showed up.

Then I will take my nice compassionate consumer hat off and tell them that I am Staff F*&#$ing Sergeant Falcon with Special Operations Command, and that we were seriously considering several of their weapon systems to build a stand off platform to deploy in support of our Sniper teams. AND, if they do not get their nasty brain-housing groups squared the F away, I am personally going to define what the HELL a 200lb pissed off Recon Marine looks like up close. NOT to mention the fact that I will run an internet base dis-information operation targeting THEM.

"were there any injuries" NOT at the present time you Jackasses, but what if the weapon would have malfunctioned in the shit???? When the critical shot or shots needed to be made?????

Falcon OUT

Amen.

You do that and inform us of the results.  

I'd love to get a SA M1A of some type.  But with all the shoody Q&C there now I guess I will haveto put that .308 money into a AR-10.  

And also, people say I should go ahead and get one "Cause it has a lifetime warranty".  I always reply back that if they built it right in the first place it would not need a lifetime warranty.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#18]
They are a bunch of hacks. I had a "new" springfield garand, it as a POS, wouldn't run worth a shit.
Reciever wound up being out of spec.  stripped all the parts off of it, and built it up on a Winchester reciever and havn't had another problem since.

they will never get another cent of mine.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Falcon OUT

Mine is down there too. I spoke with Tracy too. Being a customer service rep over there must suck. I volunteer for your mission.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Falcon OUT

You know what man?  Just get your gear fixed and leave off all of that extra bullpucky.  I don't know if it's true nor do I even care if it is, it's not relevant and it stinks of intimidation tactics.

If you choose to launch into a tirade over the phone picture this in your head. The person on the other end of the phone will put their hed or handset down on their desk and play solitare on their computer and mutter, I understand or Uh-huh every few seconds while you rant and rave into your end of the phone.  After they've heard silence for a few seconds they will pick their end of the phone up and resume trying to help.  

That's if they don't just tell you "Please call us back when you're ready to be civil" and hangup on you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just don't get that. How can you expect shoddy QC on a $1200 rifle?

$1200!!  

Add $2000 to that price and then you'll be in the ballpark!
-g
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#22]
???  I don't recall making that statement.  Anyhow, on the 200 of 5000 QC issues, it's actaully probaly more like 500 out of 150,000 technically.   Funny how the big 3 were pumping out crap cars in the 80's, and nothing came of it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:05:30 AM EDT
[#23]

You know what man? Just get your gear fixed and leave off all of that extra bullpucky. I don't know if it's true nor do I even care if it is, it's not relevant and it stinks of intimidation tactics.

Who said I was going to do it over the phone????

Phil, you sound like a Kerry supporter.....Welll....Come on pacifist????
Tell the board.....
hainsawkill.gif
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You know what man? Just get your gear fixed and leave off all of that extra bullpucky. I don't know if it's true nor do I even care if it is, it's not relevant and it stinks of intimidation tactics.

Who said I was going to do it over the phone????

Phil, you sound like a Kerry supporter.....Welll....Come on pacifist????
Tell the board.....

Yeah whatever, as I said stick to getting your problem fixed and keep the soap opera drama BS to yourself.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#27]
pre-emtory lock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top