Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2003 11:17:48 AM EDT
I have an SA58 that I bought about a year ago from a dealer at a gunshow. It was built by Arizona Response on a DSArms receiver. Its an excellent rifle and its one of my favorites.

It has a full auto lower receiver with the markings (S) for safe (E) for semi and (D) for full auto. The serial numbers on the lower receiver, barrel and bolt all match. The serial number on the upper receiver is different.

When you put the selector switch on (D) it will fire once but when you pull the trigger again it will not do anything. It has to be cocked again. I know this happens because it doesn't have a full auto ejector block and full auto disconnector.

I'm assuming since the serial numbers on the bolt match the numbers on the lower, it must be a full auto bolt.

Now my questions are-

1.Whats to stop someone from putting a full auto ejector block and disconnector in the upper receiver to convert it to full auto? Tapco sells them for $6.99(besides the fact of going to prison for the next 10 years and a $10,000 fine)

2.What country made the SA58? I'm curious why the markings on the selector are S E and D.

Can anyone out there enlighten me?

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Now my answers are-

1.A bunch of machining operations that are non-trivial. It's much harder to put the full auto sear cut into a receiver than drilling a hole in an AR reciever.

2. You don't have an SA58. The SA58 is made by DSArms from new (mostly) US made components and uses a selector that won't go past semi. You have an Austrian STG-58 parts kit assembled into a DSA reciever (the best BTW). I hope it has the correct number of US parts to comply with 922(r). If it was really done by ARS then no problem. He really is one of the best. The markings are S, E & D because they speak German.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Slowworm is correct.  Just because you have a FA ejector block and safety sear, doesn't mean you can install them into a semi-auto receiver.  In order to fuction, you would have a fair amount of very detailed milling for the "sear cut."  It just wont install without it which is why it is legal to buy the safety sear and ejector block.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The rifle you have SA58 is DSA's trade name for
their parts rifle, using all new or excellent
parts.
The STG-58 is the Austrian FAL.
Sturmgewer (storm gun or assault rifle) adopted for service in 1958.

The recievers made today (Imbel, Enterprise,
and DSA have SEMI-AUTO ejector blocks in them.
They do not have the clearance cut in them for the auto sear (correctly called saftey sear).

There is no difference in the bolt.

Get a copy of THE FAL RIFLE from Collector Grade
Publications, expensive but worth it.
It will tell all you ever wanted to know about the FAL.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
parts.

No it's not. The SA58 is an all new gun with made in USA proudly stamped on the side. Ask me how I know hinking
Check the website www.dsarms.com for more details.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
parts.

No it's not. The SA58 is an all new gun with made in USA proudly stamped on the side. Ask me how I know .

You are thinking of the STG58A is their parts gun build from very good condition surplused and demilled Austrian STG-58 rifles.

Check the website www.dsarms.com for more details.

You are correct, my mistake.
I am not that up on DSAs products as
I do not buy from DSA, I have had bad experiences with
them that they refused to correct.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys thanks alot for all the great info. I really do need to get a few good books on this interesting rifle. I admit, I'm bad about buying guns and never getting enough books to really learn about em. Thanks again guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top