Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2010 7:54:28 PM EDT
I have some Bulgarian AK74 wood that I need to refinish, I'd like to attempt to replicate the glossy "Russian Red" look. How would one go about doing this and what is the best method, Rit Dye or something else? Thanks in advance, I'm pretty new to wood refinishing so I'm just not sure where to start.

Here are some photos I've lifted from various picture threads to show what I aiming for.

Link Posted: 11/1/2010 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The Russians use a shellac on their stocks, and from what I gathered Dewaxed ruby red shellac flakes is the closest thing to the original Russian red color your looking for.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for a few more opinions.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If the red shellac doesn't do it, you can get aniline dyes from a woodworking store (not a stain, it's a dye, I think alcohol-based). It's often used by luthiers to get those bright colors on electric guitars, allowing the grain to show through in detail. They can be layered, too, like for the sunburst finishes.
Seems to me there was a thread in the Music & Musicians area of this site maybe a year ago that detailed using it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Alaskacajun did this one with food coloring

While it is not the most authentic it does come close to what you are looking for. You could also go a lil darker if you follow the red dying with a light scarlet or wine color rit dye to get closer to the color of those two pics since Alaskacajun's seems a bit more of a brighter red.

Here is the "how-to" link
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=78&t=116630&page=1

If this is your first time I would test on some scraps of wood first
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Here is the "how-to" link
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=78&t=116630&page=1

If this is your first time I would test on some scraps of wood first

That thread has been archived, and my membership expired
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.hbehlen.com/Behlen_Color_Chart.pdf

Medium Red Mahogany

Tung Oil.

Lots of steel wool and patience.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Here are some photos I've lifted from various picture threads to show what I aiming for.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j252/25chuck/Weapons/DSC00166.jpg

Bump for info. I've read about the use of isopropyl alcohol (90% or higher) with RIT Dye mixed put ontop of a base stain will achieve the colors. I'm building a Khyber Pass AK47 just like the one above and I'm shooting for the same exact color as the one above.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Try here

Russian Red Info
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
What a GREAT looking color!
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Russians use a shellac on their stocks, and from what I gathered Dewaxed ruby red shellac flakes is the closest thing to the original Russian red color your looking for.

+1 I have a fair amount of actual Russian wood, and the only way that I've been able to match it is with shellac. You can add some of the shellac "dies" to fine tune the color...but nothing else is really going to come close to using shellac. I think I used a 3# cut, but it's been awhile. I have my notes for exactly what I used to get a good match if you would like. Shellacing takes a bit of practice, but the good news is that if you want a true Soviet finish then it's not hard. The finish was not exactly show quality if you know what I mean....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top