Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/12/2003 1:04:20 PM EDT
I recently picked up an M44 from a local gun store for $70. I have already had to have the chamber re-done as is was grabbing the shells and wouldn't let go. Does anyone else have experience with these rifles? When I load 5 rounds sometimes they all nose dive in the magazine and I have to open the mag bottom just a little then close it and they will feed fine, anyone know what the problem is? Also I would like to find another stock for it, I don't care how beat up (unless in pieces), just want one to tinker with.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:17:16 PM EDT
Hello, and congratulations. I have owned a M44 Mosin and currently own a M38 Mosin. The M38 doesn't have fixed bayonet. Here is a some links to help you out www.mosin-nagant.net/
www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=1 They will have the answers you seek. If your shooting Wolf Ammunition there laquer green cases stick alot. Try Albanian or other brass cased ammo to help. It sounds like your follower is not correctly elevating rounds. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:39:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2003 1:45:00 PM EDT by 7_62_54]
Thanks for the links, I will be sure to check them out. I am using Wolf ammo, I was chewed out by the gunsmith who worked the chamber for using it, but it is not the green laquer casings, they are regular brass. I have not see any other brand of this ammo and since there is only one little shop that sells it locally I don't have much of a choice.

I have also been considering getting the M38, but have yet to save enough!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:25:31 PM EDT
The gunsmith is an idiot if he thinks the Wolf ammo was causing the problems with your rifle.

Try the czech silver tip, or the Hungarian yellow tip. Many prefer the silver tip for accuracy. The Albanian is hit or miss. Some swear by it, the rest are ready to by a plane ticket to Albania an kick someones butt.

You can find it for great prices here:

www.ammunitionstore.com

www.aimsurplus.com

There is always a choice.

The are both steel cased rounds. Some of these rifles in this caliber, if they have a worn chamber, can have brass cases swell up leading to extraction problems. I once had some chinese ammo that I had to use a rubbler mallot on the bolt each time to open it.

The load problems sound like a bad mag spring.
You might be able to find a new stock at AIM Surplus, but if not, try Gun Parts Corp. They have almost everything. They would have all the new magazine parts you might need as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:41:37 PM EDT
Warning: Mosin's are like AR's, Garands and Ruffles, you can't have just one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:06:19 AM EDT
I have used the Czech and the Hungarian both work very well, never had a problem. I did know someone had rounds that were surplus no color marking on tips, copper wash cases, in wedge shaped packs about 1 in 10 would not fire.
Top Top