Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2004 6:20:23 PM EDT
I called Ruger sales department to ask them when they were going to start making folding stock Ruger Mini 14 and Mini 30 rifles again, they said they were not going to make any folding stock rifles again.

Ten years ago, just a few weeks before the ban became law, I went to buy a Ruger Mini 14, as many then, thinking it might not be made again. My local dealer told me then that Ruger had stopped shipping Mini 14 rifles that would be for sale to civilians. Many found out and told Ruger we would not buy their products again, they of course denied it then. At that time, Bill Ruger was public that 10 round magazines were the biggest anyone should be allowed to buy and he wanted Chinese SKS and AK rifles stopped from sale here because he thought they competed unfairly against his Mini 14 and Mini 30 rifles. As if every SKS buyer would have bought a Ruger for 4 X as much.  Ruger is the most anti-gun manufacturer in the country. I will never buy a Ruger product again !  Ruger is screwing us again !
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fuck Ruger.

Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The wierd thing is that Ruger doesn't have any .gov contract base like Colt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
You can always tell a retard buy the ruger plate on the front of his truck.

This means You!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They couldnt get the P85 done in time for the last handgun recompete, (the one where Beretta won).

P85 is strong as hell, but also ugly as hell.  

Every Ruger weapon I've seen has at least one simple flaw in it:

P85/89 family : Bad mag release
10/22: Bad mag release
Mini14: Bad mag release, barrel whip
Mark2: Bad mag release, a nightmare to field strip and reassemble.

anyone else want to chime in here??
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruger didn't want a 10 round mag limit.  He wanted a 15 round mag limit so the edge Glock had over his 9MM would go away.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a 10/22 thats it.

Probaly will be the only Ruger I ever own.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a Ruger owner.  When I was looking for my first handgun, they were recommended, but I refused on principle.  Bought a 1911 instead, couldn't be happier.

Hell, if I buy a 10/22, it'll at least be a USED 10/22 so my money ain't going directly to Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They couldnt get the P85 done in time for the last handgun recompete, (the one where Beretta won).

P85 is strong as hell, but also ugly as hell.  

Every Ruger weapon I've seen has at least one simple flaw in it:

P85/89 family : Bad mag release

I haven't had any problem with my Mini-14 Ranch so far.

I have buddy who has a P85-1, and when he pulls the trigger in DA-mode a certain way it won't release the hammer at the top of the stoke! Oh my, that is serious. The P85-2 has corrected that problem.

But remember all of the USA gun makers screwed with the retail public at some point in time.

The federal definition of a Sat. Nite Spl was put there at the behest of then S&W when they were owned by Bungor PUnta, to get an edge over the imported companies, such as Beretta, Taruas, etc. Those folks are not bonevalent.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I own a 10/22 thats it.

Probaly will be the only Ruger I ever own.

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess I'll be the whipping boy.

If Ruger doesn't want to sell rifles with folding stocks that's their choice and you don't have to buy them.  Remington doesn't sell their rifles with folding stocks, nor does Winchester, Browning or most other manufacturers. Nor do any of them sell hi-cap mags for their rifles either.

I think if most of us were in the firearms business and our market was flooded with cheap chinese commy made guns, and those guns gave the firearms industry a bad reputation in the press, we would probably  do what we could to stop them. That is not anti-gun, but anti-cheap competition and good business.

Fire away.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#13]

That is not anti-gun, but anti-cheap competition and good business.

I'm not to sure that is good business.  In an industry that is becoming more regulated by the passing day, pushing away base customers is a BAD idea.  While having to compete with imports, the firearm industry is not the ONLY industry having to do this.  I work in plastics and China, Korea, and Mexico are all now big players in the plastics industry.  Our business has to change to stay competitive or die in this new economy.  Same thing for Ruger.  If they don't build what customers want, who are they going to sell to?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I won't send a cent to Ruger or Colt...

I almost feel bad about Colt tho... they did so much for the sport, too bad they had to ruin it by... well, not supporting the sport.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you ask them if they were going to continue manufacturing high cap mags for their pistols and make some twenty or thirty rounders for the Mini?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, the only thing I can say is this.

I hope Ruger goes into bankruptcy and goes up for sale, I missed out on Smith and Wesson when it sold for 15 million, I would like to try and put an investment group together and buy it.

The thing is, Ruger now probably makes more from its casting business than its firearms side.

Who knows? Maybe Colt will lose its .gov contract and go up for sale.

After all a boy can dream, right?

96Ag
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#17]
[Samuel Jackson] HELL YES I'M GLAD HE'S DEAD, AND I HOPE HE BURNS IN HELL! [Samuel Jackson]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#18]
More like make some more.

I just bought four POST ban LEO only Ruger factory mags for my Mini-14.  I pre-ordered them before the ban expired.  Now they are sold out and the mags are on backorder waiting for Ruger to resupply them.

I really don't KNOW how this will turn out but I'm glad I got mine while the getting was good.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Did you ask them if they were going to continue manufacturing high cap mags for their pistols and make some twenty or thirty rounders for the Mini?

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#19]
When the old, big manufacturers become unresponsive to their customers, then they are "dinosaurs", and leave alot of room for new upcoming manufacturers to take their places. Eventually Ruger and the other companies who don't follow customer needs and desires will all fall by the wayside. Newer companies, eager for the market share will fill the gap.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If Ruger doesn't want to sell rifles with folding stocks that's their choice and you don't have to buy them.  Remington doesn't sell their rifles with folding stocks, nor does Winchester, Browning or most other manufacturers. Nor do any of them sell hi-cap mags for their rifles either.

I think if most of us were in the firearms business and our market was flooded with cheap chinese commy made guns, and those guns gave the firearms industry a bad reputation in the press, we would probably  do what we could to stop them. That is not anti-gun, but anti-cheap competition and good business.

Fire away.

Was in a local gunshop yesterday and two Remington Police...marked as such... 870 with standard stocks and two HDs with factory folders and 7-shot factiory extensions came in while I was there...no LE only or other BS...they will be for sale to whoever wants to pay for them. (and yes, I saw them when they were unboxed)

Ruger, however, sucks for what they have been willing to do to the consumer. I have two...a 10-22 and a lightweight in .308...I will not have any more...and the lightweight would go if it had not accompanied me to Africa.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Ruger is the largest  firearm manufacturter in the country. I don't think a few guys not  buying their guns  because they can't  buy factory 20 rnd mags for their Mini 14 makes a hell of a lot of difference.  

In fact wishing they would go out of business is just plain moronic.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If Ruger doesn't want to sell rifles with folding stocks that's their choice and you don't have to buy them.  

Absolutely right. Vote with your wallet.  I actually own a P89, a 10/22 and a Mini, and I like them, to a degree.  I just get disgusted with their habit of stopping short of making it "perfect"

And I'd agree about only buying a 10/22 used, but I've never seen one for sale used. Most people never sell 'em.  Wait, I did see one once, but it was for the same price as a new one....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I know this is a Ruger bashing thread and I am glad to be a part of it because Ruger sucks.

But can anyone explain why it is any less acceptable for Ruger to not produce the features we want for civvys (flash suppresors, folding stock, 30 round mags) than it is for Colt?

I say fuck 'em both, governtment contract or no.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Yup.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Let's toss H&K into the "we hate civvy sales" dept. too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I know this is a Ruger bashing thread and I am glad to be a part of it because Ruger sucks.

But can anyone explain why it is any less acceptable for Ruger to not produce the features we want for civvys (flash suppresors, folding stock, 30 round mags) than it is for Colt?

Probably because Ruger advocated banning magazines with capacities greater than 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

IMO, the market for the bells and whistles (folding stocks and flash hiders) that you guys like is fairly limited. I also think the Ruger probably looked at this market as saw that many, many other firearms fill this market better than their Mini 14 can and since they have gotten lots of bad publicity/lawsuits they have chosen from a business standpoint not to offer them.  They may also feel that the aftermarket is substantial enough for their Mini and 10/22 that they do not need to go there.

Those business decisions also kept them off most of the AWB lists. Seems like a shitty sellout to us, but it kept them selling Mini 14s while some other guns were banned.

We are only really talking about the Mini 14 here. They never offered hi-caps or folding stocks for the Mini 30 or the 10/22.  P series pistol mags have continued to be available and my understanding is that they will produce regular pistol cap mags for the general public.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#29]
The Mini 30 I bought (no cookie for ME) had an interesting flaw.  On the first trip to the range I loaded the weenie little magazine, loaded the rifle, and then squeezed the trigger.  The rifle went into burst mode and emptied itself.   Some heads were turned on that range!  

Hmm.  The trigger guard that keeps the trigger assembly in had popped out and was not engaged, which let the trigger assembly fall out slightly.  I thought it was just a first time glitch, so I snapped the guard back in and tried two rounds out of the rifle.  bangbang.  Same deal.

I put the rifle back in the case and packed up to go home.  I called Ruger and explained the problem.  They were courteous, even though they IMMEDIATELY had me talking to the legal department.  I told them to calm down and that no one was hurt.  The rounds went safely into the backstop, yadda yadda.  I just wanted the rifle fixed.  It came back eventually, and when I got it back it sat in the gun safe.  For about two years.  I sold it last year for a hearty loss.  

Seven rounds!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I've owned a Ruger P94 .40 cal. for about 5 or 6 years. No malfunction of any kind ever. That's incredible for a hand gun, that's AK like reliablility. Everytime I take it out I think "today will be the day it finally jams" but it never does. Their handguns are priced right and flat out work. I also own a 10/22 and a Ruger Model 96 .22 magnum. I had a Mini30 but I sold it. I must be the weirdo here, but I like Ruger guns.

That doesn't have anything to do with what Bill thinks, thought or not. Who really cares what stocks or magazines Ruger makes? The aftermarket already has that stuff taken care of. Now if Ruger modified their guns so that you couldn't use high cap mags or different stocks I'd be the first in line to boycott them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#33]
The only ruger I own is a 10/22, and the only left on it that is ruger is the reciever.....

I am looking at a 10/17, but may buy a reciver from a differant maker and build my own from there......

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Why anyone would want to buy a Ruger factory-made folding stock, when there are (or will be, shortly) any number of superior aftermarket folders is beyond me.
Maybe Ruger figures it is uneconomical to re-introduce their own, inferior stock in the face of superior aftermarket competition.  Who knows?

As for the general Ruger-bashing, it happenes on a cyclical basis.

One part is complaining about their products.  That's fair enough, assuming the complainers have exhausted their warranty rights.  In most of the threads I see complaining about Ruger products. seldom is mention made of sending the offending item off to be repaired by the factory.  Most times, it seems like someone bought some other guy's problem and had neither the time, interest, nor money to have the thing fixed properly.

The other, standard Ruger Bash is about what Bill Ruger Sr., a dead man, BTW, is alleged to have done in the past.  Henry Ford Sr. was a nororious anti-semite and received Nazi Germany's highest civilian award.  Anybody going to give up/boycott their Fords?
Most people whining about Ruger's alleged actions don't know the whole story or the long aftermath.  Suffice it to say that Ruger was no saint, neither was he a devil that many uninformed people assume him to be.  Looking at the record fully and objectively, I'm personally satisfied that Ruger made mistakes, realized it, and spent a long time and a lot of money trying to atone for his errors.

So, while you are boycotting Ruger products, look carefully at the sub-contractors/suppliers for your firearm of choice.  Ruger makes parts and sub-assemblies for a great many foreign and domestic firearms.  There is an excellent chance that your modern gun has Ruger-made parts in it.

Well said.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Nothing wrong with the Ruger folding mechanism, but it was screwed to WOOD, and Ruger has crappy wood stocks.

Choate and Butler Creek make FAR superior folders.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm bashing their design, not the functionality as much.

My P89 works like a champ, never jams, will probably last forever.

What I hate is the mag release on it.

As for the folding stocks, I've yet to find one aftermarket folding stock that doesn't look like cheap crap.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I have no real "need" to buy a new Ruger, and their policies make the process of elimination even easier when I decide to buy a new gun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I love some of Ruger's designs. I have several of their guns, all of which are accurate, rock solid and completely reliable. It's hard for me to hate the company, but I hate one small aspect of it which is non-support of evil features. My 77/22 and P89 are great guns, some of my favorite to shoot.

Really tho, when I think about it, there are a myriad of other good companies to get my evil guns from, so it's not that big of an issue, now that Bill Sr. is pushing daisies.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You can always tell a retard buy the ruger plate on the front of his truck.

This means You!

Buy?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Ruger is the largest  firearm manufacturter in the country. I don't think a few guys not  buying their guns  because they can't  buy factory 20 rnd mags for their Mini 14 makes a hell of a lot of difference.  

In fact wishing they would go out of business is just plain moronic.

Now that's a little more rational.

Nothings perfect but Ruger has been real successful. They do a lot of things right and if I had to get all my guns from one manufacturer, it would be Ruger.

I would rather not be in that position, but that would be my choice. The only thing they don't have is a magazine-fed shotgun.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I own two Rugers, I never knew this about them. Ruger sucks dick, I say fuck'em. And to think I was looking at a mini-14 tonight at wally-world!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Ruger will continue making 20rd mini 14 mags despite what the public relations Ruger people tell you.If you dont belive me all you have to do is call Ruger ask for your states law enforcement Ruger dealer and then call the dealer.Although most are sold out right now some still have factory 20rd leo for sale at $40 each.And the suppliers all will tell you Ruger will continue making the mags.Its simple public relations fell good BS.
Anyways the mini 14 is still more reliable than the Ar just not as accurate.If you dont belive me just try to shoot a Ar with a little mud,water or sand on the gun and watch the thing hang up.Where as the mini will function no matter what you just dont know  where in the hell the bullet will end up.
Anyways dont sit around bitchin and complaing simply go out and buy a Ar and A MINI BEFOR SOME USELESS SOB LIKE JOHN KERRY TAKES OVER AND OUTLAWS EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Over the last two months I sold all my Rugers......Mini 30 SS Ranch, Mini 14 SS Ranch, P85 and  a MKII SS Competition Target.  Sorry Bill, your products just don't do it for me anymore.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Apparently RUGER is playing the "responsible gun manuf. CARD".    They are buying into the whole,  image is everthing bullsh!t because frivilous litigation pays . The company had potential but they don't want to dirty up their image with combatic looking type weapons . In essence they are comfortable with their share of the market ....Please chime in    
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh....I forgot to mention.  I took a beating on all the Rugers I ever sold.  You pay a premium for some of their stuff and you take a beating when you sell it?  That should have been my wake up call a long time ago.  I never lost money on a Colt or Smith I sold.  Go figure......
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#47]
FUCK EM
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#48]
What amazes me is for Rugers marketing department , they could have sold thousands more mini 14 IF it accepted standard m-16 mags.  The mini 30 would have been a huge success if it accepted standard ak mags.   how could they not see this.

By the way i have heard that ruger castings is a huge maker of golf club heads, as well as many gun parts for other manufacturers.   I wonder if they cast an AR-15 receiver for any company?

Thinking about it , would an adapter for the mini 14 to accept ar mags sell well?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#49]
They are rumored to make several different cast lowers.

A GI ar15 mag won't fit though a Mini-14 stock liner without interference.  It would be quite an adapter.<G>

I just bought some factory LEO only 20's.  AR mags are not a priority.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
What amazes me is for Rugers marketing department , they could have sold thousands more mini 14 IF it accepted standard m-16 mags.  The mini 30 would have been a huge success if it accepted standard ak mags.   how could they not see this.

By the way i have heard that ruger castings is a huge maker of golf club heads, as well as many gun parts for other manufacturers.   I wonder if they cast an AR-15 receiver for any company?

Thinking about it , would an adapter for the mini 14 to accept ar mags sell well?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Apparently RUGER is playing the "responsible gun manuf. CARD".    They are buying into the whole,  image is everthing bullsh!t because frivilous litigation pays . The company had potential but they don't want to dirty up their image with combatic looking type weapons . In essence they are comfortable with their share of the market ....Please chime in    

You are correct, so what's your point?

The goal of business is to make money and you can only do that by staying in business. They have a  very successful business and apparently know how to make money. The fact that they market to the sporting firearms trade and law enforcement is good business for them. That makes them neither good nor bad.

I don't hear people ragging on Remington or Browning because they don't make 20 round mags for there semi auto rifes. Or because those rifles weren't made to  hold a M14 or FN FAL mag. I don't hear people bitching about Winchester for not making an assault rifle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top