Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2005 8:45:20 PM EDT
I found a Ruger .44 carbine for sale in a local shop.  Actually they had 2, a new one (clip fed, garand style action) and an old one (tube fed, 10/22 style action).

I am thinking that one of these would make a perfect companion to my Super Blackhawk.  I am sortof leaning toward the old style because I don't have to worry about magazines, but the newer style has built in scope mounts.  

So what do you think about either of these guns?  Pro's, Con's and amatures are all welcome..
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one of the old ones back in the day.

How much are you planning to shoot this rifle?  Ruger is bad about restricting parts and I would question just what the parts situation is on an out of production rifle.

There's NO parts available for the first Mini-14's.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I found a Ruger .44 carbine for sale in a local shop.  Actually they had 2, a new one (clip fed, garand style action) and an old one (tube fed, 10/22 style action).

I am thinking that one of these would make a perfect companion to my Super Blackhawk.  I am sortof leaning toward the old style because I don't have to worry about magazines, but the newer style has built in scope mounts.  

So what do you think about either of these guns?  Pro's, Con's and amatures are all welcome..

Link Posted: 3/6/2005 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the new one , but the your forever stuck with
four round mags if Ruger has a say
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're gonna buy one, buy the magazine fed model. Being new, I'd imagine parts are a little bit easier to find.

I'm waiting for someone to start making 20rnd mags for the new model, then I'll probably pick one up myself
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#4]
That`ll be fun to bump fire with 20-30rd mags!
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
My dad had 2 of the tubular models.  They were both nice, a little heavy, but very handy.

No experience with the mag models, but the tubular model was easy to load, just like an 870.  IIRC to unload the rounds out of the tube you had to depress a button, push the loading gate and they would come out of the loading area in front of the trigger guard.

I guess a plus would be no mags to buy, but a minus would be a longer reload time.

I would go with the tubular model but I am a bit biased.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I would pick the new model, especially if ya plan to hunt with it. I hate loading and unloading tube fed guns every day. Numrich has limited parts avalible for the old tube fed .44's.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#7]
What if anything do you know about accuracy/reliability of these guns?
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got both types.

Use only jacketed bullets in both unless you like FTEs due to lead shavings.

There are zero parts available to support the old style. Old style tube magazine can be topped off between shots, the new style cannot. Old style requires disassembly to clean power residue off the piston. Old style supports various scope mounts/rings.

I hate Ruger rings on the new style, but the mechanism is slick and easier to clean.

Both are very reliable and shoot 3 inch groups at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally I have shot both and I would steer you toward a M1 Carbine...

Mag capacity on .44 rifles suck....

LB
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the old style.  No experience with the new.  This is a really good short range brush gun for deer.  My uncle has taken many nice bucks in the laurel thickets of Western NC with one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The old style is the only 1 I have shot. Out to 50 yrds it seems ok.  Its a brush gun , so how far ya gonna shoot it?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the new ones are slick.  The mag is small but if you need more than five shots you need an AR.  With a mag you can unload with less hastle and not have loose shells clanking around.  If they made a 10 or 15 rounder it would be the cat's ass.

Or.......................
Get both!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#14]
You do not need a scope for the 44 carbine.  It has a trajectory like a rainbow.  it is a very good 100 yrd brush gun.

it makes me cry for how much they want for the old style.  I see they selling for 450 and up depending on the shape that it is in.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#15]
the old style will not run with heavy bullets. the new mini type will not run with bullets over 270 grain. you can get a marlin or winchester 1894 that will use any 44 mag or spec for much less.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#16]
To mate up with a single-action revolver? Get a .44 lever gun!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I still have an old Deerfield model. That rifle has put a bunch of venison on the dinner plate.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
The only Ruger I own is a 10/22. I dont like the fact that they dont want to make mags over 10 rds.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I owned the new style, and foolishly got rid of it. Now that I'm in Alabama, where it could be of use, I need to find another. It was a nice, handy little gun. Like an M1 Carbine with more ass.

Oh Yeah, +1 on the mags, it would be cool to have even a ten rounder.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the new model is nice, thats the one I would buy, you could always carry a couple extra loaded 5 rd mags,  it was designed as a hunting rifle to carry with your .44 magnum revolver.

It would be nice to have 10 rd mags for it so you could use it for home defense
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I owned the new style, and foolishly got rid of it. Now that I'm in Alabama, where it could be of use, I need to find another. It was a nice, handy little gun. Like an M1 Carbine with more ass.

Oh Yeah, +1 on the mags, it would be cool to have even a ten rounder.

I heard [but never found] somewhere there was a company converting M1 carbines to shoot .44mag, using modified Carbine mags.  I guess that's essentially wha tthe new model is, except for the mags...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top