Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/20/2002 3:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2002 4:00:03 PM EDT by ShamusMcOI]
Need opinions on the Ruger mark II and the Browning buck mark. The ones I'm looking at are both similiarly priced. So which one would you consider a better shooter?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:57:13 PM EDT
Have no experience with the Ruger. I have a Brwowning Buck Mark (Not Buck Master) and it's a real shooter. Accurate as the two .22 rifles I own.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:58:45 PM EDT
Both weapons are of pretty much equal quality, and in the end it'll come down to "which one do you like better?"

For political reasons, I chose the Buckmark--I was unwilling to give any money to Bill "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds" Ruger.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:59:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gamesniper:
Have no experience with the Ruger. I have a Brwowning Buck Mark (Not Buck Master) and it's a real shooter. Accurate as the two .22 rifles I own.

Thanks for the correction! Edited to reflect correction (what was I thinking?).
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:05:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:06:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:12:06 PM EDT
I have a .22/.45 with a 5.5 inch bull barrel and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. It is very accurate, mags are cheap, and it fits my hand well. I did think hard about Arrogant Bill and our present mag dilemma before buying, but Browning mags cost more and I don't hink it is all American made anymore, but I could be wrong. Also take down is easier with the Ruger.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:14:04 PM EDT
I'm not a big fan of the Ruger; for one reason. The grip is too thin for me -- I'm used to, and prefer, a thicker grip like a 1911. Not a huge fan of the Browning either, but that's just because I've only shot it once. Between the two, I'd pick the Browning.

FOTBR
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:28:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ShamusMcOI:
Need opinions on the Ruger mark II and the Browning buck mark. The ones I'm looking at are both similiarly priced. So which one would you consider a better shooter?

I've never owned or shot with the Browning, however, the Ruger MK-II line is a nice, time proven and inexpensive .22. I'm particlary fond of the KMK-678GC (Slabeside) model. the nice thing about the Ruger is that there are more aftermarket options/add-ons/parts available.

Another consideration; The last issue of "American Rifleman" had an article on the Beretta U-22 Neos. Pricewise it can compete with the Ruger and Browning. It might not have the same track record as the Ruger or Browning, but with the Beretta name behind it it should be a quality piece. My only complaint is the published trigger pull... something like 7 lbs?
But, that's what whetstones are for.

The prototype carbine version looks like something out of Star Wars or James Bond.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:48:45 PM EDT
I have a 22/45 and the trigger is pretty nice. One thig to consider with the Ruger is the reassembly process. Mine has been sitting in the safe dirty for 6 months because I am afraid to take it apart again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:53:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:28:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:37:39 PM EDT
Check out the Smith and Wesson model 22a.
In my opinion a better pistol than the Ruger.
Never shot a Browning.22 so can't comment on it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:39:42 PM EDT
The Rugers can be quite accurate and they are a simple, solid design. The factory trigger is mushy and some people (including me) don't like the grip. As above, there are many aftermarket parts available and upgrading isn't that expensive. I added a match hammer and sear and had an overtravel stop installed on my trigger. I had a base mounted for a red dot and installed a Volquartzen target grip. I have about $500 in this gun overall and it shoots as good as the Hammerli's.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:21:35 PM EDT
The Browning Buck Mark is a fine little .22. I have the original (got it back in 85. It is a great all around plinker, very accurate. I also have the target 5.5. That one has great hand grips and is far more beautiful than pretty much anything else in its price range. It also has great adjustements on the trigger pull and stop. It is a fantastic "out of the box" target pistol. Well I like it anyway.

The Rugers are fantastic pistols as well. A nice variety of add-ons and models. They are also built great.

It's a tough choice. You just need to play with them and decide which you like best. I'm glad I got the Brownings but would take one of the Rugers in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2002 7:35:34 PM EDT by BusMaster007]

I swiped the url from the 'reply with quote' to see if it would work...
I'll have to learn how to get the thing down.
Anyway, that will have to be one of the MustHave GettaBeretta items!
What a cool lookin' gun.

I got the Ruger MkII Government model and put a Leupold 2x20 scope on it. Hogue grip and Millett rings on a ? base (I can't remember which one of the two I used...sorry).
It's a fun pistol.
Run some of the Aguila high-zoot ammo through it for some whiz-bang fun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:33:39 PM EDT
i think thge rugers are good, and their will probly never be a better .22 pistol, but i think browning came as close as anyone with teh buckmark. i would get the browning, cause ruger=satan
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:50:50 PM EDT
I own an early Browning Buckmark, my only Gripe is with the sights, too wide for precision shooting. I consider it a fine little camp gun.

I have no experience with the Ruger, but it should be a solid little gun. Every ruger I own gets the job done. Sorry Fellas I Won't jump on the "HATE BILL RUGER BAND WAGON".
They make fine firearms.

My favorite .22 pistol is the High Standard Victor Model. Excellent target/ squirrel busting pistol. The Original High Standard is now Defunct,( Correct me if I am wrong)
I believe Mitchel arms makes a copy of this great pistol. Haven't heard any reports on how the Mitchel copy shoots. Last time I checked, The original High Standard Victors can be had for around 5 bills if you can find one, Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:32:45 PM EDT
i like my ruger 22/45.
but you must follow the directions when you reassemble.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:43:40 PM EDT
I have owned both and they are both fine weapons. The only bitch I have about the Ruger is the front sight blade always got hung up in my nylon holster, tearing it up and getting stuck so I couldn't draw it easily. No problem like that with my Browning Buckmark. The Buckmark is also a little more comfortable in my hand. Just a better feel, balance. I like the Buckmark.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:45:26 PM EDT
JasonF:
Beretta U-22 Neos.

oh, man...
i need this gun!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:27:07 PM EDT
My Buckmark consistantly outshoots Rugers when fired by the Ruger's owners. The Buckmark balances better, cleans easier & is worth more on resale.

Hands down, no choice, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:32:16 AM EDT

My favorite .22 pistol is the High Standard Victor Model. Excellent target/ squirrel busting pistol. The Original High Standard is now Defunct,( Correct me if I am wrong)
I believe Mitchel arms makes a copy of this great pistol. Haven't heard any reports on how the Mitchel copy shoots. Last time I checked, The original High Standard Victors can be had for around 5 bills if you can find one, Worth every penny.

High Standard lives: www.highstandard.com/

This is the new "High Standard of Houston" (as opposed to the old company in Connecticut). They make some nice pistols, but they aren't in the same price range as a MkII or a Buckmark.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:13:48 AM EDT

My Buckmark consistantly outshoots Rugers when fired by the Ruger's owners.

Put 'em in a Ransom rest.

The Buckmark balances better, cleans easier & is worth more on resale.

Strictly an opinion, Bob.

I used to get the IHMSA newsletter. In the rimfire competitions, the winners were equally split amongst Brownings and Rugers with an occasional T/C Contender or S&W 17/617. I never saw anyone compete with either a High Standard (in silhouette) or S&W automatic.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:19:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zak:
Both weapons are of pretty much equal quality, and in the end it'll come down to "which one do you like better?"

For political reasons, I chose the Buckmark--I was unwilling to give any money to Bill "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds" Ruger.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Nothing wrong with the Mark II except for the maker.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2002 5:44:12 AM EDT by garandman]
Here's what I want.....

Costs about TWICE what the Ruger or Browning costs, but feels SO GOOD in my hand.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:44:25 AM EDT
I have had a Browning Buckmark (standard model) for over 9 years. It is extremely accurate and the Browning blue finish is awsome. However, it is extremely prone to rust and corrosion. Also I have experience with the Ruger- my father in laws and it is a very very early model. It also was nice. I believe that you will be able to find more options with the Ruger (e.g. scope mounts, cheaper and easier to find magazines, different finishes). I don't think that either is a bad choice and both have been around forever. As far as the Beretta .22 is concerned I have never even seen one, but I am always leery of first year anything, and while I have never experienced this out of necessity I have heard that Beretta has questionable customer service.

h.gif
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:17:08 AM EDT
I love the Rugers!! I've got two of the MK IIs with the 5 1/2 bull barrels and adjustable sights. One is stainless and one is blue. They are great little pistols. I'de love to set one up with a red dot scope, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I picked one of them from a guy local to me who had an auction on Ebay for 5 magazines for a MK II pistol. His auction mentioned he was selling the mags because the pistol was so inaccurate. I emailed him about it and he told me the pistol was like new, but shot WAY to the left even after the sights were adjusted all the way to the right. I asked if he were interested in selling the pistol and got it for $75. It turns out the pistol did shoot to the left big time. Ruger replaced the top end and paid for all my expenses related to getting the pistol to them and re-registering the new pistol (top ends on the MKII are the serial # part). Now I have a practically new MKII for $75. All in all a great buy.....even at the regular store price.

The Ruger 10/22 and the MKII are like the 1911 in that there are a lot of people making all kinds of accessories for them....if you're into them. They are relatively cheap and tons of fun to shoot. You can't go wrong with those two products by Ruger.

As far as Bill Rugers stance on magazine capacity.....don't let the anti-gunners trick you into helping them shut down the doors of a gun manufacturor. Yeah I think he's wrong and so was S&W, but I still don't want to see them go out of business.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:17:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2002 9:25:26 PM EDT by Am-O-Tramp]
I like my S&W 617 10 shot, It's one of the most accurate handguns I have ever shot, everyone who shoots it seems to shoot well with it in double or single action, nice trigger right out of the box.

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:35:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2002 7:45:08 AM EDT by JasonF]

Originally Posted By chaos4570

They've changed hands/locations several times over the years.

I've always liked the look and feel of the Victor. I was considering buying one some time back, but before that I did some research and found out that some Victors (ones manufactured in East Hartford) can be susceptable to hairline cracks in the frame. I think the alloy they used for the frame was to light and the problem was more pronounced from use of high velocity ammo. Usually a person had to remove the grips to spot the flaw.

Mitchell originally worked for High Standard then left the company to form Mitchell Arms. For some strange reason he didn't think (or it was a
company blunder) the High Standard name was copyrighted and continued using it until the courts ruled otherwise.

From what I've read, Mitchell Victors are to genuine High Standards as USGI mags are to USA mags. They'll work okay sometimes, but aren't even close to the real thing. Feeding problems were a big complaint. And to make matters worse,
High Standard parts are not interchangable with Mitchells. I'm pretty certain that even the mags aren't switcible.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:46:30 AM EDT
I have a Ruger Mk II target and Browning Varmint (Buckmark Target). I've had the Ruger for about five years and the Browning about a dozen.

The Browning is hands down, no questions asked, the better pistol out of the box. More accurate, better (adjustable) trigger, easier to clean (!!), better grips...

The Ruger is a fun gun none the less. I've replaced every part save the barrel and frame. New trigger, grips, sights etc. It's still a bit less accurate than the still stock Browning.

The above opinions are based on a sample of one.
Top Top