Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2003 10:03:26 AM EDT
Thinking about buying one one these.

Anyone have some experience with this rifle?
What kind of accuracy can I expect with handloads?

TIA
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't state which version, but the basic M77MKII is capable of slightly sub-MOA accuracy right out of the box in most calibers and especially so in .308 WCF (which is already an inherently accurate round). The target/varmint version is REALLY a tackdriver. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger 308 varmint/target.

Out of the box with hand loads, it would hover around .80MOA.  Factory loads will be around 1 MOA.

The receiver glassed in will get you down to .60 MOA, but the barrel heats up pretty fast, so don't try to push long strings.

The ammo cases need to be blown out, or you get too much blow-by to get you under 1 moa (read factory ammo). The factory chambers are bit loose (standard reamed), with a long throat, so blow the cases out before you start working up loads.  And, get a single round sled so you can load one round at a time by hand.  The bullet (tips) will need to be set out a bit longer in order to just kiss the lands of the rifling, which may not load into the well.

As for full blown, Re-barred (29") with bolt trued and lapped, receiver squared, glassed, trigger worked, and 36x scope, mine will hold .30 all day long with groups in the .20 range on the average.  

Out of the box, it will hold it's own with the 700 VSSF/PSS, but when it comes time to smith (upgrade), the REM is going to be the cheaper option.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Ruger M77 (standard) rifle in 30 06 . It is in a synthetic Ruger stock. I have on it a Cheap Tasco 3x9 world class scope. I shot it last week at 100 yards on paper. It is hovering right at 1 MOA with standard Remington green box 150 gn soft point. I shot it on the bench in a rest  3 shots with 3 minutets between shots. Two shots was touching and the third was 1.25 lower than the others. I put the rifle up after that.Mines been a very good riflr.Its my Big game rifle.Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#4]
"I know the answer to this one!"

I just traded my Rem 700 ADL in .223 Rem (Wal-Mart special, and boy did it shoot bad) for a stainless Ruger M77MKII with laminated stock in .223 Rem.

I was lucky.  I got a really good one and with a Bushnell 5-15X Elite 3200 on top it looks great too.

Shot first day with some Federal AE .223 55 gr. ball and got .75 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards all day long.  Could not believe it.  I was always a Remington lover but this Ruger is a tack drivers dream.

Answer, If you get lucky like I did, .75" or better if you handload. (I can't wait to try match ammo or reloads).  If you're not lucky who knows.  But I have new faith in Ruger, now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Answer, If you get lucky like I did, .75" or better if you handload. (I can't wait to try match ammo or reloads). If you're not lucky who knows. But I have new faith in Ruger, now.

There's no "luck" involved. Well-made rifles tend to shoot well in capable hands.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I get 1" groups using surplus .308 ammo out of my Ruger M77 .308, old style with tang safety and heavy barrel.

TS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top