Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 4:22:09 PM EDT
anybody have some suggestions for deer hunting ammo? Iowa is allowing some pistol caliber rifles this year.  Something for 100 yards or less, I would like farther but I'm not sure how far it will stretch.  Thank you for the ideas!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Take this over to the outdoors/deer hunting section.  You will get lots of opinions.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:54:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Hornady leverevelution

Hornady @ midway

Took a couple does with this load, zero issues and performs as stated. One double lung pass through and another clipped the heart. Both around 60yds. Used Rossi 92 carbine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I would check out the hornady XTP. One of my favorite bullets. I handload mine so I don't know what factory offerings are available but I'm sure there are good options.

By the way this would be an awesome gun to handloads for.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Btw, we have a big thread on the 77/357 and 77/44 over here.  A lot of guys (myself included) found out the XTP is really accurate out of our guns.  Unfortunately I parted with mine earlier this spring but will be picking up a new one once money permits.  (Camera lens I wanted as on sale with a big discount )
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
don't discount a good cast bullet out of the 357. my pick would be a 185gr bear tooth cast bullet atop lil gun. this combo can nip at the heals of a 30-30 (or match it if your talking 16" vs 16")

on a side note if you do choose cast make sure to clean the bore of all copper prior to shooting cast for best results.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Cor-Bon used to make a 200 grain hardcast load that was pretty snappy out of a revolver. I imagine it would do even better out of a rifle. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top