Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/10/2014 10:31:10 AM EDT

I'm suddenly feeling like I need a .22 bolt gun to go with 2 .22 pistols and a Marlin Mod 60 and a GSG-5.

My father-in-law just bought my daughter a Compact and I was very impressed with the fit and feel of the rifle for $270+tax.

How do these things shoot? The trigger feels pretty darn good and the stock actually feels better than it looks. It hasn't been shot yet, so I don't know about function yet.

I see Savage seems to be a popular choice, but I can't stand the idea of those skinny little mags sticking out the bottom. 10/22 mags are everywhere and they fit nice and flush. While I don't like the 10/22 itself, there's no arguing how well those rotary mags work.

So, fill me in! Is the RAR worth looking into for a fun, accurate plinking gun?

Thanks!

EDIT: I looked through every thread on here and couldn't find too much buzz about it so that's why I posted the thread.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll try to keep mine short.  I have a good friend (a veteran with loads of armory experience) who I turn to before most purchases as I know I'll get a straight answer.  I wanted to buy my son a rifle for his first Christmas.  I consulted said friend and told him I'd be buying a 10/22TD.  He said it's a good gun, but recommended the RAR and then I could get myself one in a larger caliber for when the little guy gets older.

I didn't listen to him.  Bought the 10/22 and am still happy.  Got to shoot his RAR and had a bit of remorse.  Very nice little gun and very fairly priced.

Fast forward another year and son #2 is here...he's getting the RAR compact.  I think it'll be a nice addition to the .22 collection we already have and between the boys they'll be able to share a bolt and semi .22 that have the same mags.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a RAR compact, I got it from Bud's guns (best deal going at the time). I was looking at the 77/22s at the time but didnt want to spend 700-800 on a bolt gun considering I already have a high end bolt gun. I wanted a plinker.

Some people thought it was just a bolt action 10/22, it only shares 2 parts with a 10/22, the magazine release and the magazine. The barrel is pressed into the receiver. Anyways..............

I put one of my pops old 3x9 bushnell scopes and used high rings (some have used mediums). the highs were perfect with the higher cheekweld pad (you get 2 different ones with the compact.

This gun shoots very well, it is picky about ammo (as with most 22s), so find one it likes it stock up. Mine likes Aquilla and Elley. It did not like Winchester Varmint in the silver boxes. They all functioned but I got better groups with the Aquilla and Elley.

The trigger is great out of the box, the gun is lightweight and easy to handle. It has pretty much become my favorite to shoot. The fact Ive got 2 10/22s made this the obvious choice since ive got a bunch of 10rd magazines already. And 10/22 mags are cheap as opposed to say the CZs which can be from 20-40bux each depending where you shop.

The only modification Ive made is trimming down the mag release, it stuck down pretty far and made dropping the magazine ultra easy, too easy infact, Some people on hunting sites have complained about bumping the mag release while hunting or moving around in the woods and dropping the mag. IMO, its a bolt gun, im not going to be doing tactical mag swaps with it, so I dont mind the extra couple seconds it takes.

Im already contacted ADCO about threading mine, they said they have done it, just gotta git r done and send it off. lol.

I say buy one and dont look back. THe LOP on the compact is prefect for me.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My opinion is that they need to hurry the hell up and offer one with a threaded muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 20" RAR.  I set it up with a bipod and a Mueller 8.5-25x44 scope.

Yeah, I know it's a sniper wannabe, but I wanted a fun range toy.

I've just had it out once for a break-in.

It functioned flawlessly and shot about a 5 inch group at 100 yards with Federal bulk pack.

The trigger was very nice and I left it at the factory settings.

The group probably would have been tighter, if I was a better shot.

I think you'll be happy with it and probably shoot better groups than I did.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 20" RAR.  I set it up with a bipod and a Mueller 8.5-25x44 scope.
Yeah, I know it's a sniper wannabe, but I wanted a fun range toy.

I've just had it out once for a break-in.
It functioned flawlessly and shot about a 5 inch group at 100 yards with Federal bulk pack.
The trigger was very nice and I left it at the factory settings.

The group probably would have been tighter, if I was a better shot.

I think you'll be happy with it and probably shoot better groups than I did.

View Quote

I did nothing for Break-in. lol. I just shoot the crap out of it.

@50yards with good ammo, you should see a 5-10shot ragged hole. as long as u dont get any fliers. lol.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a RAR compact, I got it from Bud's guns (best deal going at the time).
SNIP
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up on that one...almost jumped on one at $289 thinking that was a good deal.  Buds is getting $259 with free shipping.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up on that one...almost jumped on one at $289 thinking that was a good deal. Buds is getting $259 with free shipping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

Thanks for the heads up on that one...almost jumped on one at $289 thinking that was a good deal. Buds is getting $259 with free shipping.

Awesome! I think I need scrape another $50 up and try to get one on it's way!
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up on that one...almost jumped on one at $289 thinking that was a good deal.  Buds is getting $259 with free shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Hopefully you have a decent FFL that doesnt charge or much to do a transfer. It was still cheaper for me to order thru Buds. I think I only paid 239 free shipping earlier this year. Im not 100% but I know I was into the gun for 275 total, yea that would be right. 240 gun, 30 transfer 5 NICS.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm just waiting for a stainless version.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My opinion is that they need to hurry the hell up and offer one with a threaded muzzle.
View Quote

I am in when this happens.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I am having a very hard time not buying one of these for my new suppressor. A Boyds Tacticool and a quick trip for the barrel threading and it would be a damn good little blaster. I bought a FVSR for this purpose but really like the flush ruger mags that I have a pile of.

Just my style to change my mind before I even shoot the thing. I do wish Ruger would follow suit and make a factory heavy barrel that is threaded with a proper stock.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm just waiting for a stainless version.
View Quote

Me too, preferably threaded
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice little guns. Stock is pretty cheap but the one I have experience with shot great. The fact that it takes 10/22 mags makes it hard to beat for the price.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know if the extended 10/22 mag releases that wrap around the trigger guard would work on these?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I just jumped on the Ruger website to see if there was any news about threaded barrel versions.  

Nothing yet, but it seems like there is a relatively new RAR threaded model available in all the centerfire variants.   Ruger Predator

Hope that means a threaded rimfire model is around the corner.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just jumped on the Ruger website to see if there was any news about threaded barrel versions.  

Nothing yet, but it seems like there is a relatively new RAR threaded model available in all the centerfire variants.   Ruger Predator

View Quote

Interesting. I'd buy that in .22

I emailed Ruger and asked if they were planning on adding a threaded RAR. They said no, but that they'd forward my request to their marketing dept.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Tried one today.   Lots of great features.  Unfortunately, ruger trigger.  Sure, it can be turned lighter, but there was a ton of creep.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I emailed Ruger and asked if they were planning on adding a threaded RAR. They said no, but that they'd forward my request to their marketing dept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for checking.  Looks like CZ is getting my money then.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesnt CZ require an adapter to fix US Suppressors 1/2 x 28???
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Nice...im pretty behind the times, but that was a reason I never got into the CZs, Ive heard mixed reviews about the adapters and didnt want to mess with them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#23]
^^^ Just found out myself and thought it was worth sharing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I looked at the CZ long and hard because the quality is so high but I ended up with the savage because for my purposes it will work fine. The only reason I really like the ruger is the fact it takes flush mags that I happen to have a bunch of already or I can stick a 25rd in it for armageddon
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Picked mine up for $260 locally (compact). Its an awesome little rifle for the money.

My only gripes:
I wish it could accept 10/22 or 77/22 barrels
Needs a rubber buttpad, you cannot stand these things up on a hard floor haha.

Ruger American 3 by wareagle700, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Picked mine up for $260 locally (compact). Its an awesome little rifle for the money.

My only gripes:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/nB4GCM" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3839/14180291517_7153ef825e_b.jpg</a>Ruger American 3 by wareagle700, on Flickr
View Quote

Would be great if they could take 10/22 barrels but I seem to remember that there is a problem with that. Wish I could remember what it was
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Jeepers! That's good shooting for you, the rifle, and the ammo! I'd be pleased with one that shot half that good

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Jeepers! That's good shooting for you, the rifle, and the ammo! I'd be pleased with one that shot half that good  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I only shoot mine at 50yrds, but at 50yrds with good ammo, you can get a 10shot group in a ragged hole, Ive been shooting for 40years plus and this is easiest rifle to shoot to date, I dont know if its the ergonomics or what, but I truly enjoy shoot it. Ive been shooting 10/22s all my life and have a high end bolt .22lr but always take the RAR out before the others.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#30]
One thing that realy sticks out to me is the fast lock time. It feels much faster and smoother than the 77/22 and other bolt action .22's which helps keep a lightweight rifle on target once the sear breaks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I talked with Ruger at the NRA convention and they sited issue with states not allowing threaded barrels and they can't keep up with current demand anyways, so no reason to add a threaded version with restricted sales areas.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I talked with Ruger at the NRA convention and they sited issue with states not allowing threaded barrels and they can't keep up with current demand anyways, so no reason to add a threaded version with restricted sales areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can always send to ADCO................
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do great work but it is 140 plus shipping both ways which basically is half again the cost of the gun. A bit more if you want a thread protector. That is why Savage and CZ sell so many factory threaded guns. At manufacturer level it can be done pretty cheaply and that is appreciated on this end.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get the high demand part but I don't think there are many states, if any, that prohibit threaded muzzles on bolt action rifles. Certainly not the states that buy the most guns. Ruger can be a bit slow to respond to customer input at times but I think they are missing the boat on this one. Of course I want a stainless version as well. If they make a stainless American Rimfire I will buy both a .22LR and .22Mag and sell my 77/22.

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I get the high demand part but I don't think there are many states, if any, that prohibit threaded muzzles on bolt action rifles. Certainly not the states that buy the most guns. Ruger can be a bit slow to respond to customer input at times but I think they are missing the boat on this one. Of course I want a stainless version as well. If they make a stainless American Rimfire I will buy both a .22LR and .22Mag and sell my 77/22.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was a pretty weak argument, but that is basically what they did with the SR22 pistol.  I would also love to have one in stainless with a threaded barrel, but I hate to spend $150 to have a $250 gun threaded.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/chaltermann/media/Mobile%20Uploads/84017494-9442-478A-8BC9-55DF8147AF46_zpsrxujqtf8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x427/chaltermann/Mobile%20Uploads/84017494-9442-478A-8BC9-55DF8147AF46_zpsrxujqtf8.jpg</a>
View Quote

I take it you work at a restaurant?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought it was a pretty weak argument, but that is basically what they did with the SR22 pistol.  I would also love to have one in stainless with a threaded barrel, but I hate to spend $150 to have a $250 gun threaded.  Time will tell.
View Quote

I've seen other places advertised here on ARFCOM that are offering to thread barrels for $50-80. I think I'm going to go that route.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Just ordered my RAR today from Kentucky Gun Company. $228 cash, $235 credit card, with free shipping.

That's for the full-length one, not the compact.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/chaltermann/media/Mobile%20Uploads/84017494-9442-478A-8BC9-55DF8147AF46_zpsrxujqtf8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x427/chaltermann/Mobile%20Uploads/84017494-9442-478A-8BC9-55DF8147AF46_zpsrxujqtf8.jpg</a>

Lol yes I work in the food service industry. I was waiting for some one to comment on my home made targets.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My only gripes:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/nB4GCM" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3839/14180291517_7153ef825e_b.jpg</a>Ruger American 3 by wareagle700, on Flickr
View Quote

That's the first thing I did to mine! New rubber butt pad.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#41]
RAR page

Just got an email from Ruger today announcing threaded barrel models. No stainless but I think l'll have to go ahead a get one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
RAR page

Just got an email from Ruger today announcing threaded barrel models. No stainless but I think l'll have to go ahead a get one.
View Quote

Figures,,after I bought mine. lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/chaltermann/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3370F38C-2C03-4346-BB67-E9061F17509D_zpsgn63h6xo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x427/chaltermann/Mobile%20Uploads/3370F38C-2C03-4346-BB67-E9061F17509D_zpsgn63h6xo.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My only gripes:

<a href="http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/chaltermann/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3370F38C-2C03-4346-BB67-E9061F17509D_zpsgn63h6xo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x427/chaltermann/Mobile%20Uploads/3370F38C-2C03-4346-BB67-E9061F17509D_zpsgn63h6xo.jpg</a>

what stock is that?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

what stock is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My only gripes:

what stock is that?

Boyd Tacticool with the black paint stripped off?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Wonder if they still use the long 223 threads? And why they kept the 18" barrel??
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Sweet that will be my next purchase.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wonder if they still use the long 223 threads? And why they kept the 18" barrel??
View Quote

The new threaded 50th anniversary 10/22 is .41" so I'm hopeful.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
RAR page

View Quote

awesome. glad I've got a birthday coming up
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:55:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My only gripes:

Boyd's Tacticool in walnut with a high luster finish.
what stock is that?

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I just want a stock to for the ruger compact thats lightweight, doesn't contact the barrel, has a rubber buttpad and doesn't change the shorter LOP of the compact.

I mean, the ruger american rimfire is a awesome little deal. Why would ruger deprive me of a cheap rubber buttpad, lol. So simple and stupid yet bothers the crap out of me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top