Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/29/2013 5:05:25 PM EDT
Seems to me like the death knell for the 77/22...

We got a .22lr and a .22WMR at the LGS today and I can say for $269.99 I am impressed.

Bolt action that uses the 10/22 magazine, adjustable sights with the front being fiber optic, drilled and tapped receiver and a butt stock that has an interchangeable cheek rest for scoped use.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat.  I want one now.  And ive already got two 77/22's.  Clearly, this seems to be aimed directly at the savage FV rifles.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Question is, does it take 10/22 barrels?
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question is, does it take 10/22 barrels?
View Quote

Would be nice, but im betting they are proprietary.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
That adjustable length and comb of the stock is a very nice touch.  Good open sights, light weight, lots of available 10/22 mags and a cheap pricing structure.  Yeah, whats not to like about this rifle!  I want one even though I don't need one as I've got a 77/22 and 10/22's just because its such a nice lightweight package.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I want one, Don't know why. But I do
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:03:39 AM EDT
[#6]
It does not take the 10/22 barrels.  They are just shrunk down All Americans.  The barrel bluing on the 2 models I have seen were actual nice bluing like what is on the 77/22s.  It is a dang shame that they don't have a wood stock model.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
My LGS has a couple due in today. One is supposed to have a 18" barrel and the other a 22". I'm sure they will sell like hotcakes but as best as my LGS  can tell there is not a threaded version yet.

Why Ruger would be late for that part of the game is beyond me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 2:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Build one a stainless one with a threaded barrel and I'll buy one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:04:09 AM EDT
[#9]

They really missed the boat by not having a threaded version.
Look at the popularity of the FVSR and it's an easy conclusion that there is a significant market for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Agreed, I would be all over one of these with a threaded bull barrel.  The magazine use is great for Ruger 22 owners, just tweek it a bit more!
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:52:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting, I will have to check one out but I still love my 77/22.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, first I've heard of this new rifle.

Looks like its got a lot going for it. I think it could have been a real game changer but I think they made one huge mistake. Looks like the barrel will not be easily removable...

It appears that the barrel is press fit with a blind locking pin to the receiver? Assuming that is correct, that was a gigantic fuck up on Ruger's part.

Don't get me wrong with the features it has and at it's price point, I'm sure they will sell a lot of them but if the barrel was easily removable, I bet you they would have owned the bolt action .22 market? Hopefully they will be smart enough to at least make a threaded barrel version with no iron sights.

Also, while it has some nice features, I don't care for the stock but I'm a guy who generally prefers wood stocks

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I was going to buy my wife a 308 compact. Thinking I will buy her a .22 mag American to go with it as an understudy/ rat rifle
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I really want one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I handled one at my lgs.  Really impressed with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if Ruger will offer a .17HMR version?
They should make a takedown version as well!
I have to at least get one in .22lr.

Tommy T.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Seems to me like the death knell for the 77/22...

We got a .22lr and a .22WMR at the LGS today and I can say for $269.99 I am impressed.

Bolt action that uses the 10/22 magazine, adjustable sights with the front being fiber optic, drilled and tapped receiver and a butt stock that has an interchangeable cheek rest for scoped use.
View Quote

does it look like the receiver will take a Tech Sight?
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Won't buy until they have a threaded barrel

Looks like it's a savage next
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:08:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Ill probably get one and send to ADCO.  Im not going to wait for the factory threaded to come out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd still prefer an older 77/22. I like a wood stock and the barrel on the older version uses a v-block like a 10/22. On the other hand, I'd buy one when it it either comes with a threaded barrel OR a reputable company advertises a threading service for it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want one, Don't know why. But I do
View Quote

This. May have to sell off one of the Savages to fund this one. Then it will lead to me finally pulling the trigger on a 10/22 since the mags work for both.

Well played Ruger. Well played...
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure they will sell a lot of them but if the barrel was easily removable, I bet you they would have owned the bolt action .22 market?
View Quote

That would be a big positive for those of us who are shooters. For the majority of 22lr purchasers it might not be that big of an issue.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Build one a stainless one with a threaded barrel and I'll buy one tomorrow.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Build one in .17hmr and I'll buy one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]
My LGS got in four today (two compact/two regular) and despite my best efforts to resist buying one till they came out with a threaded verison I just came home with the compact version. I figure it will make the grandkid a nice .22.

Once I get it out of the box and give it a proper going over I'll post some pics.

One thing is for sure and that is that long-ass mag release will get shortened/rounded to a nub. It's a lost mag waiting to happen with that thing.

I mocked it up with the high comb stock insert and a scope.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I may haven led one up myself today. gotta pick up some rings now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't suppose they're planning on making a lefty version?  I just so happen to have room in the rack for a couple lefty versions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if anyone will come out with some aftermarket stocks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Last night I gave the Ruger American Rimfire Compact a good cleaning, blue loctited the action screws, adjusted the trigger to around 28 oz., and installed a Simmons .22 Mag 4 X 32 scope in tip off medium rings. This morning I took it to my range with several flavors of hunting ammo and wrung it out.

After the dust settled I found it liked CCI Sub-Sonic HPs the best with CCI HVHPs hard on it's heels. It hated Federal Auto Match. I think it's a honest .50" at 50 yard rifle with a more capable shooter behind it. I put about 175 rounds through it all totaled.

Where I thought it really excelled was in "woods conditions". I set up my target stand in the woods next to my range and tried different ranges/postions/angles/rests that approximates how I shoot when I squirrel hunt and it did very well. I found it to balance great, shoulder well, and it was very handy in the thick woods.

When I compare it to my Savage 16" w/supressor it comes up short as the Savage's trigger is far superior but I sure like the Ruger's stock a lot better and the fact it uses 10-22 mags that are a flush fit is a huge plus in the woods if you tote it with a sling.  

I tweaked the rifle a bit to get it to suit me. I cut off and rounded the mag release to a nub and removed the front sight and installed a plug screw in the hole. I would have removed the rear sight but I could not find my little bag of dovetail plugs.

I think this rifle will make a great hunting rifle for someone that is tired of throwing $$$ at a 10-22 and wants a affordable (yet capable) bolt action .22. When Ruger comes out with a threaded version they will have a real winner on their hands.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My LGS got in four today (two compact/two regular) and despite my best efforts to resist buying one till they came out with a threaded verison I just came home with the compact version. I figure it will make the grandkid a nice .22.

Once I get it out of the box and give it a proper going over I'll post some pics.

One thing is for sure and that is that long-ass mag release will get shortened/rounded to a nub. It's a lost mag waiting to happen with that thing.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2wp1r8h.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/rrio2a.jpg

I mocked it up with the high comb stock insert and a scope.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/rihm4i.jpg
View Quote

looks good.  how much you get it for?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#31]
To me, they really fucked up not making it with 10/22 barrels.  They would have OWNED the bolt action market with that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

$269.00 OTD

Quoted:
To me, they really fucked up not making it with 10/22 barrels.  They would have OWNED the bolt action market with that.

Sigh....You just can't please some folks.

I just as soon have the slimmer/lighter receiver than a half-inch wider one like you would need to use currently available 10-22 barrels not to mention the extra money it would cost the buyer.

The RAR is definately more of a "you get what you get" rifle and is harder to throw money at it like with a 10-22. IMHO there is no real need to unless you don't want to wait for a threaded version.

That said I suspect it won't be long before someone comes out with wood or tacti-cool stock options to take your money.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can get a bolt action with 10/22 (ish) barrels, it's called the 77/22. This is a slimmer, cheaper rifle and will fill a great niche (as soon as it is made in stainless with a threaded barrel - hint, hint Ruger).
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

As soon as we can get our hands on them, we will make the Leopard stock for them. We also have 2 more designs in the works if the Leopard is not your thing. I really can not wait to get some of those rifles in here but our supplier is out

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As soon as we can get our hands on them, we will make the Leopard stock for them. We also have 2 more designs in the works if the Leopard is not your thing. I really can not wait to get some of those rifles in here but our supplier is out

http://www.troupsystems.com/leopard%20rimfire/savage%20mk2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, I told you I did not think it would take long for someone to come up with other stock options.    
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, maybe I won't wait for stainless after all!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Interesting, I will have to check one out but I still love my 77/22.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been very interested in this rifle as well. So much so that it stopped me from pulling the trigger on a Savage FV-SR. Like most everybody else in this thread I want a threaded version so I can use it as a suppressor host. This prompted me to give ruger a call and see what I could find out. I spoke to a woman in the NH service dept and she told me that they heard rumors of a threaded version but management has neither confirmed or denied those claims yet. She said her opinion was that they would definitely come out with a threaded version at some point, probably sooner than later, considering the initial popularity and demand of the rifle.

She also told me that management has informed them that they will be coming out with a wood stock version in the next couple months.  Lastly, she told me that the front sight base was designed to accept 10/22 front sights which opens up a great deal of options there. I'd love to have one with some Tech sights and see what she's capable of.

I also called Boyd's to see if they had any plans for a line of stocks for the new rifle and the woman I spoke to there had never heard of it before. I would imagine that they'll start producing stocks for it as soon as they realize that it's probably going to end up being the 10/22 of bolt action .22's. one thing to consider on a stock is that the trigger guard is a molded piece of the stock so any change will require custom parts unless some other company starts putting them out.

I handled the American Rimfire and an FV-SR side-by-side yesterday and I think the Riger came out on top for the following reasons. The action was much smoother on the Ruger. Even though the FV's trigger was better it was only by a small margin, not enough to make a difference to me. The Ruger accepts all 10/22 mags, this a game changer in my book. I never have liked the way that Savage's 10 rounder stuck out of the bottom. The versatility to use factory or aftermarket 10/22 sights or use a scope is very nice and the different comb height stock peices make it very customizable. The FV has a nice scope base but the comb height is set up for irons which it doesn't have. I think that's why the Tacticool is so popular for the FV.

I'll buy a RAR for sure when they come out with a threaded version, if I can wait that long. I'll really be excited when Boyd's announces a Tacticool stock for it.  Can't wait!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#39]
We got an RAR 22MAG in at work.  First impression is very good.  The first 22LR RAR in the store will be mine.

I have a Savage MkII at home and do not think it looks good next to the Ruger.

They definitely need to offer the threaded barreled version.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I would like to remove the front sight on mine, I was thinking of putting a set screw in there but there really isn't much point. Maybe I'll just get it chopped and thread and call it a day. I'm psyched to shoot it, I think I'm gonna try to hit the range tomorrow and test it out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wow, first I've heard of this new rifle.

Looks like its got a lot going for it. I think it could have been a real game changer but I think they made one huge mistake. Looks like the barrel will not be easily removable...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/cgv69/RugerAA22_zps47643b0f.jpg

It appears that the barrel is press fit with a blind locking pin to the receiver? Assuming that is correct, that was a gigantic fuck up on Ruger's part.

Don't get me wrong with the features it has and at it's price point, I'm sure they will sell a lot of them but if the barrel was easily removable, I bet you they would have owned the bolt action .22 market? Hopefully they will be smart enough to at least make a threaded barrel version with no iron sights.

Also, while it has some nice features, I don't care for the stock but I'm a guy who generally prefers wood stocks

View Quote

Was wondering how easy it would be to change barrels....they look nice and when they bring one out in Winchester 17 Super Mag I'm on it!

Gun Blast Reviews Ruger American BA 22RF
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#43]
neat rifle, I didnt know they existed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

After the dust settled I found it liked CCI Sub-Sonic HPs the best with CCI HVHPs hard on it's heels. It hated Federal Auto Match. I think it's a honest .50" at 50 yard rifle with a more capable shooter behind it. I put about 175 rounds through it all totaled.

Where I thought it really excelled was in "woods conditions". I set up my target stand in the woods next to my range and tried different ranges/postions/angles/rests that approximates how I shoot when I squirrel hunt and it did very well. I found it to balance great, shoulder well, and it was very handy in the thick woods.

I think this rifle will make a great hunting rifle for someone that is tired of throwing $$$ at a 10-22 and wants a affordable (yet capable) bolt action .22. When Ruger comes out with a threaded version they will have a real winner on their hands.
View Quote

Great range report, and I think you just sold me on an American Rimfire Compact.  I've been considering picking up a relatively inexpensive .22 bolt action for a squirrel rifle since I set up my 10/22 with Tech Sights as a trainer.  As much as I like the Tech Sights, for picking off squirrels I want optics.  The American Rimfire looks like a winner, and the fact I can use any of my current 10/22 mags is a bonus.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Looking at the review on Gunblast it looks like the ejector is attached to one of those blocks in the stock.

Whoever gets one, if you get a chance, can you verify as well as see if that block is removable.?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Looking at the review on Gunblast it looks like the ejector is attached to one of those blocks in the stock.

Whoever gets one, if you get a chance, can you verify as well as see if that block is removable.?
View Quote

I have one, I'll go check it out right now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#47]
It is fixed to the rear bedding block.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Thx for the pics.

Can that rear block be removed at all?

Can the ejector be removed?

Making and getting the heat treat correct on those parts is no fun at all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thx for the pics.

Can that rear block be removed at all?

Can the ejector be removed?

Making and getting the heat treat correct on those parts is no fun at all.
View Quote

When I tore mine apart to clean it the block came out as did the ejector cause I removed and cleaned the oil off it and the block. Damn there was a lot of oil in there.

LOL.....I hope it was supposed to.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 2:13:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I looked at one at my LGS yesterday, it had a nice solid feel and looked like a winner. I will definitely buy a stainless threaded version.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top