Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/26/2004 3:42:25 AM EST
Anyone have one, I saw one the other day and WANT IT....
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:22:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1shott:

I love my 10/17. It's absolute hell on rabbits and crows.

Don't particularly like buying ammo for it, though...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:44:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Redcap:

How much did you pay? Last time I checked, they were pretty steep.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:15:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By GodBlessTexas:

The one I looked at was around $450......about the same as a 10/22 auto-mag....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:23:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By GodBlessTexas:

I did some (easy) auto work for the owner of a local gunshop and he cut me a deal. $300 out the door.

Going price ranges between $410-470.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:33:16 PM EST

The one I looked at was around $450......about the same as a 10/22 auto-mag....

I can get a 10/22 in .22WMR for $299 when Academy runs them on sale. The only problem is making sure they actually have one. Normal price was $350-$375. I've never understood why the .22WMR rifles are so much more expensive than the .22lr 10/22's. There's not much difference in the guns that would indicate a 100% increase in price with the magnum. Ruger could sell tons of the .17 HMR and .22 WMR rifles if they dropped the price to $250/rifle. Hell, I'd buy two. It's just hard to drop $450 on a rimfire when I can get a Rem 700 Classic in .221 Fireball for that price. YMMV

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:55:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 6:56:36 PM EST by jblachly]
Is it a 17 HMR or 17HM2?

edit: I see no semiauto 17HMR -or- 17HM2 on the ruger website (?)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:06:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 8:09:59 PM EST by GodBlessTexas]

Originally Posted By jblachly:
Is it a 17 HMR or 17HM2?

edit: I see no semiauto 17HMR -or- 17HM2 on the ruger website (?)

The 10/17 is a .17HMR, and is built upon the 10/22 Magnum action.

The .17 HM2 can be used in the 10/22 LR rifles if they are rebarrelled, and there are a couple of manufacturers who are making replacedment barrels for the 10/22.

Here's the link to Ruger's website on the 10/17 with the technical specs.

www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/News-01-16-2004B.html

MSRP is $510!@#

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:15:03 PM EST
How much louder is 17HMR than .22LR? There will be a lot more noise toward the shooter at the ejection port in an autoloader ...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:50:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By jblachly:
How much louder is 17HMR than .22LR? There will be a lot more noise toward the shooter at the ejection port in an autoloader ...

I fired a few rounds through my Savage 17HMR yesterday, and it was not loud at all. To me it is a little less noisy than a .22 long rifle..... YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:07:20 PM EST
As far as I know, the 10/22 mag has a machined steel receiver and tungsten bolt. The 10/22 LR is cast aluminum receiver and steel bolt.

I"ve got my 10/22 mag just about finished, only 80 bucks into it. Need to finish machining the bolt and it's just about set.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:30:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By wintermute76:
As far as I know, the 10/22 mag has a machined steel receiver and tungsten bolt. The 10/22 LR is cast aluminum receiver and steel bolt.

I"ve got my 10/22 mag just about finished, only 80 bucks into it. Need to finish machining the bolt and it's just about set.

That's for that bit of info. After doing some research, you're right. The receiver is milled steel with some upgrades built into the receiver. Apparently the bolt isn't tungsten, it's a HMA casting. Those two would certainly explain the price.

How'd you build up your 10/22 mag? I've got plans for converting a 10/22 LR into a WMR, but I'm not sure if I should do it. I can get 10/22 80% steel receivers for $65, so that might be an option.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:21:35 PM EST
I"m not sure exactly what HMA is, but the mag bolt is a tungsten alloy of sort. At any rate it's heavy

I had thought about the conversion before, but decided it'd be easier to make one. Well long story short, it's not, but definitely more fun. I made it from a chunk of 303 bar stock. I've had it out shooting already, it just doesn't take the magazine until I put the clearance cuts in the bottom of the bolt. The bolt is made from a piece of Anviloy (90% tungsten, and the reamainder nickel, iron and moly...fun stuff )

As far as my money into it, I picked up a new factory take off .22 mag barrel and stock on eBay for $25, a trigger assembly from ruger for $40 IIRC, magazine for $10 and a couple small things like stock bolts etc...

Now I just need to get time to finish it up. And hopefully before I start anything else.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:32:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By wintermute76:
I"m not sure exactly what HMA is, but the mag bolt is a tungsten alloy of sort. At any rate it's heavy

HMA stands for heavy metal alloy. which tungsten may be part of. The interesting thing is that it's cast, and the HMA casting process sounds interesting.

I had thought about the conversion before, but decided it'd be easier to make one. Well long story short, it's not, but definitely more fun. I made it from a chunk of 303 bar stock. I've had it out shooting already, it just doesn't take the magazine until I put the clearance cuts in the bottom of the bolt. The bolt is made from a piece of Anviloy (90% tungsten, and the reamainder nickel, iron and moly...fun stuff )

As far as my money into it, I picked up a new factory take off .22 mag barrel and stock on eBay for $25, a trigger assembly from ruger for $40 IIRC, magazine for $10 and a couple small things like stock bolts etc...

Now I just need to get time to finish it up. And hopefully before I start anything else.

Sounds like fun. I wonder if I could do the same with a Tanneryshop 80% lower.

Top Top