Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/11/2018 1:58:31 AM
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 11/12/2018 7:02:59 PM EST
Thinking about picking one of these up as a lightweight field gun. How is the reliability and durability of the AR mag version?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:32:20 AM EST
No problems with mine. A few hundred rounds with no malfunctions. They are sweet little guns
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:06:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/15/2018 3:07:25 PM EST by Capt_Destro]
If my state goes full leftist I think I'll be picking up one of these.

What is with the barrel finish?

Nitrided, Parkerized, Black oxide?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:38:01 PM EST
I have a couple thousand rounds thru mine now. Never a hickup.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:18:57 PM EST
Well I pulled the trigger.

Use price match on buds to get it down to $425, without the cash discount it was $435 shipped.

Ended up putting it on layaway.

I was thinking of putting a Nikon P-223 on it. Seems like a decent budget scope with a fixed 3x power.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:33:23 PM EST
I bought one and I like it. No problem getting some MOA groups with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 scope on it. The 10 round mag worked fine but is pretty loose in the mag well. An old surplus military 20rd mag fit noticeably tighter and also worked fine.

Only problem with mine was protruding primers with factory ammo after firing. It's going back to Ruger to get the headspace checked.

Oh, check the picatiny rail screws. Mine were loose.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:17:34 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cb4017:
I bought one and I like it. No problem getting some MOA groups with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 scope on it. The 10 round mag worked fine but is pretty loose in the mag well. An old surplus military 20rd mag fit noticeably tighter and also worked fine.

Only problem with mine was protruding primers with factory ammo after firing. It's going back to Ruger to get the headspace checked.

View Quote
Usually degrease/loctiite screws out of the box.

Scratch that Nikon, I picked up a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x for only $110.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:26:43 PM EST

Mine has slayed some squirrels, still waiting on its first coyote.

It’s like any other ruger, good barrel but crappy stock.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:04:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By bondryan:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/343566/8DD326EE-10DB-4E5C-AF81-8B3DFE606C54-726792.jpg

View Quote
Is it hollow inside? Wonder if you can fill it with foam or something.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:42:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bondryan:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/343566/8DD326EE-10DB-4E5C-AF81-8B3DFE606C54-726792.jpg

It sure hoping magpul comes out with a replacement.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:53:08 AM EST

View Quote
More than likely a .223 spec chamber, what ammo were you running?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:42:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:

More than likely a .223 spec chamber, what ammo were you running?
View Quote
Possible. Though one of the reasons I got the Ranch over the Predator was this is supposed to have a 5.56 chamber and the Predator is .223.

Ammo was Federal XM-193 (LC-13) and a mix of a few different handloads.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:41:30 PM EST
Just dropped a doe with mine
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:18:24 AM EST
The 193 is known to be a the warm side and American Eagle a wee bit more. An option is to have a smith run a reamer in it but after Ruger looks at it and if they say, nothing is wrong.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:10:29 AM EST
The 193 is known to be a the warm side and American Eagle a wee bit more. An option is to have a smith run a reamer in it but after Ruger looks at it and if they say, nothing is wrong.
View Quote
I normally don't shoot 193 much. I was using it to sight the scope. I normally shoot reloads using 68-77 gr bullets. If Ruger says the rifle is good to go I'll just shoot and enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:04:17 PM EST
Great....another to add to my ever-growing list of "wants/needs". :)
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:43:52 PM EST
I normally don't shoot 193 much. I was using it to sight the scope. I normally shoot reloads using 68-77 gr bullets. If Ruger says the rifle is good to go I'll just shoot and enjoy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
the nice thing about Ruger is even if they are wrong and it has issues down the road, they'll pretty much always make things right

My dad still gets free springs shipped to him periodically for his security six and I don't think I was even born by the time they stopped making those.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:34:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/4/2018 10:49:26 PM EST by Capt_Destro]
Just got mine today.

My barrel is touching the handguard :(

Left has a gap, right part of handguard is really close. Cannot do the dollar bill trick to test free floating.

Don't know if the handguard/stock is warped or what. Contacting Ruger before I sand it.

I tried removing the action and reseating it.

I wonder if something is fucky with the bedding areas.

Only thing I did to the rifle was install an A2 flash hider. Barrel was clamped in the vice with blocks for that. I believe it was like this before, I just didn't notice it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:17:19 AM EST
Just got mine today.

My barrel is touching the handguard :(

Left has a gap, right part of handguard is really close. Cannot do the dollar bill trick to test free floating.

Don't know if the handguard/stock is warped or what. Contacting Ruger before I sand it.

I tried removing the action and reseating it.

I wonder if something is fucky with the bedding areas.

Only thing I did to the rifle was install an A2 flash hider. Barrel was clamped in the vice with blocks for that. I believe it was like this before, I just didn't notice it.
View Quote
Mine is the same way. It was still pretty easy to shoot some MOA or better groups with reloaded ammo using 68 and 77 gr match bullets so not something I'm overly concerned about. Really easy fix is wrap some sandpaper around a dowel and do some light sanding in the barrel channel on the side that is touching.

It's at Ruger now getting the head space checked.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:23:20 PM EST

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:49:33 PM EST
Probably about what mine looked like. Your aluminum pillars look fine. It's just a cheap plastic stock. You can try taking a hair dryer to heat it up and bending it a little or try my earlier suggestion of sandpaper on a dowel rod to add a little clearance.

I'll bet it will probably shoot pretty good as is.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:31:08 PM EST
I was thinking of using wood shims so each side is equal while hitting it with heat. I was going to leave it like that for about a week.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:33:44 PM EST
Ruger is sending me out a new stock.

Don't think they want me to send the old one in. If that is the case I might play around with/realign/sand the extra.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:36:36 PM EST
I've been thinking, It's possible to open up the area by the magazine release and cut a relief so the whole button can be pressed and not just half of it.

It's also possible to remove some material so an ambi-mag release can be used.

Tempted to do this on the old stock/mess with it.
Top Top