Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2018 6:42:01 PM EDT
How is the package rifle and 4-12x Vortex combo? Specifically the Predator that takes the AICS magazine

This looks like a decent combo
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The rifle is fantastic.  I never tried the scope though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rifle is fantastic.  I never tried the scope though.
View Quote
How does it group at 100yds?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
My 6.5 CM RAP w/ AI stock shoots <1 MOA at 100 yd thus far w/ Hornady American Gunner.  This weekend I will see how it really does now that I have the trigger adjusted, comb height set, barrel channel relieved, brake installed, and final optics setup attached.  I will also get to try other ammo.  I wanted to make sure the gun could shoot before I put ANY time or money ($7 stock pack, $71 Rugged brake for my can) into it.  It is infinitely more comfortable to get behind now.  I just cannot wrap my mind around why on earth Ruger did not fix the comb height and barrel channel when they revised the stock for the AI magazine well.  Adjusting the grip to be a slightly sharper angle would've been a bonus, but that is purely subjective.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How does it group at 100yds?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
nice
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
@strat81

Have you noticed the RAP in 6.5C's groups opening up around the 3rd  - 5th shots?

Got my son's sighted in with Hornady 139gr American Whitetail and noticed the barrel got hot after about 3-4 shots. We did have direct sunlight and about 55 degrees that day.

ETA: Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44, it's not the Vortex that comes in the package deal

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@strat81

Have you noticed the RAP in 6.5C's groups opening up around the 3rd  - 5th shots?

Got my son's sighted in with Hornady 139gr American Whitetail and noticed the barrel got hot after about 3-4 shots. We did have direct sunlight and about 55 degrees that day.

ETA: Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44, it's not the Vortex that comes in the package deal

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99724/20181202_162013_jpg-764845.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99724/20181202_161931_jpg-764847.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99724/20181201_112854_jpg-764848.JPG
View Quote
@RumbleTruck

If you look at my groups above, you'll notice a distinct 3+1 to most of them.  I don't know if that's the fourth shot getting pulled because of my lousy shooting or because of the gun.

All of my shooting has been with a Silencerco Omega attached, so it gets hotter more quickly than a bare rifle.

OTOH, those groups are right around 1 MOA.  For a $400 rifle with factory ammo in a mediocre stock, I'm happy with the results.

Make sure the barrel isn't touching the stock (mine needed some Dremel love to the stock's barrel channel).  Make sure the stock is torqued correctly and that rings and bases are tight too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@RumbleTruck

If you look at my groups above, you'll notice a distinct 3+1 to most of them.  I don't know if that's the fourth shot getting pulled because of my lousy shooting or because of the gun.

All of my shooting has been with a Silencerco Omega attached, so it gets hotter more quickly than a bare rifle.

OTOH, those groups are right around 1 MOA.  For a $400 rifle with factory ammo in a mediocre stock, I'm happy with the results.

Make sure the barrel isn't touching the stock (mine needed some Dremel love to the stock's barrel channel).  Make sure the stock is torqued correctly and that rings and bases are tight too.
View Quote
The barrel stays free floated cold and hot. I'm happy with the rifle too. Since its for hunting, the cold bore shot is the most important.  Going to try some 140gr hunting ammo to see if it is more accurate than the 129 gr stuff
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Can’t speak to that specific package but I snatch an American Predator GoWild model the other day for 521 OTD.

Camo stock, cerakote, muzzle break and AI stock.

I’m hoping to shoot it a little this week, I’ve got Hornady ELDM, ELDX and Federal 140 BTSP loads to try out. I don’t expect it to perform like my Bergara but I’m sure it’ll be very nice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The barrel stays free floated cold and hot. I'm happy with the rifle too. Since its first hunting, the comdex bore shot is the most important.  Going to try some 140gr hunting ammo to see if it is more accurate than the 139 gr stuff
View Quote
IME, the Hornady 129gr American Whitetail wasn't quite as accurate as the 143gr Precision Hunter ELD-X.  However, the difference was minimal and wouldn't be a factor at any reasonable hunting distance.

If I was hunting, I'd be more concerned about how the different bullets performed on game.

PS - This stuff is a steal right now for paper punching.  Hornady 1x 6.5CM brass sells for 30-35 cents per piece, so if you sell the brass, you're looking at 40 cents per round for factory 1 MOA ammo.  It wasn't that long ago that brass-cased 5.56 M193 was going for that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Just picked up the Go wild version too.  My first 6.5 CM too.

Still not sure what optic to go with, this is going to be an elk gun and I’m going to keep it light.  I do have a leopuld 2.5x10 MRT sitting around, but it is huge and heavy.  Probably use it for a while on the range, but I’m eyeing this 1.5x5.  Only 500.00!

Attachment Attached File

I have stumbled onto the mother lode of optics, pretty much everything but Vortex.  He got shut shut off by his distributor for selling them too cheap.

Everything from Meopta, Steiner, leopuld and more than I could count.   Total wreck in the storeroom though.

Would medium height rings be a good start, that Leopuld MRT has nice rings, but AR height?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got mine 2 months ago.

Imo, the scope is not worthy of the rifle if you are trying to hit 1000 yards.

Also, it's not torqued down from factory.  Check it all.

Get the gun, buy decent rings, get a decent scope.

I put my scope on my 30-30 and my viper on the predator.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m not going to be shooting elk at 1k, most of mine are taken under 100.  Sometimes, I have to reach out 400, but that’s pretty rare.

That Leopuld 1.5x5 is a discontinued one and it looks like it was a 800$ scope.  I’m buying that, but only after I spend another hour crawling thru his stock.  I’ll still buy it, I just might end up with two new scopes.  No telling what I’ll find, and the shop owner has only a rough clue as to what’s up there.

I needed a new elk gun like I need a membership at DU. FML.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I do have this Leopuld 3.5x10 MRT glass, I just need some lower rings.

Attachment Attached File

Lower Rings!  And whoever said check the rail mount screws was correct.   One was very loose, and the other 3 were barely snug.

I pulled them all, cleaned the oil off the threads, put a bit of blue locktite on and torqued them all.

This 3.5x10 is really nice glass, but is big and heavy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Just put a magpul stock on mine in 308.  Just a heads up, magpul makes a zero rise cheek weld if you go w low rings.  It was kind of hard to find, but its on their site for $10.
Also put in a timney trigger.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top