Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 1:27:47 AM EDT
I have about 20 miles on my FILBE from oldgrouch. The load lifter straps came worn so bad they are not adjustable and this bugs the shit out of me. I was about to buy woodland alice and molle gear and make a HELLCAT with the frame when it hit me... Why not use MOLLE straps with the FILBE bag? I have some woodland MOLLE II straps coming in the mail, and I will try this before I go full hellcat. I will let you know how it turns out.  I was issued ILBE stuff and I have an ILBE as my never coming home bag. The project FILBE is my camping/hiking bag because I hike in the Smokies a couple times a year and I prefer the load management of the FILBE bag. for those who have never seen one up close, it has internal straps that compress the load to the frame and individual compression straps that compress the sides, top compartment/lid and sleep system compartment separately. If it works out, it would be a great mod for those looking to upgrade the ALICE packs on their hellcat packs. The FILBE main bags are going for around 30-50 bucks right now depending on condition without frame or suspension. Filbe shoulder straps are a cool $100 bucks and thus not worth a second thought. One could source any of several different mil surplus packs for that alone.

I am 6'4" and 200 lbs. and I welcome any advice!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
What about replacing the two sections of 1" 3220-spec Invista IR webbing on the Shoulder Strap assy so you can adjust the load lifters as intended?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Can it be fixed? The straps are sewn in. Would a taylor do that kind of work? I have considered cutting them and patching a new one in using a triglide and some clever sewing, but the MOLLE strap was only 16 bucks used. I'm not out much if it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks raf! A member has offered to fix my lifters for the low low price of return shipping. I just put the straps in the mail, with a very special gift included. I may still play around with the molle straps. I have alot of raw materials around the shop. Maybe I can get a little more torso length . I will definately update with any progress. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up. I have a set of the repair buckles from the link you posted. In hindsight, I wish I would have built an alice pack. The FILBE main pack has performed alot like a MOLLE II, but with a higher price tag and no parts abailable. The FILBE assault pack is another story all together. If you need a large-ish back pack, you would be hard pressed to find something better.

I have a Co worker who has used the FILBE down range, and he buckled the shoulder straps into the female buckles on the lid for the assault pack when the others started to fail. He said it worked fine. I don't think those buckles were made to hold that load, but at least these Marines had some kind of back up to keep the straps attached.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The almost 2 inches it gives you isn't enough for us tall people. Too much weight on the hips hurts my back anyway.

Thanks for the info, raf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top