Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2012 8:19:39 AM EDT
Well seeing how of late I am liking the older style firearms and playing less with the black rifles I traded my dad out of a Cimmaron Uberti 1873 SAA with 4 5/8" brl.  The other day I was hitting everything I aimed at with it.  I am not new to the SAA as I have a 1st Gen .32 WCF Colt and a USFA Turnbull 7 1/2" SAA.  I have always liked the .357 mag and this revolver is in that caliber.

This weekend I was at the LGS and they had a 20" oct Braztech Rossi and a 16" Rossi.  Bringing the rifle up to the shoulder I really liked the carbine better and the wood fit was superior to the other rifle.  I figured it would be a nice little winter project carbine since I have guys really like the Rossi's and they are a lot cheaper than the Winchester.  I still plan on getting the Winchester 92 Trapper back from my buddy.  So basically I have a new woods combo that shoot the same ammo and I can play around loading for it.refinish the woo

Now this is what I have in mind for modding––refinish the wood a the dry nasty stain looks yuck, do something about the safety, stone the innards and smooth it up (already pretty smooth), and wrap the lever with some latigo lace.

What would you guys suggest for other things and what is that site that has the instructions for working on Rossi rifles and safetys?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What would you guys suggest for other things .................. ?
Thanks

From that point, I would leave it alone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one 16" .357, it's a pretty good rifle, but it shoots about eight inches high at 100 yards.  I'm looking for a suitable, substantially taller, front sight.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have one 16" .357, it's a pretty good rifle, but it shoots about eight inches high at 100 yards.  I'm looking for a suitable, substantially taller, front sight.

I have the same issue with my .45 colt.  I am thinking about gluing a 5/32" welding rod on top of the front sight post to bring down the point of impact.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Marbles .5 brass bead. And the bullseye rear. $46 total. They are awesome.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The Wolf spring kit is a nice addition.  I like to polish the slide locking bars.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one 16" .357, it's a pretty good rifle, but it shoots about eight inches high at 100 yards. I'm looking for a suitable, substantially taller, front sight.

I have the same issue with my .45 colt. I am thinking about gluing a 5/32" welding rod on top of the front sight post to bring down the point of impact.

A good welder can mig or tig the sight into a taller version. I had to do it for a Rossi pump .22 and it is completely undetectible.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what is that site that has the instructions for working on Rossi rifles and safetys?

This is a good site for Rossi parts and he has a DVD to do your own action job.  Also he is great to email for advice if you have an issues with the Rossi.  
http://store.stevesgunz.com/
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Get Steve's DVD and parts kit (mag plug & ejector spring) under 'kits' plus the bolt safety plug under 'parts' to slick up your M92 at his store HERE.  For the stock, check out my recent post HERE for an easy finish that will give your Rossi some POP!

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the links.

COsteve, the link for the stock is not working.  Is there another way to get to it?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks for the links.

COsteve, the link for the stock is not working.  Is there another way to get to it?

Thanks again

It's working fine for me.  Still having issues?

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one 16" .357, it's a pretty good rifle, but it shoots about eight inches high at 100 yards. I'm looking for a suitable, substantially taller, front sight.

I have the same issue with my .45 colt. I am thinking about gluing a 5/32" welding rod on top of the front sight post to bring down the point of impact.

A good welder can mig or tig the sight into a taller version. I had to do it for a Rossi pump .22 and it is completely undetectible.

I can heliarc I just have a flux core MIG welded at my house so I am not able to weld the sight myself.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for the links.

Thanks again

It's working fine for me.  Still having issues?

Working now, who knows.   I know my clicky skills can be sketchy at times LOL.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, last night I went to Steves site and read up on it.   Do I need the kit of tools that he offers or can I use my own Brownell bits and punches?  I know I want the safety thing gone, and the rifle is pretty smooth but not as smooth as his 5 second video shows.  How hard is it to go, I am pretty mechanically inclined so the video and parts should get me going?  I have messed with a lot of stuff but not really the lever guns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK, last night I went to Steves site and read up on it.   Do I need the kit of tools that he offers or can I use my own Brownell bits and punches?  I know I want the safety thing gone, and the rifle is pretty smooth but not as smooth as his 5 second video shows.  How hard is it to go, I am pretty mechanically inclined so the video and parts should get me going?  I have messed with a lot of stuff but not really the lever guns.

I've got a pair of 16 inch stainless trappers (357 and 44) that Mr Young has worked his magic on.  They are both incredibly smooth.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Warhawk, I know good things come to those who wait but 10-12 months for an action job is just too long for me.

Steve, I just got back from looking at your link on the Watco.  WOW, that made all the difference in the world.  My carbine has the same dull looking wood so that will be a major upgrade in the looks.  The wood is a bit proud in one spot on the stock and the forend, I  had thought about bringing it down, staining than a varnish type finish like the old days, but now I am not so sure it is bad enough to mess with.  And you are pure evil posting the CCH framed oct brl, that is the other one I was looking at but the butt plate metal did not fir real well and was going to take a lot of work to mess with it.  Now after the carbine I will be looking for the oct. 20" brl and set it up with a tang sight.  I love the work that you did on your rifles!  Thanks for sharing the link and work with me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Warhawk, I know good things come to those who wait but 10-12 months for an action job is just too long for me.

Steve, I just got back from looking at your link on the Watco.  WOW, that made all the difference in the world.  My carbine has the same dull looking wood so that will be a major upgrade in the looks.  The wood is a bit proud in one spot on the stock and the forend, I  had thought about bringing it down, staining than a varnish type finish like the old days, but now I am not so sure it is bad enough to mess with.  And you are pure evil posting the CCH framed oct brl, that is the other one I was looking at but the butt plate metal did not fir real well and was going to take a lot of work to mess with it.  Now after the carbine I will be looking for the oct. 20" brl and set it up with a tang sight.  I love the work that you did on your rifles!  Thanks for sharing the link and work with me.

You get on Steve's list, then they contact you when it's time to send your rifle in.  It won't be gone more than 2-3 weeks, at least mine weren't.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OK, last night I went to Steves site and read up on it.   Do I need the kit of tools that he offers or can I use my own Brownell bits and punches?  .

Same questiom regarding the tools
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Last evening I placed the scout mount rail on my rifle and then placed my Bushnell red dot scope on the rifle.  Sunday I hope to go to the range and try out the rifle to see how the dot scope works.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#19]
May have a problem with the carbine.  The only .357 mag I have on hand is the Remington HP 158 gr that you get bulk packed from Walmart.  When the rd pops up it doesn't feed into the chamber, acts like it is catching on the top of the chamber.  This is a round hp design so who knows.  Not sure if I should mess with it, try other rds, or what.  I was all stocked to go shoot it but now I can't
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, last night I went to Steves site and read up on it.   Do I need the kit of tools that he offers or can I use my own Brownell bits and punches?  .

Same questiom regarding the tools

No, you'd be fine with your own.  I made a set of wood 'jaws' for my regular vice to protect the barrel while working on it and besides the punches, all you'll need is a small paperclip to retain the hammer spring.

Steve's DVD is straight forward and he explains and shows you everything you need to do to slick it up yourself.  If you can't do the job after watching his video, you shouldn't be taking apart even a Glock; it's that straight forward and informative.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Marbles .5 brass bead. And the bullseye rear. $46 total. They are awesome.

Had this setup (.475 front) on my .44 mag carbine, but swapped out the bullseye rear with a folding leaf to get my elevation back down to where it needed to be without swapping to a .500 front. With the bullseye rear it was still a few inches high at 100 yards. The folding leaf has enough height adjustment to get it dialed in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top