Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/13/2007 10:24:14 PM EDT
How is this stuff? I found some at a local store and was thinking of snatching it up... wanna make sure it doesn't have any problems first.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:59:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sparsky:
I know certain years were iffy but i don't remember what year. (older stuff)

The comment of "Powder filled by a blind guy using a soup spoon" came out a time or two on the 1919 forums.

I'm not sure there was ever an issue with Romainian... Yugo on the other hand had issues sometimes, same with Turk.

I probably have 20-30k of Romanian left. Good Stuff. Buy all you can.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:46:29 AM EDT

The comment of "Powder filled by a blind guy using a soup spoon" came out a time or two on the 1919 forums.

I don't think so, its the best most consistant stuff thats been available for years. Nobody on the 1919 forum has ever had a problem with it. It is always recommended before the yugo or turk. Unless you can find something thats non corrosive its the best 8mm you can get.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:23:43 AM EDT
My appologizes Maybe it was from a different country. It has been a 2-3 years since I bought it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:07:29 PM EDT
The 50's brass cased stuff is best but largely unavailable. The recently available 70's steel cased stuff has a few complaints about blow by. Wear shooting glasses.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By acmech1:

I don't think so, its the best most consistant stuff thats been available for years. Nobody on the 1919 forum has ever had a problem with it. It is always recommended before the yugo or turk. Unless you can find something thats non corrosive its the best 8mm you can get.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:17:45 PM EDT
It smells like piss after shooting and sometimes has blow by, but other than that it's good stuff. I've probably shot 500 rounds without problems other than some oil on my shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:20:38 PM EDT
Perhaps it depends on what you shoot it in, and who you talk to. The 1919 guys used to look down their noses at the brass case 50's yugo, it has blown a some of topcovers off of guns, just ask around over there. The 70's yugo is supposed to be better I think, but I've never shot it. I have shot a lot of the 50's yugo thru my 1919 with no problems, and I've also shot a lot of the steel case romanian. (I've had split cases with both) I bought a lot of both when they were available. Between the two, the romanian is best as far as consistancy, once in a while the yugo will give me a nice fireball I didn't expect. Not real big but I notice it. I've only shot the yugo thru my 24/47 mauser and I love it. Honestly I love them both. The guys who shoot 8mm in their semi mg42's swear by the steel case romanian 8mm and don't shoot anything else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:42:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By acmech1:
Perhaps it depends on what you shoot it in, and who you talk to. The 1919 guys used to look down their noses at the brass case 50's yugo, it has blown a some of topcovers off of guns, just ask around over there. The 70's yugo is supposed to be better I think, but I've never shot it. I have shot a lot of the 50's yugo thru my 1919 with no problems, and I've also shot a lot of the steel case romanian. (I've had split cases with both) I bought a lot of both when they were available. Between the two, the romanian is best as far as consistancy, once in a while the yugo will give me a nice fireball I didn't expect. Not real big but I notice it. I've only shot the yugo thru my 24/47 mauser and I love it. Honestly I love them both. The guys who shoot 8mm in their semi mg42's swear by the steel case romanian 8mm and don't shoot anything else.

I've blown about 8 top covers in the past 2 years shooting the 50's yugo. The barrel throats were too shallow for the 50's yugo or something. Anyway, 30 bucks for a new topcover is cheap. I also got a few of my 8mm barrels 'deep throated' but I haven't tried that out yet. Usually it is one lot 11/54 which is bad for yugo.

Back on subject...

Romanian is the best 8mm out there if you can find it. Buy it without worries.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:23:14 AM EDT
I've increased the throat on my barrels also, including the new chrome lined one that was supposed to be throated for yugo 8mm.
Top Top